Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default another carnival death?

We just returned from a cruise where we cave tubed with 2 people from the carnival elation from galveston. they were saying a passenger had expired about 4 hours from galveston and the ship had to turn back. this would have been sometime during the week after thanksgiving. any information would be appreciated.

Old December 12th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: another carnival death?

Mazeke, why are you looking for information? Could it have been a relative?
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

well, usually its not a big deal unless its a person lost overboard. DOB's are not terribly uncommon

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Spigi

A couple of years ago I was chatting with one of the nurses in the infirmary on the Victory (I'm an MD). She told me that it wasn't unusual to loose 4 or 5 passengers during the course of a cruise. She said it was mostly old people over exerting themselves.
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can't remember which forum I saw it in, but there is another thread about this sort of thing on here. I think it mentioned an average of 2 deaths per cruise. (I do not know how accurate the information is)

Old January 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I think two per cruise is beyond being way over stated. Death and serious illness is not unexpected considering something like 8 million people will have cruised on the major North American based cruise lines in 2004. I have seen numbers like 2 or 3 hundred deaths on cruise ships during the year. That seems fairly reasonable .
Gram and I cruised on a Celebrity 10 day out of Ft Lauderdale about 6 years back. It was early November and there were tons of elderly folks onboard. Average age was easily 70. Many large groups from Florida . Before the trip was over we had two deaths onboard . One fatal heart attack and one food related allergy (a younger person). There were also two heart attack victoms onboard who made it off the ship alive but did not survive. Heat, overexertion, travel stress, change in routine, change in eating habit/pattern all combine to cause problems like we encountered, but , we were told by most crew that although incedents were not unheard of, the number encountered on this cruise was unusual.