Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Jeff Michigan

Default RCCL/ Why so special?

Whats the scoop w/ RCCL. I have been on 5 Carnival Ships and loved them. SOme people say they only go Royal Caribbean.......What's so special with that line???????
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: RCCL/ Why so special?

Whats so special about Carnival? I have more time in the Carnival elevators then most people have on the ships, But I still prefer RCCL, as a matter of fact I'm going on my 13 RCCL cruise on the 30th of this month.

I guess the bottem line is "we all have our personal preferences". Thats why there are Chevy's and Fords (and a few toyota's).
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Admiral

As the other poster said, you say tamato, I say tomato. Both products are very much alike and cater to the same type of demografics. I personally like CCL a bit better but certainly would cruise on RCI anytime. I feel that overall CCL has better food, entertainment, and the service while not as 'polished' as RCI is friendlier, and the standard cabins are much larger. Basically it is differant stro0kes for differant folks and if they are realistic about it there isn't that much differance and one should like them both if they like either one.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Dixie Lee

Hi, Jeff,
Have you cruised RCCL? We have been on both RCCL and Carnival. Liked Carnival, LOVED RCCL. Why? RCCL is a step-up, IN MY OPINION, in quality and service. Better food, better drinks, shows just as nice, nicer ships, crew more attentive - oh, well - this is my opinion only. For the reasons that Jim likes Carnival better are the reasons we like RCCL better. Nice to have some many choices? Maybe easier if we didn't! After several cruises, we started looking more at itineraries and THEN at the ships that sail those areas. Heading to Alaska in May on HAL! We made up our minds that we wanted to try an entirely different cruiseline to see what they are all about. I'm game to give them all a try until proven otherwise.
Dixie Lee
PS - RCCL is our favorite at this point in time, so I had to speak on their defense (!)
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
BigCraig

We love both CCL & RCCL, CCL has better food and coffee and a bigger cabin, while RCCL has better entertainment and better bingo, done both love both.
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:39 AM
rickmurg

I don't think Jeff was tying to start a ruckus. I think he was just curious.

It's funny to hear folks on both sides of the fence. I hear the food is not as good on RCCL and thay don't have as much to do. But that the service is better and the ships are more "classy".

This will be my 4th CCL and I love the food, have always had good service. I enjoy the glitz of CCL ships because it reminds me of Vegas. The people on CCLs ships, so far, have been great. Down to earth and fun loving.

I'm sure we will try RCCL at some point but I really enjoy the CCL ships and the new ones are awesome.

11 days for me.

Rick
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Believe it or not Rick, you have pretty well nailed it without even have been on RCI to compare. What you have heard is correct. Again, this is overall and subject to not only opinion but what you may actually encounter. Nothing is ever set in stone.
Jim

Old January 4th, 2005, 02:07 PM
rickmurg

Jim,

I have also heard it's a little old crowd on RCI. Is that true?

Rick
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Not really. I think the average age is 49 on RCI and 47 on CCL so not that you would really notice. The age differance that yopu notice most is due to the lenght of the cruise. Generally the longer the cruise the older the passengers. Also take into consideration holidays and when school is out you have not only more kids but more younger adults who are their parents.
Jim

Old January 4th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Once again, Jim and I will agree to disagree. Been on two Carnival cruises and one RCCL and I feel RCCL is better all around. Yes, Carnival has larger cabins. To me, that is the extent of their superiority. I felt RCCL had better food, service (very friendly and professional staff), better entertainment. Of course, I like Princess and Celebrity better than RCCL!

Old January 4th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Royal Caribbean have taken an enormous chunk of the family cruise segment with their Voyager Class ships, with their rock climbing walls, skating rinks, and Promenade parades, dedicated teen discos etc. So there's no real shortage of activities.

And there's really no more organized games, activities and pool games on Carnival. Both lines are very similar in that regard.

RCI takes the edge in interior design, with a more refined look. And in my opinion Carnival takes the edge in food quality, though I give RCI the edge in service. And I've found servers equally friendly on both lines.

Fact is both lines are marketing to basically the same market segment... and you're likely to have a great time on both. Though they are slightly different in their approach... neither line is "sleepy hollow".

Old January 4th, 2005, 08:31 PM
TonyO

I would say everyone has their favorite for different reasons mentioned above. We have been on two RCCL cruises, most recently the Enchantment of the Seas last summer, and couldn't have been happier with everything! Food, service, entertainment, cleanliness were all spectacular to be honest!
We have booked our first cruise on Carnival this June on the Immagination and are praying that its close to what we experienced on RCCL ships we have been on. I keep reading good and bad, which does concern me. If you do research, you find more negative comments about Carnival ships then RCCL. So we are a bit worried, but looking forward at the same time. Hope the Immagination is a nice, clean, fun ship.
TonyO.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Maureen Tollington

Default Re: Re: RCCL/ Why so special?

