CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Porters.....to tip, or not to tip? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/201010-porters-tip-not-tip.html)

Bart December 28th, 2004 12:24 PM

Porters.....to tip, or not to tip?

First off it is my understanding that the porters are not Carnival employees. If this is correct then who employs the porters? Could it be accurate that the porters simply come on their own accord and work for tips? If that is true, which it is most likely NOT, what kind of regulatory system is in place for the porters? Also, what is stopping us, the passengers from placing our bags in the correct carriers ourselves? Just curious and aggrivated by the antics of the last porter we had to deal with on Carnival in Miami. We did not have to endure any of the heckling from anyone on the Radisson cruise we took to Alaska and found it quite nice.

Later,
BART

Happy Camper December 28th, 2004 12:47 PM

Re: Porters.....to tip, or not to tip?

I think they are enployed by the port -maybe the port authority??? I do think they work on tips. We do tip - a few dollars a bag or so... Worth it not to have to carry the luggage! Debbie

HappyCruiser383 December 28th, 2004 01:08 PM

I'm a penny pincher! I get luggage with wheels and will roll my bags all the way up to my cabin to avoid extra costs such as tips if I have to. Of course, most of the porters that I've run into are agressive, and very unfriendly. I will go out of my way to tip extra for the nicer people who go out of their way for me.

Daneen December 28th, 2004 02:17 PM

I agree, the Porters at Miami are awfully agressive. We even saw one porter chasing this young couple and yelling that he needed his tip. I felt bad for them as it was probably their honeymoon or their first cruise and they were not expecting this confrontation. We always just wad up some dollar bills (try to make it one for every bag) and put it in the porters hands when he walks up. When we disembark we try to carry our bags out of the terminal to the cab area. I think we can get our bags to the cabs seeing as how we got them all the way from home to the terminal in the first place. When we were leaving Miami a porter started grabbing all of our bags and started walking over to one of the shuttle buses, we had to stop him before he loaded them on the bus and we just started to take them off his little wagon and walked away. One of my soft sided suitcases was ripped because he had so much packed on top of it the edge of the wagon tore the bag. (It was an L shaped tear) When you arrive though, they kind of have you because they are the ones who take them to the ship. I don't mind tipping, it is just irratating how rude they are, I guess maybe they don't have to many to answer to do they? We always try to tip the guys who bring our bags to our room also, afterall they are probably the ones who are just working their way up to room steward or something and probably don't get tips. Happy Sailing

Cruisingrandma December 28th, 2004 02:41 PM

I guess i enjoy the whole deal. I love having a porter take my bags and i think that few dollars it cost me is well worth it. i tip at least $2 a bag. If we have 2 bags to be checked we usually give a five dollar bill. I feel better knowing my bags r taken to the ship and i did my best to make someone happy with a good tip. I am so relaxed and ready for my cruise. i dont want to have to worry about my bags. I jsut want to get on the ship and enjoy! Hey we r all working for something. Whether or not we make tips or are paid totally by our employer.. We should all understand that everyone is out there to make a buck. I do work for tips and I understand the concept.. Not everyone does...... Happy cruising

Jim Bragg December 28th, 2004 02:53 PM

The porters are employed by the port itself and not any particuliar cruiseline. They work for tips. We normally tip a dollar a bag. Some can be aggriessive and you do not need to tolerate them. If they get nasty simply tell them to go away and place your bags in the bin yourself but watch and make sure they don't mess with them afterwards either. We did once have a porter in Tampa start screaming at my elderly Mother demanding that he take all the luggage and that we not carry anything onboard. I had to come back down the escalator to rescue my wife and Mom from this individual. He no longer works there and was fired for what amounted to assault on my mom and wife. Usually we have had no problems with the porters when we arrive even though all they do is take your bags from the car and place them in the luggage bin. The ones that often get nasty are the ones grabbing and yelling when you return. We ignore them and handle our own bags to our vehicle.
Jim

Happy Camper December 28th, 2004 03:54 PM

I guess I've been only going out of local ports for so long - Galveston the porters are in short demand and seem very nice. New Orleans was nice the last time I was there - it has been years though.... I actually have to wait for them and flag them down... :) Debbie

Bart December 28th, 2004 05:00 PM

hmmm.....interesting

AKcruiser December 29th, 2004 12:49 AM

Bart, what ship are you sailing on in 11days?

