Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Just Relax

Default Screwed by Carnival

I was informed by guest relations today that the President of Carnival decided to provide NO compensation or accommodation to any of the guests on the Holiday which departed New Orleans on Sep 11, 2004, despite not visiting a single scheduled port due to the hurricane and returning in 16' seas to Galveston (not New Orleans) where departing guests had to make their own arrangements home (at their own cost). Upon departing the ship each guest was given a notice to contact Carnival guest relations and receive accommodation for this unfortunate cruise. So much for their "guarantee".

We have already booked and paid for the Destiny departing San Juan on Oct 2, 2004, or I would certainly cancel that trip and book with a reliable cruise line. Hereafter we shall avoid Carnival and cruise only with cruise lines that truly care for their guests.
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Passenger

Default It's called the fine print

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO GUESTS

THIS DOCUMENT IS A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT ISSUED BY CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES TO, AND ACCEPTED BY, GUEST SUBJECT TO THE IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPEARING BELOW.

NOTICE: THE ATTENTION OF GUEST IS ESPECIALLY DIRECTED TO CLAUSES 1 AND 13 THROUGH 17, WHICH CONTAIN IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS ON THE RIGHTS OF GUESTS TO ASSERT CLAIMS AGAINST CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES, THE VESSEL, THEIR AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES, AND OTHERS.

IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT - READ CAREFULLY
(b) Carnival's vessels visit numerous ports in a number of countries. Guests assume responsibility for their own safety and Carnival cannot guarantee Guest's safety at any time. The United States Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental and tourist organizations regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers and Carnival strongly recommends Guests obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. Carnival assumes no responsibility for gathering said information. The Guest acknowledges that the cruise may be booked in a location that is susceptible to severe weather systems, including but not limited to, hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, and that Carnival reserves the right to alter the ship's course, ports of call, itinerary, activity and shore excursions to avoid such weather systems and insure the comfort and safety of the Guest and crew.

Old September 29th, 2004, 06:35 PM
jamiegunter

Default Re: Screwed by Carnival

That sucks, with all the compensation they have been giving too.
Maybe they were at a point were if you were able to get on the ship
and go out to sea that they couldnt afford to give any compensation.
They have really lost alot of money recently with the hurricanes. Its
a cruiser beware during hurricane season, never know whats gonna
happen.
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Yep. Booking during hurricane season has it's drawbacks, and one of them is the ship is no under obligation to "compensate" if you miss the ports for which you were originally scheduled.

Sounds as though you are someone who won't be booking during "the season" again - or at least shouldn't.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Screwed by Carnival

Also take into account with Carnival the fact that they are telling everyone who is cruising out of New Orleans that they are going to hit all their ports when in fact they are not. See the posts from those on the Conquest this week. Some called Saturday night and asked if their cruise was going to stop in Grand Cayman and the answer was definitely yes. Once they started to board the boat they were given flyers and told they were definitely NOT going to stop in Grand Cayman. According to the crew, there never was a plan to stop there until closer to November.

I am getting the same thing from Carnival right now for our cruise on the Conquest when I ask about Grand Cayman. They say yes we are stopping. The government of the Cayman Islands is saying no ships until November.

So good luck getting any recourse from them.
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:45 PM
pg

What about the port charges which are now included in the fare, shouldn't they be refunded?
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Even though they often do pg, they are under no obligation to refund any charges.

I wonder if a certain port is the reason a person cruises?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

I leave Sat. on the Sensation. One of our stops was to be GC. I know that we will not be going there, and thats fine with me. I am just happy to be going SOMEWHERE. I just feel bad for all of those who live in GC. They have lost so much. The last thing they need is a bunch of people there on vacation. Hope everyone has a great day!!!
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:37 AM
wendywhite

Default Re: Re: Screwed by Carnival

Without truely understanding all the terms and conditions of the cruising contract. Why wouldn't a person cruise for the ports? I know that helps in my decision making. These people paid port charges why should they not get their money back. I am wondering if any of the people that are saying to bad for you have ever experienced the same situation.

