Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Cruise Ready!

Default Sensation - New Orleans

I will be leaving December 13th on the Sensation. Any helpful hints? Has anyone just come back? If so, if you have Cozumel, Calica suggestions for tours, any information will be appreciated!

We are excited and ready to go!
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sensation - New Orleans

As you sail past the Yucatan Coast into Calica, have a pair of binoculars and stand on the starboard side of the ship.

About halfway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen, there's a small village called Puerto Morelos. At that town, there's a now public pier that used to serve the chicle (chewing gum ingredient) industry. At the shore abutment of the pier is an interesting structure, Faro Inclinado (Leaning Lighthouse).

The lighthouse was built sometime in the late 19th or early 20th Century. Regardless when it was built, in 1967, its foundation was undercut by Hurricane Beulah. No longer active--its modern replacement is nearby--it is now considered a kind of monument of the town, Mexico's version of Pisa.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!

Post Edited (12-03-04 12:32)
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
Cruise Ready!

Default Re: Re: Sensation - New Orleans

We will - thanks!
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
horsewhisperer55

Hello.....fellow cruisemates.......am on the Sensation on Dec 13th.also. Male 55 from Calif traveling solo.......would appreciate any ideas as to shore excursions also. Seahunks (Steve) thanks for the leaning lighthouse landmark idea.....gotta ask......how did you find that lighthouse?......haha. Anyone have a favorite restaurant in New Oleans?

Happy sailing
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:08 AM
Admiral

How I found Faro Inclinado really defies simple explanation. I took my first cruise in Feb 2003 aboard Sensation. But I had had a lifetime of maniacal interest in maritime history, ships, etc--the whole time landlocked, for the most part. Part of that interest was a general intrigue with lighthouses, other navaids, and their signal systems. So by the time I took the cruise, I had a bit of lore densely packed under my hair, except about that dead lighthouse. Amid the personal items I took with me, I had a handheld mapping GPS. [You know--something to drive the Mrs mad ]

Early on the morning of February 11, Sensation was sailing south off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. I was on the Lido fantail, watching a storm front to the north, through which we had sailed overnight, looking for a waterspouts another pax had reprotedly seen. The brilliance of the lightning in the distant cloud tops looked promising for sufficient wind sheer to generate a funnel.

I got out the GPS and noticed that we were near a town called Puerto Morales, an alternate name for the village. I simply swung the binoculars west, and when I refocused there was a leaning tower.

I thought it was an optical illusion, or perhaps white cap refraction, but made a note to research it when I got home. Using my knowledge of Spanish, I dogpiled puerto morales faro and returned with the story of Puerto Morelos y el Faro Inclinado. The rest, as they say, is history.

On my subsequent 2 cruises, I was at the rail as we passed the town again. When I go there again in four months, I'll be at the starboard rail, binoculars in hand, to see it again. And while ported at Calica, I'm going to see about taking a bus to the town to get a closer look, maybe to take a few pictures.

Steve

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
MikeNBec

CruiseReady, I hope you have a great cruise. We're going in June......I hope you get a chance to post a review when you get back!
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Cruise Ready!

I will....we did Alaska last year and I did a long review. They are really helpful. I had a lot of people e-mail me based on the review. Kind of fun, like reliving the cruise!
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:30 AM
sunnymom02

Seahunks (Steve)- We sailed on the Sensation the same time you did! (Left Feb 8 out of Tampa). Anyway, I read on your post that on Feb 11th, we sailed through a storm?? I honestly don't remember sailing through a storm?? Was that when we were on our way to Cozumel? (From Grand Cayman) I am just curious I guess. It must have been REAL early in the morning!

Sunnymom02

Conquest 4/2005
Sensation 2/2003
Old December 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Admiral

You probably slept through it. We passed through the main storm in the very small hours of that morning. I got up a little before sunup so I could watch the sunrise and there was rain on the cabin window. By the time I showered, dressed and made it up to the Seaview, we had just left the last rain squall. But the main mass of the storm was 20+ miles behind us, the anvil top still visible.

One of those crazy Cuban cigar smoking OSU alums told me there had been a waterspout emerging some fifteen minutes before. Of course, he may have been pulling my leg because as a fellow alum, I had pulled his leg a bit earlier in the trip. But the cloud structure looked like it was funnel capable. Those were the same guys who later stood along the starboard rail blowing cigar smoke toward Paradise at Coz.

BTW, it's pretty much impossible for me to keep a low profile. So if you ever saw the crazy pipe smoking guy being pushed around by his wife in a wheelchair...

All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful cruise!

Steve

Old December 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM
sunnymom02

Thanks for the info! I must have slept through it Were the seas rough then? If they were, I am suprized I slept through that too !!!! I remember it raining in Cozumel right when we got there for about 30 seconds And then it cleared up!
We are going on the Conquest in April. It will be our second cruise! We will be going to Jacaica, Grand Cayman and then Cozumel. Two of the ports are the same, but it gives us an opportunity to do something different at these ports this time! Do you have any recommendations on things to do?? Did you book your shore excursions through the ship on the Sensation back in Feb? We did as we were "first timers". But this time, we are willing to take a "risk" and maybe doing something not with the ship this time. Who knows! Thanks

Sunnymom02

Conquest 4/2005
Sensation 2/2003
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM
First Mate

Have you checked out my photos? I was on the Sensation November 11th, and posted pictures in an album called "Sensation- 11.11.04" if you want to check them out and see some things you can look forward to even more.

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

For the Very Best Seafood-
Mike Anderson's on Bourbon Street.
Fried Shrimp and Thin Fried catfish - to DIE for -
The Shrimp Norman is also delicous.
Fried shrimp topped with crabmeat eutoffee.
Really anything you order will be great.

Enjoy

Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:46 PM
horsewhisperer55

Default Re: Re: Re: Sensation - New Orleans

Thank you Cajungirl for the recommendations.........