Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Jeff Michigan

Default CCL vs RCCL explanation

The reason I posed the question," What is so special about RCCL?" is that from a perception standpoint many people feel that Carnival is an inferior cruise line. I don't feel that way. In fact , I have been on numerous Carnival ships and enjoyed each one. I have some relatives that say they wouldn't ever go on the Carnival Line.

In fact, two summers ago, I went on the "PREMIUM" Line HAL Zuiderdam. Although the food was a little better, I never felt entertained and I truly enjoyed Carnival more. I also noticed that on the Longer Carnival sailings i.e 8 day Legend, there was a wide range of age groups / from 20's to seniors. This makes for a great cruise experience in my opinion
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: CCL vs RCCL explanation

Some people don't want to have fun on their vacations. They want to sit under a tree with a book. Most Carnival guests, from what I've seen, are the more adventerous types. They don't call em' Fun Ships for nothin' !!

I've never sailed with RCCL but I get the impression that there are a big number of seniors and boring shows.

103 days till I sail on the Conquest . . .again!
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Talk about a false impression! That you could say that about RCCL is unbelievable - try a RCCL cruise before dissing it............all the Carnival folks say the same thing when someone disses Carnival! At least I've done two Carnival cruises..........you've done 0 RCCL. I don't like to sit under a tree and read.....I totally enjoy my RCCL, Princess and Celebrity cruises - I am not bored to death, I have fun, make friends, drink, dance, eat and be merry and take shore excursions and enjoy the spa and pools. Does that make me a person who doesn't like to have "fun"?

Old January 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Admiral

HappyCruiser, that is so wrong!!! We did our first RCI cruise last September and had a blast. We had a table for 12, 6 couples from 5 states ranging from 24 to 56. We did excursions, shows, games (our team almost won 2 of them), karoke, disco, miniture golf, roller blade, bingo, both supper clubs, drank and partied together AND we still keep in touch with each other. The shows were fantastic as were the comedians. The adult games Quest and Whats My Line were hysterical!! We had 2 extra (FREE) days at sea because of Hurricane Frances and RCI managed to come up with NEW entertainment for both days and nights that we truly enjoyed. We also got free internet and phone calls to keep in touch with our families, work and make alternate travel plans. I do remember one "senior" couple around 75 y/o...struting down the promonade, she in a mini shirt wearing a hat with a wedding veil all week long. They just got married! The "seniors" like to party just as much as anyone! Try one before judging. Can't wait to try another again.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
TonyO

I too have been on two RCCL and couldn't have been more pleased. We just did the Enchantment of the Seas last summer, and it was awsome from top to bottom. Entertainment was fantastic and the food just as good. There is something for everyboday. You can "sit under a tree and read", or join in the belly flop contest at poolside!
But I can understand the reservations. We have our first Carnival cruise on the Immagination scheduled this coming June and are a bit tentative since we had such good experiences on RCCL. Afraid we will be disapointed since I have read good and bad reviews. So it can go both ways. I just hope our Carnival Cruise is nearly as good as our RCCL cruises have been!
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Admiral

TonyO, I'm sure you will have a great time. Just remember she is 10 years old and won't compare to the newer ships in various ways. She was refurbished 5 years ago. We have done 2 of the ships in same class, Inspiration and Elation and enjoyed both. I wish I was going! Any day on a cruise is a good day. Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Dixie Lee

Happy Cruiser must be trying to get a rise out of RCCL fans - should have known better than start us on this subject! (!) DH and I are both 48 - hardly seniors - we take a book with us on our cruises with the intention of relaxing and reading but have yet to do that on ANY cruise we have been on. Have sailed both CCL and RCCL - at least we can say that we prefer RCCL after making a first-hand comparison ourselves by sailing on both cruiselines. I guess what irritates me are the negatory comments by people who have never tried another cruiseline. We sail in May on HAL - we LOVE RCCL, we are OK with CCL, but we still want to try a different cruise experience. By the way, how can you say that Carnival guests are more adventerous when you haven't sailed on any other cruiseline?
Wake up and smell the coffee!
Dixie
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM
sailgirl

Our family of 5 have cruised once on RCCL and CCl. Both cruises were great. We had lots of fun. My teenage daughters felt there was more fun activities on RCCL. We would all be game to go back on either one.
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Happy Camper

We have sailed both - 6 on RCL and 11 on Carnival. We prefer Carnival mainly for the price, size of cabins, and the ship layout where there are more open decks without green glass.... BUT RCL is more elegant and has a better pool - except of course I love the slide on Carnival.... They really are so different and so it is apples to oranges. I like both and will sail either depending on price and ports... Debbie
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Yeoman

Ditto Happy Camper..
Been on Carnival numberous times, Disney and just returned from the Mariner with RCCL. Our latest Carnival was on the Pride which is a newer ship. You can't compare an old Carnival ship to a newer RCCL.
I couldn't say I really liked one more than another. Both were fun and very nice ships. We actually liked the entertainment on Carnivals Pride much better. There were things we liked about each one. I think you get a lot for your money with Carnival.
Being on the newer ships though, I personally couldn't go back to an older one.
Everyone has their dislikes and likes. What one would love about one ship another may hate. So everyone is different. You can't really compare if you haven't been on both.
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Happy Cruiser, you've been misinformed about RCI. I have been on both Carnival (Triumph) and RCI (Explorer of the Seas) and I would say they are both equally fun and exciting cruise lines. There are probably just as many seniors on RCI as there is on Carnival and the shows are not boring. My attitude about cruising is "judge for yourself". I've read negative reviews about all the cruise lines, particularly Carnival (thal line seems to get blasted more than any other), but if I listened to all those negative reviews I would never go anywhere! It's important to remember that everyone's taste is different and what one person thinks is awful anthother person might think is wonderful. This is why I say you should judge for yourself. I took a chance and went on Carnival despite all the negative reviews I had read and I'm glad I did because I had a wonderful time. I would go on either Carnival or RCI again in a heartbeat. Take my advice and give RCI a try. If you don't take chances you will never know what you're missing.
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Happy Camper

One funny to add. I was posting to a board many years ago about an awesome cruise I had on RCL Sovereign - back when it was doing 7 day Eastern Caribbean routes and another person was posting about a horrible cruise on the Sovereign. We compared notes and we had been on the same cruise!!!! hahaha... It really is up to the individual. Debbie
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:36 PM
jan higgins

We went of the Mariner or the Seas and loved it. Now considering the Carinval Conquest or Glory. Anyone done both these cruises and can give a comparison.