Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Terri H

Default Seasickness ???

Okay I will be on my first cruise in less than 2 weeks and I don't know what to take for seasickness. I went this weekend to pick something up and everything I saw said may cause drowsness and do not take with alcohol. I don't want to sleep the cruise away, and I want to be able to have a drink, so what should I do? I don't drink that much, but I want to be able too. What does everyone else do?

Terri
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Seasickness ???

Terri,

They do make Dramamine in a Non-Drowsy Formula, if you cant find it, just ask the Pharmacist and he will get if for you. Also, you can ask for the wrist bands that go on your pressure points, they work really well. They also sell those in the gift shop on the ship. I have also heard of Bonine that is for sea sickness. Im not sure if they have that in a non-drowsy formula or not.

Carnival Victory 2000
Carnival Legend 2002
Carnival Valor 2005
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

I thought for sure i would be in need of something but luckily i wasnt. I have heard it suggested that if you are planning on taking something to start taking it about a week before the cruise so you know what kind of side effects to expect and if it does make you drowsy how long it takes to take effect.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I used Bonine and didn't have any trouble with drowsiness and had a few drinks without any effects.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Bonine is what they give out on the ship. The only side effects I experienced (the one and only time I took it) was dry mouth.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Passenger

I read on another board about taking Ginger capsules and Ginger Snap cookies. I found the Ginger capsules at the local CVS pharmacy store. I wore the patch and had dramine, the ginger capsules and ginger snaps as back up. Took them when the seas were rough. Never did get seasick in the 24 days we were cruising.
Tina
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:47 PM
SLICK

Try TripTone for sea sickness. You should be able to buy it over the counter at any drug store. At least you can buy it here in Florida. An Old Salt from Key West told me about it and it works great. Absolutely no side effects. I used it in early September when we were in the Gulf of Alaska with 12 foot seas and 40 MPH winds. I would also suggest limiting the amount and the type of food you eat. Nothing greasy or too rich. No alcohol if it is really rough. Lots of people were sick but those of us who took the TripTone were fine. Another item you may want to look into are SeaBands. Evidently the bands trick your equilibrium into thinking you are not rocking.
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Yeoman

Dramamine (Non-Drowsy Formula) works really well. You can get it at walmart, or any drug store. No worries there mate.
On our last cruise, we never had to take anything all week.

Happy cruising;
david
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Terry, the first thing you need to know is that the ships have WONDERFUL STABALIZERS to give you a fairly smooth ride. Chances are that you won't even need anything, the rule is if you are prone to motion sickness in the car, plane, train etc, then you should have some sort of preventative, you have so many options.
1. For the mild queezies - ginger ale, gingersnap cookies, ginger pills, and get outside into the fresh air and get moving. This is me, you will see me especially at sail away and on the first day or two with a glass of ginger ale in my hand, until my body gets used to the SLIGHT motion of the ship.
2. For a bit more than the mild queezies, Bonine or the Wrist Bands - take the Bonine at night if you can as needed.
3. For severe motion sickness get a prescription from your doctor for the patch.
The sailors cure is to get outside in the fresh air & sunshine, be active and keep some carbs(bread, rolls, crackers) in your stomach at all times.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
bjkeen

Tell me more about Trip Tone, I've never heard of that. What exactly is that? I take Bonine because I have been sea sick before and don't want to do that again. I have heard of people taking Ginger so that they could still drink I don't know what the dosage was or the strength. Most of the sea sickness meds. says "do not drink alcohol while taking this product."
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Beginner

I went to the pharmacist who told me that most market stuff does cause drowsiness . So he recommended peppermint tea and ginger snaps, which I took on board. although I never had any seasickness, some of the othe guest did and I gave them the tea and cookies and it worked like a charm. Will not travel without em
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Passenger

I will give the ginger a whirl I think. I'd rather try something natural.

Fascination 11/04
Celebrating our 10th Anniversary