Some people save for months even years to go on a cruise. I feel sad for all of you that had a bad vacation. I have had some scary vacations but hopefully the trip was better than being at work.
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:41 AM
sdearman

Just relax,
hooray for you that you even got a response. I was aboard the Holiday that sailed on 09/11/04. I have yet to even get anyone from Carnival to talk to me about our miserable trip. I booked that cruise because it was going to Cozumel. I had visited there last year and loved it and wanted to go back. Instead, we get dumped off in that nasty place, Merida/Progresso. I have never seen any place that filthy. Then on to Vera Cruz where the Cruise Director, Paul said "you will enjoy it just as much as Cozumel". That was a laugh. We rented a cab to take us to "the cleanest beach there, according to Carnival". We arrived, got out of the cab, walked to the muddy beach looked around and left. The best part of this cruise was debarkation. I am still appauled at Carnival Crusie Line, they have insurance to cover these situations. I do not blame the crew, they did there best, but upper management was calling the shots and they should be held accountable for their poor judgement calls. We could have returned to New Orleans after visiting Merida/Progresso but they knew if they brought us back early they would have to refund some of our money. We could have came back to New Orleans before the storm, we had plenty of time after our first Port of Call. I would have rather came back early than to endure they awful ride. I don't know if I will ever tak a cruise again, but be assured, if I do, It WILL NOT BE WITH CARNIVAL!!!
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have no idea why Carnival would still be telling people they are stopping in Grand Caymen (though I did see a post today saying they were told the itin had been changed on their sailing this Saturday, Oct. 2 ).

Of course, even if they did give notice they would be changing itineraries, after final payment has been made you wouldn't be allowed to cancel without penalty.

However I have found that calling the cruise line direct... any cruise line, is normally the worst place to go for correct information. For some reason these people answering the telephones are often the last to know.

That said...people who book during hurricane season have to take some responsibility on themselves for knowing the risks of missed ports. And if they don't know it's hurricane season, they're definitely using the wrong travel agent!!!

There are MANY factors involved in changing itineraries as well. It's not just as simple as saying Grand Caymen is closed, so we'll go to Costa Maya, or Nassau or wherever. They have to consider which ports are within reachable distance to visit and still maintain their schedule. And if there is such a port, they have to determine if there is room at the port for another ship to visit.

Even overnighting at a port can be a problem if more ships are scheduled to come in the next morning, and are expecting an open berth to be available for them.

I've even seen posts saying the cruise line is insured for these situations, and therefore should offer compensation. What type of insurance would that be? It's simply not the case!

I've sailed during hurricane season, and have had only one close call with disruptions because of a hurricane, but I knew going in, what potentially could happen.
I was relying on the cruise line to keep my safety in mind, and alter the itinerary, if necessary because of a hurricane.

I can only imagine the complaints if the cruise lines did stop at badly damaged ports. Everyone would be bitterly complaining about why they stopped somewhere where the beaches were destroyed and infrastructure was so badly damaged there were no services available.

Because of all this year's historically active hurricane season I'd bet there are going to be some incredible deals for cruising during next year's hurricane season. And even then, with bargain basement pricing, people will be surprised if the itinerary changes.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Admiral

>>I booked that cruise because it was going to Cozumel.>>

Yes, and you booked during hurricane season, so you took your chances that you *wouldn't* get to visit a port. It's why your rates were lower than the people who booked in say, January.

>> We rented a cab to take us to "the cleanest beach there, according to Carnival". We arrived, got out of the cab, walked to the muddy beach looked around and left. >>

Hmmm...muddy beach - maybe because of the hurricanes? Not Carnival's fault. Maybe it *was* the cleanest beach after the bad weather.

>> I do not blame the crew, they did there best, but upper management was calling the shots and they should be held accountable for their poor judgement calls.>>

I'm not sure avoiding a hurricane, or missing a port because it was torn up from a hurricane qualifies as poor judgment.

>>We could have returned to New Orleans after visiting Merida/Progresso but they knew if they brought us back early they would have to refund some of our money.>>

They had the option of just floating around at sea and would NOT have to refund anything! It's what happened to many, many people (including me). They didn't send you to Progreso because NOT going there would have caused them to refund your money.

As far as not cruising ever again with Carnival, if you look at what happened during this hurricane season, ALL the cruiseline were pretty much the same. They varied only slightly in their refunds (or lack of them). It's called cruising in hurricane season. If you can't live with the possibilites therein, don't book during the season.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Beginner

I cruise pretty much exclusively during hurricane season because kids are mostly back in school and I can enjoy suite amenities at stateroom prices.