Der Kuki,

I would have to say I feel what you say is very correct from our experience. After 2 Carnival Cruises we thought we would 'upgrade' ourselves, as it was our honeymoon and change to RCCL. However, the ship was beautiful, service definately better, food equal to what we had experienced on Carnvial and the cabins and lack of things to do a real negative with RCCL.

You see, we are not 'into the shows' and so after late dinner whilst the show is on, we found that with RCCL, the ship was more or less dead until the shows had finished. However, I will admit with Carnival, if you do not wish to see the shows (which mahy people don't), there is still plenty to do and I will still say this is so with our last cruise on the Victory.

Also, 100% agree that Carnival's cabins are more spacious and you do not feel so confined as we did with RCCL even though we had booked an oceanview.

This is why, last year (end 2004) we opted for Carnival once again. However, as many of you will know, we found this to be the worst of all - cabin (balcony) was great, met some great people which made the cruise enjoyable, but the food, service and general ambience of the working of the ship were abysmal.

I also think that both lines are aiming for the same market so I suppose in the end, you go for the itineraries, dates and go who offers the best deal, because in the end, if you close your eyes on either cruiselines, you would be hard pressed to guess which ship or cruiselines you were travelling on. A much of a muchness, in the end.

We are currently talking to lots of cruisers over here who are all backing Princess, Celebrity, Crystal etc having all experience both Carnival and RCCL and all appear to be of the same view - there is really no difference between the two - if you want a bigger cabin, go for Carnival - if you want better service - go for RCCL. - if you want neither, go elsewhere and pay more such as we will do in future.

Kind regards,
Maureen
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Maureen Tollington

Default Re: Re: Re: RCCL/ Why so special?

oops - just a little correct on my 'english' there - when I said if you want neither, I did of course, mean the cruiselines and not the better cabin and better service - sorry about that typing too fast before it came out of my head!

To summarise, for what you pay, I am sure both Cruiselines offer basic value for money - it is all down to is that what you want or do you really want to have a holiday experience that you will really value!
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Dixie Lee

I found TonyO's comments interesting in that they mirror concerns we started having with HAL. We are both 48, have cruised on RCCL and CCL, and wanted to try a different cruiseline, decided to splurge and upgrade ourselves with a verandah suite on a smaller ship to, hopefully, experience more of the perks, amenities and service that would come with HAL and that they have a reputation for - anyway, from all of our research, TA recommendations, etc. - we chose HAL Statendam because that really seemed to fit exactly what we are looking for from the cruiseline, ship and itinerary. THEN we started reading message boards that talked about how the average age is 70+, most passengers are in walkers and wheelchairs, not much to do, etc. etc. etc. - nothing but a geriatric ward on a ship! I really got concerned. But, when I talk with cruisers that love HAL, I feel reassured but there is still that little nagging feeling that we will be disappointed. I am counting on a great cruise, but all the negatives do tend to bring one down.
Dixie Lee
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Admiral

HAL does attract an older crowd but that does not mean that everyone is old. In addition in the last few years the average of passengers on HAL has come down considerably as they are appealing more and more to the younger crowd. I would not worry and just go and have a good time and judge for yourself.
Jim

Old January 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Lori Wilson

I have been on RCI and Carnival. I do not find much difference between the lines. I have had great and rotten service on both lines. Carnival has better food and entertainment IMHO. We just came off the Jewel of the Seas in November. The ship was beautiful, the food was hit or miss and the entertainment good, not great. Our next cruise is booked on Carnival the Spirit. I think you can have a great cruise on either line.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:19 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: Re: RCCL/ Why so special?

Jim,
I am wondering about your statement that Carnival has larger cabins? Do you know this for sure? Can you tell me a site that has that info for various lines and ships? Based on our limited experience, we found that RCCL (Rhapsody)and HAL (Statendam) had largest cabins with Carnival (Pride) coming in next, and Celebrity (Summit) the smallest. From what I have read and seen, it seems like Princess has some of the smallest of these lines?
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Admiral

JQ, yes I do know this for sure. I am talking about the 'standard cabin' and not talking about 'suites' The 'average' standard cabin with other cruiselines combined is 117 sq ft. I thi8nk RCI is standard about 142 sq ft. Carnival's 'standard' cabin is 185 sq ft. I have also sailed on a number of differant lines and CCL standard cabins are noticably larger.
Jim