Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:11 PM
sls

Default Jeans/Shorts in the dining room

Want to wear them? Go on the Destiny. Last week had 3 nights of shorts allowable - no tank tops. The 2 formal nights they said no shorts or tank tops allowed. You could wear jeans on any night.

On the whole the men who had shorts on wore collared shirts with them and looked nice. Didn't see any women in shorts. Lots of Capris and sundresses.

The food in the dining room was great!

sls
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Jeans/Shorts in the dining room

Jeans are discou8raged but allowed. Shorts are only allowed on the first night due to the fact that not all passengers have received their luggage in time. Otherwise, shorts are not supposed to be worn in the main dining room unless you are under the age of 5 years old. SOmetimes people do try it and sometimes people get away with it but it clearly shows that they have no respect for the rules and customs that were asked of them.
Jim

Old December 21st, 2004, 05:58 PM
sls

Nope this was in the Capers. Because Barbados and Aruba are boarding days they allow shorts in the dining room.

Maitre D' made announcements that no shorts or tank tops were allowed on formal nights. Guess things are done differently in the Southern Carribean.

I wore sun dresses for the casual nights more room for over eating. And I love to dress up for formal nights.

sls
Old December 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM
Admiral

On the Spirit last month, while docked in Acapulco till 2 am, ALL meals were open seating and casual. Men and women wore shorts to dinner with no problems. I do agree though, no one should wear shorts in the dining room for dinner.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:33 AM
BigCraig

Not true there Jim,
Yes the first night is come as you wish, except for tank tops
But the 3rd day was Cozumel, in port until midnight and they announced the prior night that shorts ARE allowed in the main dining room this night only(besides first night)
We were on the Triumph 12-11-04 to 12-18-04.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
aileenw

yes we were on the Destiny in Sept. shorts were allowed in the dining rooms. They have 3 separate boarding days on the Destiny.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:24 AM
First Mate

I've always had my luggage before dinner on the first night. So I've never worn shorts. And even if I didn't have my luggage, I wouldn't go to dinner that first night. I'd eat at the buffet or have pizza or something else. I would never wear shorts into the dining room. Looks tacky in my opinion.

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

SLS - How was the Destiny cruise in general ? You mentioned you had great food in the dining room - service too? What was the name of your waiter if you can remember, and what did you do in Barbados and Aruba?
Thanks !
CA$H
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM
BigCraig

Kim do you really think it is tacky to wear shorts in the dining room on the night they allow shorts?
Many of the hundreds of people on Cozumel night would probably disagree.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:14 PM
sls

Cash,

Destiny cruise was wonderful. I guess there were a lot of locals onboard saw lots of grade school age kids, not many older ones. They all behaved rather well.

Dinner we had early seating in the Universe dining room. Great service can't remember the names, guy was from India and the gal was from Estonia. I love lobster and shrimp and on the nights I had those they insisted I needed a second helping. We had a small table for 4. Some of the larger tables seemed to be filled with families cruising together. They never arrived on time and 2 of the tables came in 30 minutes late and another 45.

In Barbados and Aruba we took snorkeling tours. Both small groups on catemarans. Saw lots of pretty fish.

sls
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Admiral

My apologies, there ARE some exceptions to this rule as Craig pointed out BUT, they will ALWAYS be announced that it is permitted. Failing that announcement shorts are not allowed and should not be worn in the main dining room.
Jim

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Yeah Craig, but that's just my opinion. And as I remember, I did a 3 day cruise once and we stayed over night in Nassau Bahama's. And that late night was also a shorts night. And if I remember right not many people went to dinner that night, but those who did, not very many of them wore shorts. But remember Craig, that last statement I made and this one answering your question... Is simply my opinion so please don't attack me. I don't feel that you have but I don't want it to lead to that either. If you disagree with me and if others disagree with me, that's okay ya know :o) I'm okay with that. Everyone has opinions, eh? :o) I respect everyone's. I just put my two cents in is all. :o)

If ya haven't read my review from my sensation cruise November 11th. I mentioned in there that there was a gentleman, oh wait I don't think he was very gentlemen like.... so there was this "male" in the same dining room as us. And one night he wore Jeans. And let me tell ya that looked ridiculous. The others that he was with were all in nice dressy appropriate clothing while this man was in Jeans and not an exactly nice shirt. It was okay, but he looked silly. And then he had his legged up and resting on the chair beside him... and I saw him at one time resting his head down on the table like he was bored or something. Thats the impression I got with him. And it just seemed rude and unappropriate. In my opinion. Anyway just a little story I felt like adding, sorry.

So, have a safe and Merry Christmas!

