CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   If u pked a room # & deck can you still get an upgrade? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/200347-if-u-pked-room-deck-can-you-still-get-upgrade.html)

Ro October 26th, 2004 02:26 PM

If u pked a room # & deck can you still get an upgrade?

I was just wondering as a first time cruiser I pked my room and deck not knowing about either. All I cared was that it had to be an outside. If your docs say E206 whats your chances of getting an upgrade? Just wondering? Ro

Kuki October 26th, 2004 03:29 PM

Re: If u pked a room # & deck can you still get an upgra

It "could" happen, but chances are minimal.

JSH October 26th, 2004 06:38 PM

Not very likely.

DUKE 42 October 26th, 2004 07:13 PM

NONE. Question, why waste your money on a outside cabin when you will probab;y only sleep and shower in your room. At dinner you could be seated with a passanger from a suite and the shows are the same, no preferential treatment. Many times an upgrade only means moving to a higher deck not a bigger or fancier room. Usually a porthole window cost you anywhere from 2-4 hundred more than an inside. I always book with a specific room in the center of the ship and not too high up. If the boat starts rocking you'll know why. Just my opinion.

Shan October 26th, 2004 08:27 PM

Re: Re: If u pked a room # & deck can you still get an u

There are those that would like to have a window regardless whether they are in their room for a limited time. I know some people are closterphobic (sp) After 7 cruises my husband and I are finally getting a Balcony.....well deserved in my opinion....it will only be ourselves going on this cruise and I'm really looking forward to it.....

I say get the room that you want.....it's only money!

Ron October 26th, 2004 08:53 PM

Re: If u pked a room # & deck can you still get an upgrade?

It's very unlikely, though not impossible, that you would be upgraded after you have chosen a specific cabin. I always choose the deck and cabin I want. I just don't want to play the upgrade game. As another poster stated, most of the upgrades are simply moving up a deck or two within the same catagory, not moving to larger or more palatial surroundings. Too much is made about upgrades, in my opinion.

Post Edited (10-26-04 20:56)

browezilla October 26th, 2004 08:55 PM

Back to the original question, it is very unlikely you will be offered an upgrade if you took an assigned cabin number. upgrades typically happen to those that book Cat Guarantee or "Run of the Ship". Essentially, you are guranteed to do no worse that the category you booked in. You may be moved anywhere on the ship as long as you don't drop in category. The cat guarantees, in my experience, typically put you aft or stern, as these are less desireable rooms due to they get more rocking motion.

kakarp October 26th, 2004 09:13 PM

I donít know if it is because Iím a past guest. But for my next cruise in May I booked balcony cabin on deck 6 upper. Every time I see a price drop I call my pvp. The last time I call I not only got a second price drop but I also was offered an upgrade to deck 11. It was just too close to the bow (front) for me so I took deck 10 Lido. Deck 6 to 10 I call that an upgrade

Kakarp

debra October 26th, 2004 09:20 PM

Maybe I'm just strange... but having a room aft or stern does have its advantages due to less traffic and talking in the passageways. Booking a GTY cabin may seem a little risky, but I have to say that I've gotten some great rooms at great deals by gambling a bit. And if the upgrade doesn't come through... no biggie... I still get the great meals, shows, and all of the other amenities of the boat for a good price.
Veedam - March 03
Grandeur of the Seas - March 04
Holiday - October 04

clayb October 26th, 2004 09:59 PM

You're right, Debra. We just returned from the Conquest and i picked my room to be in the center of the ship on deck 7. While it was great location in relation to the lido deck and the promenade deck, there was a lot of traffic outside my door. It only bothered me when i was trying to nap in the afternoon. Last year I booked a balcony guarantee and was upgraded to a 8C balcony with a decent location. It's alwasy a gamble.

Happy sailing.

Cruisingbears October 27th, 2004 01:22 PM

YES, you can get upgraded, we did. We purchased at cat 11 (V17) and were upraged
to cat 12 (U80). I didn't think you could be upgraded like that, but you can.
Happy Sailing..........

themomtk October 27th, 2004 03:03 PM

We just returned from the Conquest. Our group had 36 people. All of the people that did not pick room were upgraded. Those of us that picked our room number stayed. Our group recevied 2 decks up grade from 6 to 8. not bad
So if you select a room it is the room you get most of the time.

Ro October 27th, 2004 11:33 PM

Wow you guys have so much experience! I really learn alot of you all and I thank you. I booked the outside cabin due to the simple fact I have recame very claust. after getting stuck on a ride at Busch Gardens. It has just about ruined my life. I carry pocket fans everywhere just in case there is no air here in Fla if I get stuck somewhere. I climb stairs when I could be taking elevators I don't do rides anymore and I picked the outside cabin just so I could see that there is an outside. I guess I will be in this room at night so time will tell if all goes well. Thanks again you all for the great advice. Ro

Shan October 29th, 2004 01:06 PM

Re: Re: If u pked a room # & deck can you still get an u

Actually we got an upgrade from the Main to Promendade deck....and no we didn't go guarantee

Dorothy October 29th, 2004 02:47 PM

Ro, I would consider upgrading to a balcony. Being able to walk out on your balcony would help enormously. I know it's more expensive, but you might enjoy being in your room more if you had a balcony.

dorothy

branflakes1991 October 30th, 2004 10:45 PM

I dont know if its possibleor not.

Well, Im not sure about you guys, but, the only reason I want a window is so i can tell the difference between 1AM and 1PM. LOL. I hate waking up and not knowing if I will miss anything by slepping.
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=25&hour=16:00 Carnival Triumph again!!! Got off this morning!

liberty925 October 31st, 2004 09:39 AM

This has actually happened to me, when on the Pride I had chosen a guaranteed cabin (5139) and when I got my docs my cabin had been switch to cabin 7151 it was a real surprise.