I agree that any missed or changed ports are just part of the process at this time of year, so no complaints there. However, I worked in customer service management for many years, and 1) there is no mention in 2.b. about disembarkation at a changed port being protected from responsibility by the cruise line.

Even if there WAS specific mention of this eventuality, it is a poor reflection on customer service that Carnival did not provide the means or financial resources to get passengers back to the original port of embarkation, if, in fact, that is what occurred.

Again, I was not on this cruise and have not yet sailed on Carnival (we are scheduled on Pride in 3 weeks), but on Royal Caribbean, even though they have the SAME stated policy about port alterations, when we had to alter port from Cozumel to Nassau to avoid Hurricane Isabel, the captain announced that all drinks that day would be complimentary. That's the way I handled customer service in my day, and, sorry, but I would think less of a company that did not stand by its customers, even if it took a financial hit to do so. JMO.

Hopefully this was a one-time incident that will be corrected in the future.

Brian

Old September 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM
sdearman

DOROTHY<
Were you on this particular cruise, on the same ship? If not, then you don't know what, why or how the changes were made!! If you were on that particular cruise you would have seen first hand the experiences myself and other passengers were faced with.

How do you know Carnival isn't insured? Do you work for them?

As for the beach, I was told by a resident of that dreadful place, that there beach was always that muddy in fact, he told me it was pretty clear compared to other days. I will be glad to send you photographs of this beach, the dogs roaming infested with mange, and the rotten meat hanging around. I would have much rather sailed back home than to have been subjected to this nasty place. Carnival Cruise Line should have carried us back to port after our first port of call, they had plenty of time and it would have been safer than sailing around in the Gulf of Mexico with a category 5 hurricane. Not to mention all of the passengers onboard that were worried about their homes and familys being blown away by this storm. I live in Alabama where Hurrican Ivan made landfall. Needless to say I had rather been home than trying to dodge IVAN!!

As far as the other cruise lines if you will kindly go to consumeraffairs.com you will see that Carnival has and I quote "To say that Carnival gets more than its share of complaints would be quite an understatement. We get more complaints about Carnival than about all other crise lines combined. "

This is according to them and on their web site. So, your comment "All the cruiselines were pretty much the same" was incorrect.

One final note, I called my "personal vacation planner" several times prior to this trip. She assured me the trip would be cancelled before Carnival would take the chance of putting anyone in danger, also she told me they had rather re-book than have their guest sick or unhappy. Anyone who didn't get sick in those 16 to 20 foot swells should count their blessings. You couldn't even go to the dining room to eat because you couldn't walk down the hall without hearing people in their cabins throwing up, not to mention the ones who didn't make it to their rooms but instead lost it on the steps. It was to say the least, the worst vacation I have ever spent in my life. Sorry if this offends you and I am glad you are a Carnival Fan, but as for me and my family we will take our money elsewhere!!!
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Sdearman,

No I wasn't on that cruise, just assumed that the facts you gave me about it were correct - maybe they weren't. I responded to YOUR facts, didn't invent my own. My responses about changes in itinerary were based on what the contract that we ALL sign with Carnival says.

I never said Carnival wasn't insured. You must be confusing me with another poster.

Carnival isn't obliged to do what one individual, or even a group of passengers, thinks they ought to do. If you were unhappy with the beach, then by all means complain.

I was reading the boards and cruiseline websites extensively since I cruised the week of Sept. 11th. ALL the cruiselines pretty much gave the same sort of rebates. Typically, when you don't shorten your cruise (sounds like you didn't), you don't get a rebate. Our ship was kind enough to refund us $50 per person because our itinerary was changed, but not all ships did so.

Can't say anything about PVP's - I use a TA because I believe you get better service and more accurate information.

16-20 foot swells can be bad. I encountered 30 ft swells on my very first cruise. There were certainy fewer people out partying, but we all managed to make it to the dining room. I sympathize you were sick, but how are high seas Carnival's fault?

It's not so much that I'm a Carnival fan, I would make this same argument for ANY of the cruiselines:

You booked a cruise during hurricane season. The cruiseline is under no obligation to refund your money. You pay for a 4, 5, or 7 day cruise and you GET a 4, 5 or 7 day cruise - even if you go someplace unexpected (we were routed to the Eastern instead of the Western) or float around for a number of days. We expected to go to 4 ports and have 2 days at sea. We had the opposite - 2 ports and 4 days at sea. For me personally , I'm still cruising so had a wondeful time. I understood the risk when I booked for a lower cost during hurricane season.