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
BigCraig

Respectfully Kim,
I agree your opinion is very good, and we too had a guy in the main dining room come to dinner in blue jeans and suit & tie, looked rather strange, but it was on the 5th night just about when my shorts did not fit anymore.....maybe he had a little too much to eat like I did???

BigCraig
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
Admiral

I just thought that i would throw in my 2cents worth here. For me personally, even if the ship made an announcement that shorts would be allowed in the dining room, i would not wear them, it just doesn't seem right to me to go to a really nice fine dining restaurant in shorts, it would only take a couple of minutes for me to go to my stateroom throw on a sundress and a pair of flat sandals, a nice pair of capris and a pretty top or a pair of dockers type pants and a polo shirt. DH would just change into a pair of dockers and a polo or hawaiian print shirt.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:40 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I would probably wear my split skort (longer knee length flared dressy shorts) either way--unless under no uncertain terms were they allowed--then i'd definately change.

Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:49 AM
sls

There weren't any women in shorts on the Destiny in the dining room. It was mainly middle aged men in really nice shorts and collared shirts. Sitting down at the table there's no way you could tell they were wearing shorts.

sls
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Maureen Tollington

Default Re: Re: Jeans/Shorts in the dining room

Kim

Couldn't agree more. What is it with people who just want to go around looking like slobs all the time. Surely going into a Cruiseship REstaurant for evening dinner is worth some effort, however small and putting on a pair of pants/trousers/shorts uses up more or less the same time/effort in my opinion.

Too many people in the world today look like robits/zombies all wearing the same clothing.

It takes a special person to be different and make an effort, especially whilst on holiday. You will find that most of the ladies really love dressing up (especially for the formal nights) whilst alot of the guys just moan and groan.

Too be honest, I think alot of people want to wear shorts or very casual clothing so that they can just 'pig out' more showing very low self-discipline.

When hubs and I were on our Cruise last month, we only had breakfast and then waited all day (with the exception of 1 day when we did not make breakfast) until dinner in the Dining Room. Why, so that we could REALLY enjoy our food and not just stuff our faces losing the real delight in dining.

We also made an effort each and every evening and were complimented on our style by the Maitre'd and our American/Canadian and Russian friends on our table.

By the way, we are British and proud of it too. I love America and Americans - I have many friends in Phoenix, Chicago, New York and Minesotta etc, but god why do so many of them look like they are eating to kill themselves!

We actually saw people in the Dining Room for breakfast and then eating pizza an hour later!!!! and I bet they ate lunch too and kep hitting the ice cream machines.

Very sad.

Regards,
Maureen
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Maureen,
You forgot to mention that we had room service before we ate breakfast in the Dining Room, high tea and scones in the afternoon and the midnight buffet.

I take offense to your statement that I only wear shorts or casual wear so that I can just "pig out" more showing very low self-discipline and that we look like slobs. I wear shorts or casual wear because I'm on vacation. I eat more than 2 meals a day because of medical reasons. Why put down people eating ice cream and enjoying their vacations. Why put down people at all! That's more rude that wearing shorts in the dining room for dinner.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
First Mate

We were on the Destiny in October, and we did wear shorts to dinner on Cozumel night. The dining room was nearly empty, and we all headed back into Cozumel after dinner. I've never worn shorts to dinner on any of our other cruises, because they were specifically excluded. But, this attire worked perfectly with the evening in port!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Admiral

CA, Maureen was not directing her comments specifically at you or anyone in particuliar. She does have a point that many Americans are in fact eating themselves to death. I am also guilty of being overweight and while some of it is the meds I am required to take, much of it is in fact my fault for eating just because I want to, and not because I need to. She makes some good points.
Jim

Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Jim,
I KNOW she wasn't directing her comments to me directly. I was just responding as ANY fellow cruiser because I felt her comments to be rude and uncalled for on this board. Thanks for all you do and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old December 24th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Maureen Tollington

Default Re: Re: Jeans/Shorts in the dining room

Dear CA

I was not being personal but adding my particular point of view re wearing shorts in the dining room.

As mentioned on another post, the cruise ships offer many alternatives for diners and for those who wish to wear shorts and casual attire, the buffet and other options are there for them.

In my humble opinion (and those of many) the dining room is there for more refined dining - the Carnival adverts themselves boast about the 'Dining Room experience' and the way the guests dress should reflect this.

You would equally think it silly for people to dress up smartly just to join the long queue for the buffet which is, in the end, lets be hones, nothing more than a cafeteria.

You are right, it is everyone's vacation - some people like to be casual and some people like to make an effort. The reality is the choice is there for all diners - the only point I am making is stick with your choice of attire and pick the place to eat accordingly.

