Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM
gatorclaw

Default Carnival's "Beyond the Sea" commericals. Thumbs up

Hey, what do you guys think of the new Carnival commercials? (you can view them from their website, if you haven't seen them yet).

Overall, the look of the commericals is dynamite. The concept is perfect (million ways to have fun w/ the epic camera pullback to reveal all the mini photos making up a huge picture). That's the complement I'll give it.

However, I think they made a complete misjudgement with the song choice. Unless, the commercials are catering to only middle age or older people, who will possibly get 'excited' about a jazz tune? I mean, put me to sleep for crying out loud.

By way of comparison, Royal Caribbean "Lust for Life" commercials are so much more energetic, and it's all about song choice.

If the 'older' demo is what Carnival is looking for then fine, but if they think it's going to get 20 somethings excited about cruising they're sadly mistaken.

Anyone else care to chime in on this?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:55 PM
cajuncrab

Default Re: Carnival's "Beyond the Sea" commericals. Thumb

Well, I like the commercial. As far as the song, I guess I am odd because it's not that bad. I do like jazz though. I'm 26 and I listen to everything from Elvis to Eminem. I looked at three different commercials on the website and it seems that they are trying to appeal to families, and people in thier mid 30s to those that are retired. I guess as i type this and really start thinking, I realize that with the choice of song you are right, to appeal to teens and those in thier early to mid 20s they need to do another commercial with a more up-beat, party song. They are known as the party ships. Of course, even though I do enjoy an occasional jazz tune now and then that doesn't mean I don't like to party. I did get pretty um....well....highly intoxicated new year's day on bourbon street.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe it's just me, but I've never booked a cruise because of a commercial or choice of songs within a commercial. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see a commercial about cruising than one of the many out there about bodily functions; I just find them all to be quite generic and similar. I'm sure they're not geared towards veteran cruisers like myself but rather towards newbies. I'd rather see them save the millions on advertising and either improve the product or lower the rates.

Grandeur of the Seas
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM
venice

sine the movie about Bobby Darin is coming out there might be a marketing tie in
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:30 AM
First Mate

1) there is a movie out right now called "Beyond the Sea" which is about the relationship of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee...perhaps they are piggy backing on that.

2) Also, perhaps they are trying to appeal to a bit older demographic...we "older" (40's) tend to spend more money than the younger set.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I like any commercial about cruises, they get me "excited" about our next trip. I even liked the new Tums commercial where the guy is on deck complaining of heartburn and another couple offers him advice and some Tums. Makes me remember that yes you do eat to much, and you do meet new people on the ship. I know, it's sad isn't it, but it has been a long winter here and I'm ready to GO CRUISIN! Happy Sailing
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

I love the song in the new carnival commericals and I am only 23. I think it is a very classy and catchy tune. Sure the Royal Caribbean "Lust for life" is way more energetic but I think this jazz style song make Carnival look a little more elegant and romantic.

Once again though I wouldn't buy a cruise based on a commercial alone.
Old January 7th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Admiral

I suspect Carnival is trying for a little more of an upscale imagine. They continue to be plagued by the "Carnival-the-drunken-party-ship" myth. Of course it is not, but perhaps they are now beginning to emphasize the "cruise for everyone" idea.

I liked the commercials, but then, I would probably like ANY of the commercials because it reminds me of how much I love cruising!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM
gatorclaw

Ok. Good point about trying to attract the older demo and get away from the 'party cruise line' mentality people have. Maybe I was too hard on it. I'm sure they know exactly what they're doing.
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:58 PM
jim & lolita

It's better than the old Kathie Lee commercials. About the only commercial on TV that I truly enjoy is the guys dancing in the office to the boombox music. I can't help myself.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love the song and I am 18. We book a cruise cause we love it to much to judge it by a commercial. I have never sailed on RCCL but when I see a commercial from them I still fell like dancing. Any commercial that involves vacation makes me happy. I love the new commericial. The only thing strange to me is in the press release of the new ads I think they said 4 commercials and only 3 are playing.
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Passenger

I LOVE THE NEW CARNIVAL COMMERICALS!!!!At the end its really neat how all the pictures of the ppl change into the ship..WOW!