AKcruiser

Bart December 29th, 2004 11:44 AM

Valor

Dorothy December 29th, 2004 12:51 PM

I'm with cruisingrandma - I LIKE not having to drag my bags on board. It's well worth the $1 or $2 per bag for me. The porters we ran into in Port Canaveral were VERY helpful and quite friendly. Guess it's just luck of the draw.

dorothy

Kuki December 29th, 2004 01:08 PM

Unless your bags are small enough to fit through an "airport style" X ray machine at security you can not take your luggage on the ship by yourself.

sls December 29th, 2004 03:37 PM

Our flight was delayed when we got to San Juan for our recent Destiny trip and there weren't any porters. Had to drag our luggage over to an area where a guy put it on a conveyor belt. Save me tip money.

sls

TIA December 29th, 2004 10:13 PM

I plan on tipping the porters ell and being extra nice, I want my luggage to make on board

BigCraig December 30th, 2004 08:49 AM

The porters are employees of the port authority and get paid very well plus what ever they get in tips, read my review on our recent Triumph sailing 12-11/ 12-18-2004 on this board.
When we arrived to the port of miami we parked directly in front of the large baggage bins that are fork lifted onto the ship and as I was putting my bags into it myself a porter ran over and started to help out than put his hand out(literally) and I handed him a $10 bill, he counted outloud in front of everyone "that is all your going to give me for 9 bags? you know you will NEVER see me again and you want all your bags don't you?"
Well all of our bags were delivered(by CCL paid employees) except 1 with my underwear, when I went to the Pursers desk and told them what he said the chief purser put out a search for it and hand delivered it himself to me about an hour later.
All was well until the end when a porter put all our bags on his cart to go to our waiting car when he saw we still had to go to customs and said " you are going to take care of me, right?" I said "ofcourse" handed him a $20 bill and he walked away saying what a cheap "bast&*$". oh well for them, next time it will be a $5 and a laugh from me.

sls December 30th, 2004 10:01 AM

I think the people on Carnival who schlep those bags through the narrow corridors deserve the tips.

sls

Bart December 30th, 2004 10:29 AM

frankly.....The porters can kiss my $&&. Coming from Minnesota I am simply not accustomed to, nor will I tolerate some degenerate telling me what his services are worth. If he is not able to deal with the lack of tip from me I will simply suggest the previous comment. I simply cannot beleive the story about porters I hear, it is unbeleivable!!! To give you a little insight into my previous experience I will share some of the details. So we get off the bus, and I take my bags to the porters staging area, mind you this is my first cruise and I have no idea that I am expected to tip, I hand them to the porter. The porter then turns around and puts that bags in the bin directly behind him, this took a total of 10 seconds since there were only 2 bags between my wife and I. I then walk about 25 yards towards the port building and another man grabs my arm and say that the man who took our bags has something to say to us. So we walk back to him and he asks us for his tip, I explained that I would have rather put the bags in the bin myself then had him do it and pay a tip. Keeping in mind that there is a line of about 50-75 people being held up by this conversation. He then goes on to ask if I feel "comfortable" leaving my bags with him. I said yes indeed I do. He then went on to explain the appropriate $5 per bag tip.......and then he had the gull to ask me the following....."Sir, what would you like me to do with your bags now?" I simply and quickly responded "whatever you feel fit.....SIR" and promptly showed him by back.

Thats my take on porters, if they dont like "schlepping" bags around I suggest they get a different line of work.

Brenda in Canada December 30th, 2004 11:20 AM

Oh my gosh!! They sound like thugs!!! I sure hope we do not get any mean ones. We will have our 2 kids(7,13) with us! We will tip- as I DO want our bags to get on the ship!! But it will not be a generous tip as it sounds like they move the bags 10 feet or so!! I can't believe that they would sabotage someone's luggage!! Why doesn't someone email the Port Authority people who hire these "thugs"?!!!!!!
I am from Canada and these porters sound very scary!!!
I agree it should be the people who actually haul the luggage to your room deserve the tip!