This also shows respect to your fellow shipmates.

As to Americans and their eating habits, I am sorry, but it is so true. I think there seems to be a culture that cruising means to overeat and lets be honest here, we all know how we feel when we overeat - very tired, bloated and unhealthy.

What is the point in spending out hard-earned money to make yourself feel ill? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

We all know that feeling that when your are REALLY hungry, you enjoy your meal (whatever it is) far, far more and it becomes a much better experience.

In our family, we were raised to only eat when your are hungry and not just because the clock says it is breakfast, lunch or dinner time. The body knows when it needs refuelling and that is the best way to stay healthy.

By the way, when I returned back from my vacation, I had to attend my Grandmother's funeral - she was 102 born in 1902 - it speaks for itself.

Anyway, I wish you and yours a very festive season and I for one will not be eating too much otherwise I wont' get into my dress for New Year's Eve

Regards,
Maureen
Old December 26th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to mojo2rusty Send a message via Yahoo to mojo2rusty

When I was on the Conquest a few weeks ago I boarded in cloths that were appropriate for the dining room. Khaki pants and a holiday theamed turtle neck sweater. All of my friends did the same or had something in their carry on orher than jeans or shorts. 2 yrs ago when we sailed out of Miami, we had dining room appropriate cloths in our carry on's to change into before dinner. Even the last night we all held out something other than jeans or shorts for the dining room.

Guess I don't understand why people get in such a twist. If you don't want to follow the dress code, there are so many other places to eat. You won't go hungry.

JMHO!

Carnival Triumph Dec 2002
Carnival Conquest Dec. 05, 2004
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM
First Mate

Well, you'd never guess just by looking at me that I love food. I love to eat. I will admit that. But it sure doesn't show. A typical day at sea for me... eat breafast at the buffet, wait a couple hours and chill in the sun then maybe go for some ice cream or pizza or some fries... which ever sounds better at the time. Then later on, for lunch I'll eat a nice meal or well a meal at the buffet once again. I'll wait till my food settles, then go for some ice cream :o) Then maybe again later on I'll have more ice cream... sometimes not, though. And then usually we have the late seating for dinner. And I go there and eat a nice meal. Then some hours later,,, ice cream again. Or just before bed I'll have a piece of pizza :o) Yep I eat alot. But do you think a 93pound body would prove that? On a cruise I feel the food is there and if I want a bite to eat,, why not get it? I just about get my money's worth .

And as for waiting till you're really hungry to eat, so that you can actually "enjoy" your meal. I don't know if I can agree with that. Because when I'm REALLY hungry.... I tend to eat fast and really stuff myself full so that it is uncomfortable. But eating small portions throughout the day, I find I can really enjoy the food better that way, and actually taste it . And don't stuff myself so full that it is uncomfortable.

However, none of that has to do with wearing jeans and shorts in the dining room.. why did this come up? strange.... oh well :o) I said my two cents also.

Anyway, ya'll have a fabulous, safe and fun New Year! Don't drink and drive, my fellow CruiseMates. And if you're on a cruise for New Years... Then drink and party and have a good ol' time,,,, but stay smart :o)

(*)Kim(*)

Sensation in...

Post Edited (12-30-04 09:40)
Old December 31st, 2004, 09:46 AM
BigCraig

For us cruising is eating, it is funny but while eating we are thinking about what is to eat next...
our typical schedule, before going to sleep we place a room service card for breakfast on the balcony while we get ready for breakfast in the restaurant, have a hot breakfast in the restaurant, walk around for an hour and get a piece or 3 of pizza washed down with some ice cream, go to the pool (even shamoo has a swimmers build) and have some hot dogs and cheeseburgers, go back to the cabin and change for lunch, a little from the buffet a sandwich and some chinese and back to the pool maybe an extra hot dog to nosh on, go back to the cabin and get ready for dinner often having 2 or 3 different entrees(need variety you know) take in a show fathomed from sitting for an hour get some more pizza and a little frozen yogurt (its healthy you know) and wait out the long hour or so waiting for the midnight buffet, still a little hunger was calling so bring some more pizza back to the cabin for a bedtime snack with skim milk, this helps us dream about eating the next morning.
I like to keep my good physique, its hard keeping this 450 lb body looking sooo good, only food is my best friend, so stay in england maureen and hope my jewels don't fall out of my shorts at dinner time (hows that for crewd american humor) fish and chips will never be on our menu, and to think my late dad was from nottingham.
Old December 31st, 2004, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Good one Craig! I'm with you!
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:54 AM
BigCraig