Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Default to lock or unlock checked luggage

We'll be cruising on board the Carnival Spirit for a 7 day cruise leaving San Diego. I know that our carry-on needs to go through an x-ray machine. However, do the luggage you leave for the porter also get x-rayed or inspected? I've read that some people have suggested that checked luggage be locked up so the porters can't get into them easily. At airports, checked luggage isn't allowed to be locked anymore. Does cruise luggage also have to be unlocked so security can go through them?
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: to lock or unlock checked luggage

We always lock our bags after getting them from the airport luggage carousel. The guys who transfer the luggage from you to the ship do not work for the cruiseline and the cruiseline - to this point at least - doesn't seem to mind if you lock your luggage.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:32 PM
bjkeen

The luggage does go through xray at the port. I always lock my luggage because when I don't I come home with clothes. If an xray shows something questionable you will be asked to unlock your luggage. Hopefully you won't have the security people digging through your underwear looking for a metal belt buckle like they did me.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If you are flying to and from your cruise do the following.......leave your luggage unlocked on your original flight. Once you claim it at the airport put the lock on (or if you are going to a hotel pre night, but the lock on the next day before you head to the port).........on debarkation, put a lock on before you set your luggage outside your cabin on the last night (and make sure than ANYTHING of value is put in your carryon and not in your luggage)......once you claim your luggage from the cruise line and before you get to the airport, remove the locks and check the luggage through for the trip home.

Old October 31st, 2004, 07:03 PM
Admiral

There is no rule that says your luggage must be unlocked. What they are saying is that if they wish to inspect your luggage they will cut off any locks that may be on it in order to inspect it. We always use those plastic cable ties on differant colours. If they search your luggage they can easily remove the ties. The plus side is that you will immediately know if anyone has opened your luggage so that you may inspect it yourself and file a report if anything is missing. When you file a report do not just file it with the TSA or the rent-a-cops there, call the REAL cops and make a theft report.
Jim

Old October 31st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Passenger

Great info! Thanks guys.
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Your bag can be locked when going through the ships checked bag security. If they do find something irregular, you will be asked to come down and claim your bag. If they see something on the x-ray that they have good reason to believe is dangerous they will force the bag open.

I haven't used a luggage lock in ten years. If someone really wants to get in your bag they can open it in the same time or less with a screwdriver or pocket knife than you can with a key or a combination. This is especially true with soft sided luggage. Locks only keep honest people, honest.

I suggest you use the colored cable ties. You will know if the bag has been opened and it also keeps the zippers secured. It also keeps honest people, honest.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:57 AM
Passenger

Where can I purchase the colored ties?
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:14 AM
Yeoman

Kim,
I bought mine at Walmart. Very cheap ! We have always locked ours. My wife carries anything from curling irons, hair dryers, ect. Everything a woman would need on a vacation. lol !

Happy sailing;
david
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:19 AM
Rusty & Ellen

the ties can be bought at Walmart or most any hardware stores. Bought a container of 650 many years ago for about 3-4 $ - still using them - mine were called "CargoLoc", industrial grade, auto ties - well worth it.
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:33 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: to lock or unlock checked luggage

Got a question about those luggage ties. If you use them and the only way that you can gain enterance to your bags is by cutting them, then how can you get into them when you are ready to open your luggage? You are not allowed to bring knives or scissors in your carry-on bags on any flight.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Butterfly:
Just put a nail clipper in the outer, zippered pocket of your checked bags. I put a nail clipper and extra cable/luggage ties in each one. That way you always have a clipper and ties when you need them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

I always lock my luggages.

When checking in at the airport, what I used to lock depend on how much time I have. For a cruise, the family is always excited so we always have plenty of time. You can
wait for TSA to screen your bags then put the lock on before they move them to the
luggage conveyor belt. Usually for a business trip, I'm in a hurry. I use zip tie
to lock the checked luggages and leave to TSA to do what they must do. If they
cut the zip tie to inspect, then they will use their own zip tie afterward to lock.

When you arrive at the cruise port, if you have not lock your bags, you should do
so at this time. The bags are hold in a temporary cage before they are scanned
and transferred to the ship. No telling what may happen to your bags. After
numerous cruises, I have never been asked to open any of my bag!
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:33 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

We had to have our room stewardess get someone from maintenance to cut our ties off, this time the sissors are already in the suitcase. We are driving down not flying.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just used neon cable ties and it worked well. We cable-tied them before our flight out - and all were in tact when we landed. We cable-tied them again pre-cruise, and again, all were in tact when we received the luggage. Did the same thing on the way back, but this time one of the ties was missing after our flight home, and it was not replaced with a new one. I think it depends on the airport whether you get a new tie or not. I realize now why the luggage was searched - I had packed a metal watch box in there without thinking. Guess I can't blame TSA for wanting to know what that was. =)

A warning - our cable ties were apparently a little too heavy-duty, because the nail clippers that we stashed in an exterior pocket of our checked luggage couldn't cut them. So we bought a cheap pair of scissors and stashed those instead. It worked out fine.

Happy Travels!

~Lori
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
mmotc

Here in Mpls, your nail clippers and small scissors will be taken away from you if you have them in a carry on. Our granddaughter had a pair of kids scissors in a craft kit in her carry-on - they took those away and you could barely cut paper with them. Fine by us though! We bring a pack of matches and simply burn them off when we get to our room. Takes about a second and works like a charm!
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Denise H

don't lock your luggage if they want to check your bags they will cut off locks
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
jq

They have locks that are TSA approved now and these are allowed. We had several people tell us that we had to take them off when we went to Alaska in Sept, but in each case when we showed them they were stamped TSA, they were ok. I also put straps around each suitcase to make them harder to get into, and more importantly, make sure the zippers didn't bust on the way home.
My son and wife on their way back from Maui got their bags a day late and one or two of them had been cut open and destroyed good suitcase, AND they were not locked. Still trying to get reimbursed.
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:55 AM
DUKE 42

I travel a lot and beileve me no chincy lock will keep a thief out anyway. Keep expensive items and medicine in your carry on and use the plastic ties AFTER THE AIRPORT if it makes you feel better.
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:50 PM
First Mate

We just returned from The Conquest. My daughter used the zip ties on her bags to leave the ship. When she got her bag the zip tie was gone and Her bag had been gone thru. They tore open the plastic bag that had her Rum in it. Nothing was missing just looked thru this was her makeup bag. I guess they did not want her rum.She will now use a pad lock on the ship when putting it out in the hall.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2