Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Triumph-First Timer-Any Advice-activities,shore exc

Dear Cruisers,
My Husband and I are trying out the Carnival Triumph for the first time. I love to cruise but my husband and I had bad experieces on a different cruise line. If he puts down the axe on this cruise(when we return), I think it will be my last cruise. How can I make this the best experience for him? We are both scuba divers. Thanks for your input.
Cruising Lady
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Triumph-First Timer-Any Advice-activities,shore

Are you going to the eastern or western? The Triumph is a nice ship with lots to do and a great staff. Will everything be perfect? I doubt it but nothing is. Overall you should have a wonderful experiance with good food and good service and lots of fun activities. As to the excursions, need to know where you are going and what interests you and your level of activity.
Jim

Old November 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Thank you for responding to my note. We will be cruising the Western Carribean(Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel). I probably will not be scuba diving on this trip because I had jaw surgery three weeks age, but I do enjoy being a tourist.
Cruise Lady
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival Triumph-First Timer-Any Advice-activities,s

We will be travelling the Western Carribean(Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Cozumel. I will not be scuba diving this trip because of recent jaw surgery. I wouldn't mind playing tourist. Do you have any suggestions on shore excursions?
Thank you--Cruise Lady
Old November 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Admiral

In Jamacia if you are feeling well enough for exercise then Dunns River Falls, if not then Margaritaville and shopping at the StrawMarket. Yes they are a bit aggressive and very much so at the Falls but if you are polite and smiling and treat them with respect you will have a wonderful time.
Grand Caymans are still in poor shape after the hurricane and honestly the only thing there to do would be snorkeling or diving at Edans Rock or Devils Grotto or going to StingRay City and playing with the Rays.
Cozumel is great and you can do lots of shoppings, rent a car and tour the island, go to the Lagoon, swim with Dolphins, Horseback ride, take a 4X4 excursion, go to Tulum ruins, and make sure you stop by Senor Frogs and Carlos and Charlies for some good fun.
Jim

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Passenger

Jacques Cousteau said the diving in Cozumel is as good as it gets, on earth. If your husband enjoys diving, he will not be disappointed. I would recommend to book with a private operator before hand and not thru the ship to save some money.

Inspiration - April 2005 - 5 days West
Miracle - April 2006 - 7 days West caribbean (the wedding/honeymoon cruise)
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Admiral

kujobie, I would not recommed a private venture when scuba diving. Yes many are fine upstanding companies but there have been some reports from Cozumel of horrible safety violations onboard some of the private boats as well as the guides losing track of divers and doing some sloppy and unforgivable mistakes. I have even heard of a few incidents where the customers were basically told to cough up some more money or they would be left as well as some of the female customers being groped. Sorry, unless you know the company well and it is a well-known and reputable company I would stick strictly with the ships tours. With the private companies you are at their mercy with no recourse if they pull something illegal or dishonorable. SCUBA is too dangerous to cut corners.
Jim

Old November 28th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Yeoman

Amen to that Jim !

Happy cruising;
david
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Hello! We will be on the Carnival Triumph on Dec.11 to Dec.18.

Cruising Lady