I am not to crazy about a RCL commerical...but i agree with Daneen..I like every cruise commerical because it gets me ready for my next cruise!!

RCL Rhapsody
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Celebration
Carnival Elation 7-18-2004
Carnival Ecstasy
11-11-2004
Carnival Ecstasy
3-7-2005!!
Grand Princess
12-17-2005!!
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
First Mate

I like it but I like cruising and the song.
Old January 8th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Love it!!!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

Does anyone know who is singing it in Carnival's version. It is clearly not Bobby Darin
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Admiral

It's a refreshing chance from what we've been seeing lately. I'll book Carnival in a minute, just so I can hear the commercial some more!!
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival's "Beyond the Sea" commercials. Thumb

I will say that I prefer it to the RCI "Lust for Life" commercials. Which I associate to "cruising on speed".

I am an old guy (47) who listens to everything from Dean Martin to Judas Priest (Electric Eye is excellent). I agree that Carnival is trying to cater to a different demographic than the funship crowd with this round of advertising. I think this is just one bullet in their advertising gun and I don't think they are about to abandon their "funship" image.

I also think it is an interesting coincidence that the commercials came out at about the same time as the Kevin Spacey bio-pic of Bobby Darrin, "Beyond the Sea".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 9th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs up for me!

Makes me even more anxious for our Valor cruise in May!
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Crusingbears

Really different. We like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Valor 4/10/05 YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
gatorclaw

Ok OK! I submit. Enough. I guess everyone really loves the new commercials.

Even though I came down on it, I have been singing the song to myself over the last week.

Can't wait for March 6.... The Valor is awaiting.
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Cruisingrandma

Default Re: Re: Carnival's "Beyond the Sea" commericals. T

I couldnt have said it better myself. I get so excited to see any of the Carnival commercials. Just want to go now!!!!!!!
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree with those that like the commercial. I always get very excited when I see a cruising commercial, no matter which line it is for. These latest commercials though from Carnival are the best to me. Very simple reason, I am going on the Victory this October, so imagine how great it is to see the Victory in the commercial.

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I love the commercials , except I think the 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' commercials were more fitting for Carnival. But if they are trying to shed the 'party ship' reputation
these commercials might help.

PS......I LOVE CARNIVAL ..... and I will always cruise with Carnival no matter what
commerical music they use , I am already hooked.

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I like it.

Old January 10th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

here's my opinion and just my opinion (BG)--I think the new commercials are very classy! and like the poster above hopefully it will shed "the party ship" image. (at least I hope the ship isn't that much of a "party ship". We can't wait for Conquest in Aug.

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Don't feel bad Gatorclaw. Judging from those amazing videos you posted awhile back, I suspect you have more of a critical video eye than most of us! Truly, the commericals just tickle my cruising fancy - it probably wouldn't matter WHAT they did!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:54 AM
gatorclaw

He he. Dorothy, thanks for remembering my video. I really appreciate your kind words.

and even though I was a little hard on it, I will be using "Beyond the Sea" in my upcoming video (Valor 03/06/05).

In case anyone wants to watch the video Dorothy mentioned check it out!
www.gatorclaw.com/sevendays
Warning: it may get you excited about your own up coming cruise!
Old January 15th, 2005, 01:34 AM
singingcruiser

Oh my. I've seen fewer threads about people that have a comment, positive, negative or otherwise about their recent or future cruise. Can a commercial truly stir up this much emotion? Or is it a good off-beat subject to comment on. I think maybe it's the latter. I do know one thing: 40 year olds generally have more money, and many of them still like to party 'til they drop, and don't realize how stupid they look trying to play amidst the 20 year olds. I know....cuz I'm in the 40's group and am just getting my second wind. Always happy to get a little breeze in the sails. Ready for next cruise: Paradise 2/28. Then the Conquest 1/1/06 (with New Orleans for New Years...who can beat that?) It's good to feel young.....which is basically the point of the commercial.
Old January 16th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Passenger

I'm 20 and I love that song. Everytime the commercials come on, I start singing along I get excited about my cruise just watching the commercials and it's almost a year away!! I'm quite sure that my roommate, friends and family members not going on the cruise will be tired of me by the time I leave!

Carnival Inspiration