Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Default What else can happen

About two and a half months ago DH and I booked a cruise for Jan 8th. At the time we were promised our documents before Christmas. We still do not have our documents, so I thought it might be best to call our agent. So, today, I find out our agent no longer works with the agency and no one seems to know anything about our cruise or who we are. So, I called Carnival and pleaded with the Carnival Rep to please confirm that we are at least booked on the cruise. We aren't! I was told that there is a hold on a cabin for us, but the booking has not been made yet! We booked when Carnival was offering upgrades for past guest which my husband is, and it was made very clear to the agent that this was why we were booking at that time. Now we don't know if we will even be on the cruise at all. Of course the agent had no problem at all taking our money. In the past I have always booked directly with the people that I would be staying with and what not when vacationing. My DH has always used a travel agent. I think next time we will be doing it my way.
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What else can happen

I guess I lost my countdown clock too.

Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
First Mate

nope there it is

Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Tamie..

Did you pay for the cruise using a credit card? Was a charge put through on the card? Hope you didn't pay for this in cash, without getting any type of receipt and confirmation.

If it was on your charge card, your statement should show who the money went to... and you can track it from there.

If there was a hold put on the cabin, but it was never paid, I can't imagine Carnival would still have it on hold after 2 1/2 mnths.

Hope you get it straightened out, but something seems strange.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Passenger

Tamie,
I feel the same as you. For the past 12 years we have vacationed at Disney, and except for the first year, we have always booked everything ourselves without the help of a TA. We booked our airfare on line, our hotel reservations directly with Disney, got our tickets through AAA, car rental on line. You name it, we did it ourselves. I like the feeling that I'm in control.

We just booked our first cruise, and I really wanted to do it myself on line. But because we needed three cabins very close to each other, and you can only book one at a time on line, I felt it was better left to the TA. So far she is doing just an okay job. (Hard to reach during the day, waits to return calls, etc.) I know I'm not the only customer she has but still, when I do it myself, I'm the only customer.

In your case, at the very least, I think the travel agency where the TA worked should follow through on the booking in good faith, especially since they took your money. This was an employee of theirs who was neglectful. Ask to speak to the travel agency manager. Good Luck!
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Kuki, the travel arrangements were paid by credit card. I did finally get someone to call me this morning. Of course that was after an e-mail to the main office of the travel agency with a copy sent to the Ontario Travel Commision as well. I am still waiting for the agent that I spoke with to call me back with the Carnival booking number as promised by her. I did tell her that I expected this today with no excuses. I also let her know that I expected the upgrades that were promised. Personally, I do not care if the upgrades have to be paid for by the agency. After this screw up I truly expect more than that out of them. I will update when I get some more information.

Old December 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Tamie, Please let us know what happens. The good part is that it was paid by CC. Hopefully it went directly to Carnival in which case you will have a cabin. If not then the agency damn well better get you your cabin or you probably have a great lawsuit on your hands. What we try to tell everyone is to ALWAYS pay by CC and insure that the payment is made ONLY to the cruiseline and never to the agency. In addition you should ALWAYS get a booking confirmation # from the cruiseline that should be sent to you ASAP in writing. Get the confirmation # from your agent at the time of booking as well and make sure they match. If your agent is not easy to get in touch with or you have any problems in communication then speak to a supervisor or transfer your booking 5to an agent that will take care of you. Never book with any agency that charges you a 'booking' fee or any other type of fee or has a fee for cancellation in addition to what the cruiseline charges. Tamie, I hope it works out for you and please let us know.
Jim

Old December 24th, 2004, 05:04 PM
First Mate

I have the booking number now, but have now discovered that when I asked that the air be booked with Carnivals air/cruise package that was not done. They booked the airfare through their own air/cruise package which is seperate from Carnivals and does not offer the same assurances that you would get through the Carnival package. We also have not gotten the upgrades we were suppose to get by booking at the time that we did. I plan to call the head office on Monday as they were not open today as well as file a complaint with the Ontario Travel Board about this. What really amazed me was while I was on the phone with the travel agent, she kept trying to sell me what I was lead to believe I was paying for and getting in the first place at an extra charge of course. She also kept trying to divert that conversation away from the fact that she did not book the package as I asked her to do in the first place.

Old December 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Jim Bragg could not be more correct regarding your Carnival booking number.

I have used TA's and booked online myself with zero problems, but I always insist on receiving my Carnival booking number. This is different than a booking number or account number your TA or on-line site uses for their internal needs. If they ever balk at providing you with this number, a million red flags should be going up 'cause something is not right. All reputable agencies will gladly give you this number.

I then go to Carnival's web site and click on the My Reservation button in the upper right corner. Enter this booking number along with ship name and sailing date and you should see all details of your booking.

It's great piece of mind to see that Carnival confirms your booking and that there are no problems.

Victory - 2003
Inspiration - 2004
Victory - 2004
Glory - 2005
Holiday - 2005
Old December 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Passenger

CRUZFINDER,
That is great advice. I will call my TA on Monday as well and get my Carnival Booking number too.