Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:15 PM
DonnaB

Default ? about leaving from New Orleans

We have been of 4 Carnvial cruises and we are trying to pick out our next one. We are considering the Conquest. Can anyone tell me if there are reasonable places to stay the night before departure and how about the transfers from the airport? How far is the airport from the cruise terminal? Any advice on this would be appreciated. If it costs too much to go the day before , I would just try to find a really early flight.
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Cruisingrandma

Default Re: ? about leaving from New Orleans

We love the New Orleans cruises.... We also go down a day ahead of time. We fly into i believe its called Louie Armstrong airport.. Get a free shuttle from the LaQuinta right down from the airport. Great place to stay. clean nice people work there.... Great pool... anyways..... they free shuttle u right back to the airport to get the Carnival shuttle that we purchased with our cruise. Very easy.. there is a Great seafood and steak house called Jazz's .. Its the best. great food and great prices too. also jsut down the block a nice walk is a nice Dennys for breakfast. We did that same trip 2 times in a row. because of all the fun we had in NO. By the way LaQuinta is a reasonable rate hotel also... Happy cruising
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

We are cruising in Aug for the first time--and out of NO--We have reservations at the Maison St. Charles. (The trolly is also right there) They have a cruise package for $89 per night that includes 2 complementary drinks (can be non-alcoholic as well) upon check in and free limo ride to cruise terminal the day of cruise. They also have $5 per night parking if that applies. We plan to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel I think it's in the neighborhood of $20 from what i've been told?? and probably either a taxi back on debarkation or the carnival transfer--haven't decided yet on that.

Old December 10th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Passenger

We did a Christmas 2003 cruise on the Conquest out of NO. We really enjoyed spending the evening and part of the day in the French Quarter before embarking. But the cruise out of town is pretty dismal, past ugly industrial sites on the river until you are out in the Gulf.

The airport is quite a ways outside of town (1/2 to 3/4 hour drive) and the cruise dock is near the foot of Canal Street bordering the French Quarter, so you will need to get into NO either by taxi (about $25.00 IIRC) or there are also shuttles. We stayed at a hotel that I would not recommend (The Ambassador.) It was cheap, well located, very near the ship dock, but full of loud kids, and the hot water AND the phone service were out while we were there.
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
DonnaB

Default Re: Re: ? about leaving from New Orleans

Thanks everyone, this is so helpful. I spoke with a woman on my cruise this past April (Glory) and she went on the Conquest (end of March beginnning of April) and she said the weather was really cold until they got further south. I was really surprised. It that unusual for that time of year leaving out of New Orleans?
Old December 11th, 2004, 09:49 AM
First Mate

We stayed at the Drury Inn on Poydras (4 blocks from FQ). Free breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, make your own waffles), free internet service for laptops, free 1 hour long distance telephone calls, free drinks every night (wine and beer, every room has a refrigerator with pop and a microwave with popcorn). Streetcar stop is right beside the hotel. We were very satisfied with this hotel.

Went to the airport shuttle kiosk and bought round trip tickets for $20. They take you to whatever hotel you are staying at and pick you up at the cruise terminal after.

When you leave the airport, it is in the smaller 12 passenger vans, but when they picked us up at the terminal to go back to the airport, it was a large bus.

We ate lunch at the Court of 2 Sisters and dinner at Mulate's. Both were very, very good.