Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default Insurance if you book your own flight

We booked the cruise through Carnival and purchased the Carnival provided insurance. We did however make our own air arrangements. The question is,
(I'm still confused even after reading the insurance info on Carnival.como)
Will the insurance cover us in the event we miss the ship due to the planes not
taking off - say weather related or whatever ? Has anyone ever experienced that with Carnival even though you booked your own insurance ?
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2004, 10:00 AM
aileenw

Default Re: Insurance if you book your own flight

if you did not purchase air thru carnival, carnival will not wait for you if you missed the ship. Read the fine print, i dont think it covers this. We purchased air and had travel ins, but not thru carnival. We are in the middle of filing a claim due to Hurricane Frances and had to re-purchase air since the original flight was cancelled. Go to
csa travel protection, or insureyourtrip.com
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Insurance if you book your own flight

I know they wouldn't wait for us, what I'm trying to find out is if we get anything from the insurance company if we don't make the departure due to private air arrangements instead of having Carnival arrange the air for us. So, if we miss the ship and need to catch it somewhere else, next port or maybe two ports away, are we eligible for anything towards the travel to the 'other' port ?
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:52 AM
Passenger

I would never buy the insurance threw the cruise lines. I have always used CSA, but so far have never filed a claim. If the cruise line would go bankrupt it would not do you any good for one thing. I always get my air on my own , so don't know the answer to that, but wouldn't think it would. CSA cover by a $ amount, like say you paid 299.00 for air and 600.00 for cruise, 150.00 for hotel, like about 32.00 for 1000.00 coverage. Does change by age. It's clearly written just what it covers, just keep all your recepts. Hope this is clear as mud.
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Buying cruise insurance through the cruise line is risky at best. Except for rare instances, I always book my own air.....and buy independent insure. I believe that if you did not book the air through Carnival you MAY not be covered. I always go to http:?www.insuremytrip.com and compare policies. Why book insurance with the provider who is providing your vacation? Does not make sense as they will stack the deck against you.