Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2004, 12:29 PM
MNCruiser

Default Ecstacy

We're considering the Calica/Cozumel cruise out of Galveston in February and I have some questions:

I'm not familiar enough with Texas, so am I seeing this right that we'd fly into Houston? If so, how long of a drive is it to Galveston and does the cruiseline have a shuttle?

I know Cozumel will be a blast, but have heard very little about Calica---what is there to do there, and is it a worthwhile port?

How is the ecstacy overall? We sailed the Fantasy in April, so we only have that to compare it too. Just want to make sure she's in good shape and capable of "pampering" us for 5 days!

What night is the formal night on the 5-day cruise?

That's about it for now, I'd appreciate any feedback that would be helpful in making our decision.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Ecstacy

We did the 5 day out of Galveston last summer (celebration) had a great time, Calica is not a great port it is literally a gravel pit that carnival uses to dock, but we did the 4x4 jeep excursion and had a fantastic time. You would be sailing on the ectasy which is a newer and larger ship I say go for it ! I likee our stay in cozumel especially since the ship does not leave port till 12 midnight so you are not rushing back to the ship at 4, you can come back have dinner on the ship then go back out if you want to
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:18 PM
karenh1127

Default Re: Re: Ecstacy

There are 2 airports in Houston.........Hobby is closest to Galveston, about a 30 minute drive. Bush Intercontinental is about 1 hour+ depending on traffic. You will have to fly into one of these as Galveston doesnt have a big airport. Hobby is usually more $ but it is convienent. Hope this helps!
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Happy Camper

The cruise line does offer transfers. It is a long drive expecially from BUSH airport. Great port though if you haven't been there before.

Ecstacy is the same class ship as the Fantasy so the same layout just different decor.

One thing I noticed on the 5 day cruises is the band is only 2-3 players not the full group. The stuff on board doesn't seem to be as plentiful like the pool games. BUT we had an awesome time on a 5 day out of Galveston on the Jubilee a year ago. Would go again - we missed Calica and overnighted in Cozumel which was great for us! They do have Xcaret park excursion that looks to be great there. Debbie
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Carrie In OK

Calica is a gravel pit that is used as a port, but it is next to the town of Playa Del Carmen. There are many activities in Playa and up and down the coast from Calica.

Xcaret and Xel-ha are two water/snorkeling parks. We went to Xel-ha on our own, took a cab and did all-inclusive which was much cheaper than the ships excursion (Celebration Sept 03). It was awesome. Best thing we have done in the Playa area. Just negotiate your cab prices before you get in. Both parks have websites, just do a google search.

There are ruins at Tulum along the coast. Bring/wear your swim suit because there is a beautiful beach at the Tulum Ruins.

The town of Playa Del Carmen has many beach clubs and restaurants. Just take a cab into town. The Beach Clubs on the North Side of town have better beaches. Mamitas would be my first choice.

And there are tons of cenotes, villages, shopping, horseback riding. atv's, speedboats, snorkeling trips etc.

I can direct you to some other info on the Playa Area if interested. We do land vacations there every year. We love it. If you have any questions just ask. Monetfreak@cox.net.

I hope this helps a bit.

Carrie
Old October 16th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ecstacy

Hi Carrie.
What are Cenotes??
What would you recommend as a snorkeling beach in Playa? How about shopping? I hear that 5th street is the place to go for that.. are there any beach clubs in walking distance? Are there any places that 3 ladies traveling together should avoid?
Thanks~

Old October 17th, 2004, 11:54 PM
SharonP

We sailed on the Ecstacy in June and found it to be very nice. I'm sure it will even be better after the dry dock . Have a great time.