Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Cabin Steward

How much do I tip him when we arrive,so I know he will take care of us the whole cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cabin Steward

What is it that you expect the steward to do to "take care of you" during your cruise that makes you feel you need to tip in advance?
Stewards are not private butlers or servants. Their job is to clean your cabin , make your bed and clean your bathroom and give you clean towels . Provide you with a full ice bucket and I believe on Carnival to provide you with beachtowels to take off the ship.
Later in the day, reclean the bathroom, turn down your bed and quickly clean up your room. In addition drop off your ships newsletter at night.
Are you looking for him/her to do more than that? Then a tip each time you ask for something additional is appropriate. If you are looking for the services I outlined then no advance tip is warranted . If you get less than I outlined, then you need to let someone know right away and shouldn't need to tip to get it.
At the end of the cruise, presuming the services outlined are done, then tip either automatically or directly the suggested amount.
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cabin Steward

Never been on a cruise before SORRY!!! Thought I would get a little extra like bottled water and soft drinks or the little things that normally take time to get and most of all do not have a clue what to expect.Yes I guess I want my ice bucket full all the time.
Thank You
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:17 PM
DENISE H

the tips for your cabin steward , your waiter and bus person will be taken out
automatically out by carnival if your take a 7 day cruise it will be $70.00 for the
week and it will be for each person if you think they did a good job you give them
some money the last day i hope this helps you
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Passenger

The only extra tip I can give you is ENJOY yourselves make the most of your week away from everday normal life because before you know it you are back to reality.

Take time to meet new people it really is fun and the best part is how we have kept in touch with some and actually have met up with different crew members on different ships.

Hope you have a great time and enjoy the Triumph she is a beautiful ship.

Imagination 2000
Triumph 2003
Sensation 2003
Conquest 2004
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2004
Liberty 2005
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cabin Steward

Hi Denise,

Question here....so it's $210.00 for a week's worth of tips for room steward, waiter and busboy? $70 per person? My first cruise is coming up in January. Thanks!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

This should clarify it for you:

From Carnival's website:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Guests can pay their shipboard gratuities in one of two ways:

1. Reverse Gratuity Policy - For our guests' convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the onboard Sail & Sign account on embarkation day.

Guests will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise. This includes the option to adjust gratuities (up or down) for any individual on the Dining or Housekeeping staff. In order to do so, the guest will need to visit the Information Desk on board.

2. Pre-Paid Gratuity Policy - Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or any time up to two weeks prior to the sail date.

All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities, with the exception of children under two. The pre-paid gratuities can not be removed once the booking has been ticketed. The guest will not have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based on the level of service received during the cruise.

The dollar amount of the gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy on the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been paid.

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

$5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
$1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
$3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)
Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Admiral

I might point out that things like soda and bottled water would come under bar service and you would get it from the bar. They automatically add 15% tip to that. If you order room service for food, coffee etc then it is approprate to tip a couple dollars each time you do so. Other than that you really do not need to tip in advance or every day, just take care of him/her at the end of the cruise.
Jim

Old November 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
MNCruiser

We had an awesome cabin steward who knew just when we'd leave our cabin and when to sneak in! We had "towel animals" every night (much to our delight on our first cruise), so we left him $4-5 in change in the shape of a smiley face on the bed. The first day he didn't take it--but the next day we put a note with it tellin him thank you and the money was his. I think that says something for honesty too!
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM
vb

The best way to tip is to give the extra money toward the end of the cruise. Your cabin steward will do a tremendous job without you having to give a tip at the beginning of the cruise.
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I disagree here on tipping at the end of the cruise.

I found that with the steward, a little extra tip at the beginning of the cruise ensures speedier service. I've tried it a couple times, and always end up with better service this way.

For example, on the Diamond this past couple weeks, when he came by the first time, I asked for extra pillows and blankets and an ashtray. So when he came back, I tipped him $10. Then midway through the cruise, I paged him to come turn down our beds early -- he was there in 5 minutes flat. (For this, I tipped another $5.)

I think the little bit extra makes you stand out in their mind as a pleasant passenger and ensures more prompt service.

Just my opinion and my experience.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM
TammyJ

Tipping
How much you tip is a personal matter and completely up to you. However, we do have many guests who ask for guidelines in regard to what is appropriate. We suggest the following gratuities: Room Steward - $3.60 per guest, per day; Dining Room Team Service - $5.50 per guest, per day; Alternative Dining Service and incentives for Dining Services Staff - $0.90 per guest, per day. Tipping your Maitre d' is at your discretion, based upon the service you received. Gratuities are customarily given the last evening of the cruise. Other service personnel, such as bar and room service staff; may be tipped as service is rendered. For your convenience on board the ship, a 15% gratuity is automatically included on all beverage tabs. Please note that you may prepay gratuities for all service personnel for a total of $10 per guest, per day. For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest per day must be prepaid.
For your convenience, gratuities on certain ships are automatically added to your Sail & Sign card. Naturally, guests can adjust or remove gratuities at their discretion.

this is per carnival guidelines