Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Port Canaveral vs Tampa

How is Port Canaveral vs Tampa?

Parking?

Terminal?

Customer Service?

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Port Canaveral vs Tampa

I have been to both a couple of times and like Canaveral better. Easy exit off I-95 and a short drive on a 4-lane road to the dock area. Less traffic than the Tampa area to contend with. If you are going on the Glory, there is a covered parking structure across the street. The last time there, we parked on the lower level, right near the front and rolled our bags over to the ship.
If you are going on the Fantasy, it docks in a different area and has plenty of parking near the ship, but is not covered.
Best I remember parking was $ 10. per day payable at the time of parking, in cash or credit card.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
imabeans

Also if you are not from florida and have to fly you may want to consider which airport you would rather fly into. We live equal distances from both Tampa and Orlando airports, and we like Orlando much better.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Admiral

I prefer Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach because I grew up there but I also find it easy to get to. If you drive and arrive the day before, there are a few hotels that have park and cruise packages. The customer serivce at the port was fantastic.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:36 AM
bjkeen

Port Canaveral is out by itself. Since the last time I cruised the improvements to the parking lot should be finished. The terminal at Port Canaveral is a good walk from the parking lot. Although you can have someone with you drop you off closer to the terminal and they can park the vehicle.

Tampa - The parking garage is directly across the street from the cruise terminal.

Price - Same

Tampa is closer to more activities if you are planning to stay longer than just going on the cruise.

Both parking areas have security, so I usually feel safe about leaving my vehicle there.

I don't know I have sailed out of both ports and I like them both.
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Admiral

If you're flying in I'd much prefer Tampa because the distance from the airport to the port is only about 2 or 3 miles in Tampa, but much, much further to Port Canaveral from Orlando. As someone else stated, if you're looking for things to do, or see before or after sailing, once again, Tampa might be better, as Port Canaveral is in the middle of nowhere, and of course Tampa is a big city. Costs are the same for parking, and security about the same as well. Both ports are very, very good when compared to Miami, and IMO Ft Lauderdale is about in the middle (but has lots of ships and lots of options).
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM
imabeans

I agree, while I prefer the Orlando airport, there is a nice drive to the port.