You can take your money elsewhere, and you SHOULD if you are that unhappy. Luckily, there are lots of cruiselines out there. But if you checked the websites, you'll see that other cruiselines didn't do any better than Carnival - no major refunds were given and the captain didn't poll the passengers to see what they wanted!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 30th, 2004, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Hmmm, my girlfriends complaint pales in comparison to the other stories but I'll mention it anyway. She was on the 9,13,04 Sensation. Carnival announced 9,12,04 that they were bussing the guests to Miami for debarkation and a $100 pp credit would be issued. This was posted on their website, expressed by their rep who called 9,12,04 and again by our TA who also called 9,12,04. Well, she received the credit for herself and daughter, but not her grandaughter. She brought it to the ship's pursers attention but he didn't fix it. I emailed Carnival twice and received NO reply. Today I contacted our TA who immediately filed a complaint with Carnival's guest relations and called back with a file number within the hour. I have no problem with the changes Carnival made to accomadate guests under such unforeseen conditions. But, I do expect them to fulfill their promises.

Old September 30th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's the letter that was given to passengers on the Holiday and it clearly contradicts what you're saying in here.

To Whom It May Concern:

Please be advised that due to Hurricane Ivan, the Holiday will proceed directly to Galveston, instead of New Orleans.

The vessel will dock at about 8:30 AM on Sept 16, 2004. The ship will overnight in Galveston and is planned to sail at 10:00am on Friday Sept 17, 2004 for New Orleans. Vessel is expected to arrive New Orleans at approx 2:00pm on Saturday Sept 18, 2004, if the port of New Orleans opens by Friday afternoon.

Guests will have three options for debarking the Holiday:

1. Debark on Thursday morning and make your own arrangements to return to New Orleans or your home city:

You will be able to debark from 10:00 AM until Noon on Thursday. We will provide complimentary bus transportation to the Houston airport during those hours. Please understand that you will have to make your own transportation arrangements and incur any of the related hotel or transportation costs. In addition, it may not be possible for you to return to many areas of New Orleans or the Port of New Orleans to pick up cars on Thursday.

2. Stay aboard the Holiday Thursday night and take our bus transportation back to New Orleans on Friday morning:

We will provide complimentary bus transportation on Friday morning to the Port of New Orleans if that is possible. In the event that the buses cannot return to the Port of New Orleans, they will proceed to a convenient staging area as close as possible to the Port. We will confirm the final destination in New Orleans by tomorrow night. Buses will depart from 7:00 AM to 9:30 AM on Friday. If you elect this option, we request that you advise the Shore Excursion office on Main Deck by 1:00 PM on Thursday.

3. Stay aboard the Holiday and sail back to New Orleans:

At this time, we have planned for the Holiday to depart from Galveston at 10:00 AM on Friday and sail for New Orleans. Based on this plan, the Holiday would arrive in New Orleans at about 2:00 PM on Saturday.

Please understand that these plans are subject to change based on the impact of Hurricane Ivan. It is possible that we will be delayed returning to New Orleans for several days. The Port is now closed and will not reopen until the storm passes and a full assessment is completed. We will not be able to accurately advise you on our New Orleans arrival date until after we sail from Galveston.
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Admiral

I think I made the statement a couple of weeks ago the that the complaints would start pouring in---looks like the dam has started to leak.

It's the same ol' same o--- something happened---- I have my hand out and my tongue wagging--- pay me-- pay me--- the hurricane messed with my once in a lifetime cruise---
pay me--- pay me-- never mind that I had booked my own air on the cheapest plane that would ( hopefully ) fly and expect Carnival to handle my return flights--- pay me -- pay me--- never mind that I knowingly booked in the midst of hurricane season--- never mind that that the cruise lines did everything reasonably possible to aid people---- pay me --- pay me--- never mind the thousands of others who were " in the same boat " with Carnival , Royal Carb.and all the other lines that were also hoping to get home-- I'm only concerned about me--- pay me--- pay me !!