BigCraig December 31st, 2004 10:29 AM

What would we do though if you are 2 hours out to sea and the porter removes your bags? will you remember there name? than what?
Why not insist they have a baggage check in like the airlines do and do away with onboard tipping and add it onto the cruise price and pay the help a living wage.
We went to our favorite restaurant when we came home and the service was terrible, we did not leave a tip and we discovered the waitress re-ran our cc adding 20% onto our total, our cc company gave it back to us and the restaurant owner was so mad she did this she was terminated and sent us a gift card for $50

Bart December 31st, 2004 11:38 AM

If my bags didnt reach the ship I would have to take it to a different level. When I got back to shore, so help me God....you dont want to know!

Daneen December 31st, 2004 12:13 PM

Wouldn't it be great if enough of us who have had these experiences complained to the Port Authority and something was done about it. We all share these experiences with each other and it ends there. This problem has gotten much worse since we took our first cruise 7 years ago. We never have had a problem at the Tampa port. I looked up the Miami Port Authority website and dug through the directory till I found the name and address of the Seaport Passenger Terminal Manager. I think it is better to correspond to such matters by mail and not e-mail, but I will give both of the addresses.
Paul Hinchey
Port of Miami-Dade
Administrative Offices
1015 N. America Way
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33132

Att: Seaport Passenger Terminal Operations Manager

e-mail: portofmiami@miamidade.gov

Anyone else with me? It will get it off your chest and it will only cost 37 cents. I think it is terrible that you have to start your vacation off worrying if your luggage is going to be
ripped up or "lost". I think they are all talk, but we shouldn't have to put up with their rudeness. I think it is a lazy way to make a living, and I'm sure the porters don't even have to report their earnings for taxes like we all do!

skymaster December 31st, 2004 02:40 PM

After a whole bunch of cruises (over 100), we've never had a problem with the porters. More often than not, they are friendly, and helpful, and I too consider it a bargain to NOT have to carry all the stuff the lovely Mrs. Jones packs all the way to the cabin. We get the tip in hand just before arriving at the port, (usually $1 per bag), and hand it to the porter, with a smile, as we hand him our bags. Works for us!
Happy sailing,
Ken

Thomas December 31st, 2004 03:27 PM

I've only had a problem with the porters once and although he should have been a responsible human being and done the right thing I also accept some of the blame. Mrs. Thomas dropped me off at the unloading spot and took the car, with the cash purse, to park the car. Well, the porter had taken our luggage out of the trunk and loaded it onto the carriage bin and when I went to tip him all the cash I had on me was $3. Embarassingly, I explained to him that was the only cash I currently had available and apologized for the low tip.

One of my bags had two mesh net type sleeves on the outside which contained my sandals. These were my favorite sandals and were very expensive. Guess what? When my bags arrived to my room one sandal was missing. I checked in lost and found throughout the cruise but I never recovered my missing sandal.

It felt weird walking around the ship with only one sandal. <g>

Regards,
Thomas(who always makes sure he has $2 per bag now)

BigCraig December 31st, 2004 04:18 PM

Good thing it was only a sandal, can you imagine if your underwear did not show up...or your bag with cosmetics and medicines, these portars are evil and there is nothing we can do about it once out to sea.

Craig (who will join you making sure I have $2 per bag getting onboard)

Lisa January 1st, 2005 02:40 AM

I always carry the necessities on board in a carryon - medicine, makeup, swimsuit, any valuables and a change of clothes. Everything else is packed. I always tip the porter about $5 or so for the two bags I check and I have NEVER run into a rude porter. As in all professions there are a few bad apples that spoil the whole bunch. I also think our attitude has something to do with how we are treated. I always smile, say good morning (or afternoon) thank them and wish them a good day. Works wonders!

For those who have had a really terrible experience, I am sorry - as I stated above there are few bad apples in EVERY profession: doctors, nurses, cops, teachers, executives, etc.