Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
First Mate

Default Marriage License??

Has anyone been asked for their marriage license when boarding the lady at Carnival said we need them my sister doesnt have hers and we cruise in 20 days...Do you think she has to have one? I wasnt askedb for mine in Feb.. But id hate for them not to let us board because of this........Please help.......... Thanks Shelly

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Marriage License??

If she changed her name and it isn't the same as on her birth certificate, she should bring it just in case. The name on your Drivers License should match the name on your birth certificate.

I never could figure out why women feel the necessity to change their names when they get married, it just causes lots of problems like this.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

The only reason I could see Carnival asking for a marriage license is because a new bride has changed her name and it doesn't match the one on the driver's license or passport. Other than that, I doubt that Carnival would give a rap.

Self-appointed moralists haven't succeeded in bullying the cruise industry to the extent that the cruise industry would require unmarried adults of the opposite genders sharing the same quarters to produce certificates of matrimony in order to board ship, or force cruise lines to assume that three or more adults sharing cabin space are planning hanky-panky. I doubt that they ever will.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:02 PM
nicehuman

We went on two cruises last year and although I did bring it, no one asked for it and I did not have to produce it.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

My B.C. and my drivers license do not have the same last name and I was never asked for or was it even suggested that I bring a marriage license. I thought the only time they wanted to see a marriage license was if the bride and/or groom were not old enough otherwise to cruise without someone over 25 in the room. I have since applied for a passport so I guess I won't have to consider this on my next cruise.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:56 AM
bjkeen

I say, take whatever is required so you don't miss your ship.
Enjoy your cruise!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Marriage License??

My mom was told to bring her marriage license to show the change of name. because her drivers license doesn't match her birth certificate.

Cruisin out in:
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
First Mate

I guess if she had hers shed bring it but the X burned it when he ran off with the TROLL!! So hopfully she doesnt have a problem getting on I will bring mine but dont think ill need it ......Thanks for all of your replys..........

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
hschipper

Just cruised last week on the Victory. Brought the marriage license, but wasn't asked for it. None of the married females in our party (8 of us) were asked for a marriage license.
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Beginner

I have been on 4 cruises w/ Carnival and have #5 bookd for April. I have never been asked to produce a marriage certificate. The only thing I can think of is if your drivers license of ID still has your old name and you booked the cruise under your married name. As someone stated, if they tell you to bring it, then bring it for safety's sake. I just don't see the rationale.
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Kitty21

This isn't quite the same thing, but when we went on the Glory a few weeks ago, my uncle's name had been misspelled by the cruise line itself and they still let him through even though his name on the books and the name he had on documents weren't the same. Its good to take precautionary measures, but carnival is usually forgiving. Except in extreme circumstances.

Kitty
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Passenger

You be able to get a copy of the marriage certificate at the office of vital records in the town that she was married in if that is at all possible. I know that foe most people say you do not need it but if you can get it and it can save you hassel then why not do it, beats missing the ship if they do ask for it. Just my opinion.

Old January 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Admiral

My passport only has my maiden name on it and so I always keep a certified copy of my marriage license paper clipped inside my passport just in case. If your sister was married in the area she now resides, it should be as simple as a quick trip down to the courthouse to get an "official" copy of her license (It has to have a raised seal on it). She simply needs to be able to have a documented papertrail of the name change, and it is my understanding that they can deny you boarding if your documents are not in order and if you do not have documentation explaining the name changes. She could take a chance, but if she has 20 days until her cruise, hopefully that will be enough time to get it and honestly it isn't worth taking the risk of being turned away at the port. Best wishes for a great cruise to both of you.