Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to pretty1111
Default Kiddos

OK, question. Please, don't anyone get mad or upset with me for asking this. On our last two cruises, there were many many children unsupervised. I spent one afternoon watching a 2 YO keep heading for the stairs while his parents were drinking their afternoon away. Now, I realize that this is not my responsibility (I am a social worker and my DH kept telling me I was not at work...hehe) however, neither am I going to sit there and watch a child tumble into the pool or down a flight of stairs. Has anyone encountered this??? What would you suggest we do if this occurs again??? I have no problem with kids being kids, as long as the parents are adequately supervising, which seems to be lacking.

Also, several parents were taking kiddos into the pull in regular diapers...I know this is against policy, but when I told someone, they did nothing about it....I shudder to think of the health concerns this brings.

Any advice???
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Kiddos

I am a mother of 4 and as I am sure all parent think they are good parents there are some that are not if I were in this position and my child was going to get hurt (all though I will not be drinking my day away(maybe my night) I would hope that somone would let me know but I guess if the parent is drunk that may not be such a great idea so maybe do it in a suttle way and let them see for themselves. Let the child fall in just be there to pull them out and let the parent know that maybe they should be watching them better MAYBE theyll catch a clue!! Hard situation but if you cruise on the Pride on Jan 23rd I can asure you my children will be well behaved !!!!!

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to pretty1111

Hmmm I posted and lost it...

Thanks Shelly!!! I think it is the parents who think that their kids can do no wrong....

On our honeymoon cruise, DH and I were seated in a balcony and looked down on a table that had multiple adults and kids. During every dinner the kids were lying spread eagled across their chairs (boys and girls); shoveling food into their mouths with the plate 3 inches from their faces; stuffing whole rolls in their mouths; spearing entire hot dogs with their forks then waving them around; running around the table....need I continue??? And these were older kids, I would guess from about 6 - 15...the parents continued to eat and found their children's antics very amusing...

I would have been in lots of trouble if I had acted that way as a child!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
First Mate

Ditto my children would have spent the evening in the bathroom(with me) being lectured then spanked and to the room with nothing to do the rest of the cruise I am one that will not tolerate misbehaving especially at the dinner table.. But I do let them have fun and be children when the time is right......Dont get me wrong im not one of these parents that dont allow kids to be kids I just want them to behave and have respect and manners.......Shelly

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Pretty,

I can understand the feelings that you had about watching parents allow their two year old child wander around unsupervised. When I was a teenager I worked as a life guard. While off duty one day I was walking by a pool with a friend of mine. There were two women sitting by the pool quite intoxicated having a wonderful time. Then when we looked into the pool there was a child about 8 years old laying on the bottom of the pool. After pulling the child out of the pool I had to preform CPR on him to get him breathing again. While I was trying to do this and my friend had run off to call 911 the mother of this child physcially assualted me, while I was trying to get her son breathing again.

If I were on a cruise and saw what you described I would more than likely inform the staff of the unsupervised child and allow them to deal with it. I am sure you would understand the potential dangers of confronting a parent that is drinking and neglecting their child, since you are a social worker.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Admiral

INform an Officer and not just a bartender or one of the deck hands and let them know what is going on and youmight hint that should somethng happen to the child those 'parents' are the type that will sue the cruiseline and cause them many problems and maybe someone their job. They certainly will not like that and will act accordingly and if the parents do not comply the Captain can if necessary put them off at the next port. This is unfortunately not all that uncommon, on ANY ship or cruiseline or on land. There are many parents our there that do not control or watch their children but are quick to blame others should something happen.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Passenger

I know that it is hard for me not to say something. I have seen situations like this in stores, resturants, and in family vacation spots (ex, disneyland). The most recent was when we (me, dh and 2 young ds 5 and 2). Children in line with their parents (talking or on the phone) whie they were climbing on the chain to hold everyone in the line formation. I said something to the child, and the parent did even notice. Of course the child, went next to the parent like nothing happend, but that does get to me at times. Maybe its because when my own sons are acting up, I say something to them or take care of the situation at that time (by leaving).

However, I don't know why other parents won't do this too.