Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Mary R.

Default Carnival vs. Princess

Hi,
I've posted this same question on the Princess forum and wanted to see what the response would be on the Carnival forum. My husband and I in our 40's have been on one Carnival and one RCCL cruise in the past. We are planning our next cruise for 4/05 and are torn between Carnival Triumph or Glory and Caribbean Princess or Star Princess. We don't drink, but do enjoy being entertained and kept busy. We also enjoy spending time at the pool. We're looking for something with a lot of activity, good food, etc. Please help us with our decision. Thank you.
Mary R.
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Carnival vs. Princess

I want to go on a RCCL cruise and a Princess cruise. Not because I don't like Carnival, but to expierance all 3 cruise lines. I've only been on Commadore, and Carnival. We've had wonderful cruises on both.

No matter which one you pick, you'll surely to have a wonderful cruise.

Happy Sailing;
david
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Some things to think about are: newness of the ship(Glory is a newer ship than Triumph), saltwater pools(Carn.)& freshwater(Princess), style of entertainment for shows-I have heard Carn.is Las Vegas'y(which I do not care for as we will be with our 2 kids). I assume you liked the itineraries on all 4 ships?
I have only been on 1 previous cruise( with a girl friend for our 40th birthdays on Sea Princess:W.Caribb) and will be on the new Carnival Valor('Exotic' W.Caribb.) in Jan. with husband and 2 kids. I liked the newness of the ship and price was slightly lower than Princess and I liked the Valor's itinerary more. I found RCI was even a bit more $ than Princess or Carnival when I looked. I also liked all the additional food places on the Valor/Carnival ships.
Hopefully other experienced cruisers will give you their opinions. Good luck with your decision. As someone often says:a day on a cruise is always better than a day at work!!

Old November 1st, 2004, 07:31 AM
Passenger

We have been on two Carnival cruises (Fantasy 08/00 and the Glory 10/04). They were the best vacations I have ever had. We have nothing bad to say about Carnival and loved both ships.
Having said that we just booked our first Princess cruise (Caribbean Princes for 10/05) only because, as David W. said, we just wanted to try a different experience. I'm hoping when we get off the Princess we will love it just as much as the Glory. The Glory is a beautiful ship and our expereince there will be hard to top.
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Carnival vs. Princess

I think you should give Princess a try. Having Personal Choice dining is wonderful. It's more like going out to dinner every night as you can show up for dinner anytime between 5:30 and 10 p.m. and be seated. Their ships are beautiful. There is a wonderful swim-against-the current adults only pool near the spa that is heavenly.

While we love Carnival, and have taken many Carnival cruises, when we're not bringing our kids (late teens, early 20's), we choose Princess.
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM
kwjones

They're all very, very good. The lovely Mrs. and I sailed the Caribbean Princess in September, and were a bit disappointed in the ship, but I think by this time, they probably have the kinks worked out. As noted above, the Personal Choice dining is something that you'll probably enjoy, and the movies under the stars is really neat. When we sailed, they had some problems with the big shows, but no doubt thats been worked out. You absolutely won't run out of "stuff" to do aboard the CP. I'd give it a shot!
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Mary R.

Thank you all for your comments. It looks like we will have a great trip regardless of which ship we choose. Thanks again for all your help!
Mary R.
Old November 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
CherylB

We cruised to Mexico on the Grand Princess. Is a beautiful ship, wonderful buffets. They are not casual. We were not allowed in the clubs because we were in shorts. One bar you could go into wearing shorts. We went to kick back an relax, not play dress-up.