Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Default Pregnancy Question

Ok I need some advice/help! Hubby & I are planing a much needed anniversary trip. The only week we can cruise puts me at exactly 27 and a half weeks pregnant. Carvival's web site says no one 27 weeks and over may sail. My pregnancy so far has been normal and my doctor says go have fun... My question ... Is Carnival strict on this policy? Will I be made to prove how far along I am by doctors note or something? It really stinks because we can't get away any earlier. Why does it have to be a cutoff that affects by a matter of days!! UG! Has anyone had actual experience with this? I know asking Carnival direct is going to get me a standard form answer. I'm wondering if there is a way around this dilema. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Pregnancy Question

A cruise ship is not equipped to handle any delivery emergencies that could happen with a premature labor. They don't want to risk yours or the baby's life by being in the middle of the Ocean delivering a premature infant that may need life support and not having the means. It's for your own safety that they have this rule. There's no way around it unless the letter from your doctor contains false information.
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Yeoman

See the thing is , if the cruise line lets you cruise at 23, or 24 weeks( which they do) and the baby comes, then what, it still will most likely die. So why say cut off at 27 weeks, when most doctors would tell you the child has the best chance for survival with the least amount of complications if born after 27 weeks ( at 28+ weeks) .
It doesn't make sense. Personally I'd ask my doctor and have them falsify my dates by three frigging days, I mean quite frankly it is NOT an exact date you know. I know that something " might " happen but that is life, you are in fact more likely to be hit by a car then to go into premature labour on the one week you take a cruise .

Talk to your doctor, he is the best judge of what you should do.
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:53 AM
jamiegunter

They are pretty strict on the 27 week thing. I believe they make you have a note from your doctor on how far along you are.
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Pregnancy Question

I'm not going to ask my doctor to lie in a note about how far along I am. My question was does anyone have any actual experience with this problem? In other words will carnival ask for a note? After writing my post I did a search on pregnancy and came up with many topics very similar. I found that about 4 out of 5 posters in my situation said they were never asked to show a note. Do I want to put my unborn child at risk? Of course not! But I just don't thik it's an issue with a heathly normal pregnancy that my Dr. is giving the ok on.
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Captain

I travelled on the Paradise when I was 25 weeks. They asked no questions. I offered no info. To be honest they only know you're pregnant in one of two ways 1) you tell them or 2) they can't help but notice due to the fact that you are showing. Having cruised at this time in my pregnancy I can say that I was so glad that I cruised but I had a real wake-up call in Mexico when I started to have really bad cramps. The reality of where I was and that the medical care would not likely be advanced enough to care for a preemie, I was scared to death. I would caution you about going, if I had it to do over again I would not travel while that far along in pregnancy. Our daughter was born on time, actually two days late and in Canada but the 12 hours of cramps ruined my trip from day 2 through day 7 I only wanted to get home and make sure my baby was ok. This is only my opinion and I am not judging you for wanting to go, only saying that you have to think if anything goes wrong can I live with my choice.
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM
cruisincajun

My wife and I cruised on Carnival when she was 29 weeks pregnant. We had a note from her doctor stating that she WAS 29 weeks pregnant (no falsified documents). We were nervous that we would not be able to board the ship. No one with Carnival even questioned her about being pregnant and we had an enjoyable cruise. Ultimately you and your husband need to decide if you are comfortable going on the cruise while pregnant. If you have had an uneventful pregnancy and your doctor says it's okay for you to go, you should go and enjoy yourself. Good Luck!
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:16 AM
jamiegunter

I wasnt saying that you should have him lie, I was just stating their policy. If you book the cruise, they wont give any refund if they wont let you board. Why dont you call and talk to someone at Carnival or your travel agent. I wouldnt rely on someone saying they got on the ship past 27 weeks, it may not be the same when u get there. Good luck, I hope you can go