As far as Grand Cayman, common sense would tell me ( and should tell anyone ) that for any small, flat island to go through what G. C. did a few days ago that NO, they probably won't be stopping there for a while. What would or could one do if the harbor was safe and if the local Government would indeed allow cruise ships to unload thousands of tourists on a demolished island ? I can see it now--- half day tour of the clean up ( cold drink included ) --- everyone look to the left-- here is a crew tearing down the remains of the house that belonged to the poor family standing in the yard

God, that was a lousy tour-- should have booked my own instead of booking through the cruise line.

Post Edited (09-30-04 19:55)
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ron I have no idea who you are but can we be on the same team *l*
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:04 PM
JMHO

Sorry but it makes me sick that people are complaining about missing ports because of a hurricane. People have died. Their homes have been destroyed. How about a little perspective? I save all year to cruise. I may be a little disappointed to miss a particular port. But if I'm missing it because of a hurricane I'm going to be thanking God that it wasn't my home/family/town that was destroyed/hurt/killed and move on. A little less ME ME ME would make this world a better place.

JMHO
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM
Admiral

well said Ron & JHMO. I totally agree
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Beginner

To those who seem to defend Carnival--no matter what--please re-read the original post. I think you will see that although the missed ports, etc. are mentioned, the actual complaint is that Carnival personnel told passengers leaving the ship that there would be some sort of compensation and then did not keep their word and provide that.

I am very much looking forward to my first cruise on Carnival and I very much hope it goes off without a hitch, because I have noticed a very obvious trend on this and other message boards that there is a systematic difference between what Carnival says (often in writing) and what it actually does.

As far as the OP and concerns over loss of life/property, etc. It is ludicrous to suggest that they do not care about these things. But this is a CRUISE website and a CRUISE message board and it is a legitimate forum for CRUISERS to bring up both the celebrations of cruising and the complaints, if they have substance.

Just Relax-

Did you receive a copy of the memo shown above? If so, which option did you choose, and what was the exact procedure by Carnival to handle that particular option? (Or lack of procedure).

Brian

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:08 PM
wendywhite

SD SCREENWRITER........ I could not agree more. I am completely taken how mean people are being about this. I just retuned September 12th and I was very lucky to have a wonderful cruise. But I have had my share considering for my Honeymoon I was on the Victory out of NYC on September 11th, 2001. I was dropped off in Boston instead of NYC and had to find my own way home. I live in Ohio. Carnivals fault NO WAY but no one understands what that feels like unless they lived it!
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Screenwriter, I am in no way defending Carnival. As the largest and most successful cruise line in the world, they certainly don't need my help.

It never ceases to amaze me that when emergencies pop up, there are always those who complain when everything wasn't to their liking. Many times all these " Carnival said this "-- " Royal Caribbean said that ", etc. is part fact and a whole lot of second, third and fourth talk and misinformation.

I really believe it's good that God can't be sued, as I'm certain that there a a few loose screws out there who would do it.

Post Edited (10-01-04 22:19)
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:17 AM
sunnymom02

I guess this is what happends when you sail during hurricane season?!
CHEAPER IS NOT ALWAYS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Oh for crying out loud. You got to cruise which is all that they are contractually obligated to do. CCL has traditionally been the line that has provided more compensation than any other company. Maybe CCL figures that since other lines are not compensating their passengers why should they be the only ones taking a huge hit because of these hurricane?
Jim

Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:51 PM
First Mate

Well Jim. here's an exact cut and paste of what Carnival had on theiir website in addition to being told the same in a telephone call from their rep, the TA's rep, and the ship's purser. You don't feel they should honor what they've said?

SENSATION - Five day cruise departing on Sept. 13 will now depart from Miami and return to Tampa on Sept. 18 as scheduled. The cruise will depart from Miami at midnight and visit Nassau and Cozumel.

Guests will be provided complimentary transportation to Miami from the Tampa airport or the Port of Tampa. Buses will run from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Guests should not drive to Miami to join the ship.

Guests that sail will receive a $100 per person onboard credit. Guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival will have the inbound air changed to Miami . For guests that purchased independent air and prefer to change their inbound air to Miami, Carnival will reimburse up to $100 per person (with documentation) for the related costs

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Well GJG, I have no idea what to say to that or what it has to do with this thread. On THIS thread we are talking about the Holiday. What does it have to do with the Sensation?
Jim

Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Snick's Guy

Interesting thread---

I'm glad I made the decision to stop cruising Carnival long ago.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Snicks - same here!