Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM
gatorclaw

Default Hotels in Miami (other than Downtown?)

Ok. here's the facts:
-Cruising on Valor 03/06/05.
-Going to Miami, via Fort Lauderdale Airport on 03/04/05 to stay two nights in Miami.
-On the agenda in Miami is South Beach, but nothing else concrete.
-Will taxi around to whereever we want to go in Miami.
-Made a few Priceline offers for Downtown, but have been declined (up to $55 a night).
-I can go higher for Downtown, but should I look elsewhere? Would it be a fine idea to also make a bid for the beaches area of Miami, since we'll be going to South Beach anyway? or is it much more convienent to have a 'home base' near the port?

Thanks for all the (as usual) great help in advance,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
lib

Default Re: Hotels in Miami (other than Downtown?)

Hi there fellow Valor travelor. My family is also on the March 6th Valor and we will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale same day as you. We have booked (through rewards program) with the Marriot at an extended stay hotel as we too ran into higher prices in at South Beach.

The sites I checked did seem to have lower prices if you stayed away from the beach and downtown. Better prices on the outskirts and the prices for rental cars are not that bad about 97 for the time there with a drop off at the airport and a taxi to the pier for about $25.

Where will you be flying in from and are you traveling with a family?
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Andy B.

Default Re: Hotels in Miami (other than Downtown?)

I'd find a Hotel in Miami Beach and stay there since you're heading to South Beach anyway. Once there you can walk everywhere you need to go, until it's time to head for the port. Seems like that taxi ride cost us $15-20. South Beach has a wide range of hotels and prices. I've always used Lodging.com and gotten what I consider good rates, but, admittedly, have never gotten a room for $55 or less.

I really like the South Beach Best Western. Not a premium hotel but wholly adequate, on Washington Blvd. only 2 blocks from the beach. Night clubs, restaurants and shopping galore all right there.

We've always taken public transportation around Miami and Miami Beach; too cheap to spring for taxis except to the port with all the luggage, and have always got by just fine.

I love Miami Beach, ready to go there any time, but I wish they wouldn't have taken the Paradise away!

We just got back from the Legend out of Ft. Lauderdale. Great cruise but I missed Miami. Wife liked Ft. Lauderdale better however. I'll put up a review later.

Andy