Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:17 PM
pastordon

Default Food To Go

Is it illegal to take food off the ship on shore excursions? I was thinking that room service sandwiches would taste pretty good on a beach in Mexico if its not illegal to take food off the ship. I've taken prepackaged food like crackers in a beach bag, but I have a fold up cooler with wheels that could handle water, sandwiches and even a couple pieces of fruit from the Lido deck if its not illegal. Anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Food To Go

I read some where it is illegal to bring fruit and veg ashore or back on bought, that whole pesky fruit fly customs thing. Not sure about meat and snacks though.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:28 AM
BigCraig

We just came off the Triumph and brought food and fruit to the beach in cozumel and grand cayman, you CANNOT bring it back onboard, if you get caught it will cost you a $250 fine.
Bring your own water bottles if you dont want to pay $2.25 for a little bottle of water.
Happy Sailing
Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
pastordon

Default Re: Re: Food To Go

Big Craig, if I understand you correctly, it's not illegal to take food off the ship, only illegal to bring food from shore back onto the ship? We always fill up a couple quart thermos bottles with ice and water, I just wanted to make sure we could take unpackaged food off the ship while in port. Thanks for your reply.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

On another posting i heard somewhere that once back at your US port, you can not take food off the ship. I'm not sure whether this is true or not but it seems like i'd read somewhere where someone had tried to bring some fruit off the ship to eat on their way home and it was confiscated or they were told they had to finish it before leaving ship--again--I don't know. Please someone with knowlege enlighten me. Thanks

Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Many people order sandwiches from room service and take them off at ports. I don't think you will have a problem with doing this. We took some snack food off (cookies, etc.) and had no problem.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
BigCraig

pastordon,
yes it is correct and done by many to avoid health problems especially in Mexico, we also brought on shore sandwiches and drinks, we did eat and drink in Ocho Rios at Margaritaville and had no problem.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:16 PM
sls

The capers will state whether you can take fruit off. On the Southern route, St Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, Aruba it clearly stated in the capers you couldn't take fruit off the ship.

sls
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

This question is actually a very good one, I am also interested in finding the correct answer.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
pastordon

Thanks for all the imput. I'm not interested in taking food off the ship for on the way home, just for the beaches in Mexico. Going on the Spirit in March and I got monty's revenge in Mexico one time, so I'd rather save money and save my stomach by taking food off the ship. I'm trusting that you are right Big Craig and Dorothy and thanks again for the reply.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Admiral

A number of people do take food ashore with them in the ports. I kinda prefer to sample the local fare myself but to each his own. You cannot take food back onboard though. You definately cannot take food, plants, fruit, or any other type agriculture products off the ship when you return home to the USA. Very strict about that and heavy fines if you try to smuggle it ashore. That includes flowers so that is something to remember when you see these beautiful flowers that they sell in the ports, remember you can't take them home with you.
Jim

Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Jim. I didn't know about the flower rule. Does this apply to dried flowers also?

As for the food, we bring empty containers and insulated bottles just so we can take a few snacks with us on the islands/ports. Nobody has ever questioned it. As long as you don't get carried away with it, I think that's ok.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Not positive about the dried flowers but I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to talk to the customs/agriculture people to get a good answer on this. Whatever you do, do not believe the locals that are selling them, according to them you can buy and take anything back! They would sell you a donkey or a yak if they thought you would buy it. <VBG>
Jim

Old December 23rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
pastordon

Would a fold-up cooler on wheels be "getting carried away". It will fold flat in my suitcase but its probably big enough to put a case of pop in when it's unfolded. T he wheels just seem more pratical than a duffel bag. It's probably the size of a gym bag unfolded.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Admiral

To me yes that would be too big and would limit what we want to do. Remember you have to tate the darn thing around with you. Honestly, the only thing we take off the ship with us is a bottle of water that we have refilled from the ships supply and our S&S card, a reasonable amount of cash like $100 in small bills and a credit card that has our photo on it n case we buy somthing large and maybe a drivers license. That's it, anything else we can pick up ashore.
Jim

Old December 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM
pastordon

I don't thimk the cooler would limit what we want to do; we just want to take a taxi to a beach for the day. However, I wouldn't want to do anything that would be inappropriate. I respect your comments Jim, and have enjoyed the information you have shared on many topics. Thanks for your imput. I will think about whether the "hassle" would be worth it.