Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Patticake

Default salt water pools on carnival

i know i haave read this before, but it seems to be more of a deciding factor than i thought. we already are booked on carnival, victory in july of 2005 with five adults and four kids. i noticed princesses pools are fresh water. is the salt water a real deterrent in enjoying the pools and water slide on the victory.? do the kids have a really hard time with burning of the eyes from the salt.? i assume our grandchildren 5,8,11, and 12. will be spending a lot of time int he pools on at sea days. we are doing snorkeling excursions on two islands so they will be in salt water on all those days and dealing with it. does anyone know the reason princess has freshwater and carnival has not mastered this yet? i know we are going to have a wonderful time either way and are all really looking forward to this. it was just a question on my part as i never thought about this particular situation. patticake
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: salt water pools on carnival

Hi, we are just off the Glory (ok two weeks ago) and the salt water was no more of a problem than a highly chlorinated pool. My son wore goggles most of the time that we bought on our way to the cruise ship for about $3 and they worked just fine. They also have fresh-water showers right next to the pools for rinsing. The biggest problem I noticed was remembering to keep your mouth closed, that was kind of icky. But, still, it's no different than swimming in the ocean, except no fish.

Suzanne
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We were on the Inspiration in 2004 and my son (10) practically lived in the pool on sea days. No complaints or adverse effects. The girls (12 & 15) both went in just not as much as my son. Neither of them had any complaints either.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Rie

I personally love the salt water pools because they don't burn my eyes like the clorinated ones do. They also don't have that strong bleach smell to them.
Just a suggestion to pass on. ... hold your nose before you hit bottom on the slides.
Rie
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Passenger

The reason Carnival and most other lines have saltwater pools is that it is more environmentally friendly and safer. Chlorine is a toxic and dangerous chemical - that's why your eyes actually burn more in a chlorinated pool rather than the ocean. A few new resort hotels have been built with saline pools instead of chlorinated pools for this reason. Also, chlorine in water (either in chlorinated pools or in chlorinated tap water) has been linked to skin cancer.
The other thing with saltwater pools is that the ships can drain the water and get fresh, clean ocean water everyday. A chlorinated pool cannot be drained into the ocean and requires a lot more equipement to keep the water biologically clean.

Carnival Spirit '09, Liberty '07, Spirit '05, Valor '05, Glory '04, Pride '03, Destiny '02, Elation '01, Tropicale '91, RCCL Viking Serenade '93, Pacific Princess '78
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Admiral

What hunkof said....

It's not that Carnival hasn't *mastered* chlorination, they have actively chosen to use saltwater. I've never found swimming in salt water to be particularly bothersome. Chlorine is MUCH harder on my eyes.

But then again I rarely set foot in the pools on board.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
sailgirl

No one in our party had any complaints about the salt water. WE usually swim in a chlorine pool but we also like the ocean.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Admiral

While the pools are filled with saltwater understand that they still do put in a small amount of clorine to meet sanitary standards. Personally I think the saltwater pools are better as they are cleaned and filled daily as opposed to the freshwater pools.
Jim