Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:37 AM
first time cruiser

Default Eastern or Western Carribean???

Just wondering which is best eastern or western carribean?
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Eastern or Western Carribean???

I have done the western and had a good time. We went to Cayman Islands, Cozmuel, and Jamaica. We are booked next year for Puerto Rico, Tortola and one other one I can't remember. I think it is all in your interests.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Depends on what floats your boat. <VBG> On the Western you visit differant cultures and countries such as Mexico, Jamacia, Grand Cayman (Br.), Belize, Rotan, Costa Rica, Panama, and there are a large amount of water activities and adventure type activities. Now on the Eastern you stay pretty much "American" as you visit the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, (both US Territories) and maybe St. Martin/Sint Maarteen which is French/Dutch. While there are some water activities it is mainly shopping meccas in that area. Now the Southern is the most exotic as you visit many cultures and countries and they can be quite active with lots of adventure.
Jim

Old November 11th, 2004, 11:42 AM
first time cruiser

thanks! we just got back from eastern carribean and we loved it but we want to take our kids next year . Just wondering if we should try western next time or if we would be disappointed after going eastern.
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Admiral

I'm a bit of an adventurous type and love to see new things and study people and cultures so my choice is first Southern, then Central America or Exotic Western, then Western and then Eastern.
Jim

Old November 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM
DENISE H

i have been to the eastern and western my personal favrite is the western
i get to kiss a dolphin in cozumel saw the maya ruins in coast may and
dunn river falls the waterefall was just beauful in jamica
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Passenger

We have been to Southern and Eastern, we are going Western on Dec. 4th just to see the area. My favorite so far is the Southern.
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM
first time cruiser

wow! we loved eastern. cant wait to go to southern and western!
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Admiral

it all depends upon what you like.
Eastern - Gorgeous white silky sandy beaches with turquoise waters, good snorkeling, great shopping.
Western- more active - falls, ruins, Sting Ray swims, Dolphin swims, amazing snorkeling, really good beaches, ok shopping.
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Rickmurg

I have to say that the Southern is head and shoulders above the Eastern and Western, with the Western being my least favorite. The annual temp. ave. in the west is a little lower in Jan, when we cruise, in fact I think Cayman might be under 70 degrees for Jan.
Check me on that. I thought Cozumel a little too shopping friendly for me. Did greatly enjoy swimming with the stingrays and seeing Tulum.

We did an 8 day eastern on the Spirit last year...they said southern but it was more eastern and really enjoyed that one. It included MArtinque, St Marteen and Barbados...Don't care for Martinque. But we have been to the others twice and still are two of our favorites.

Having said that, nothing compares to the southern, I think. Aruba, Barbados, Dominica, St. Thomas/St. Johns are all very special. We spent a week in Aruba 2 years ago and there is so much to do and it is so consistanly warm that it is without doubt my favortie island. You can so anything from play golf to visit the Butterfly House to wonderful meals at El Gauchos, etc. Beautiful, clean, and hot with a great ocean breeze...beauty!!!

The best thing about the southern is that it is always warm...very important when you from MI.

Rick