Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:30 AM
OhioT's

Default Back from Conquest Last Night (1/9) - Long Review

Just returned from the Conquest last night!! This was the first cruise for me, my husband and my kids, 10 year old boy and an almost 4 year old girl.

Embarkation:
We got to the parking lot about 11:30 am and had to take a bus from the parking lot to the pier/terminal. There was a freight train passing through so this took longer than normal. There was a lot of other traffic. Checked in and waited to take pictures and go through security. I would say this whole process took about 1 hour or so. Everything was organized, just a lot of people. We checked out our cabin and then went to the Lido deck for Lunch.

Our cabin number was 2404. I thought the cabin was perfect for us, the king size bed was comfortable and the bunks were big enough for me or my husband. The bathroom was small but not too small. I thought the pressure in the shower was great and better than most hotels. Cabin steward cleaned the room twice a day and did make sure we had water and ice. There was very little noise above us (Galley) and we could only hear our neighbors when they came home drunk and laughing at 4am. Our kids like to squeal, wrestle and jump on the bed at 7 am, so we didnít say anything.

The Food:
I thought the Lido deck buffet was OK. Nothing spectacular. The pizza was decent and I did have it for dinner one night. The grill was also decent. The best food was in the dining room and they did have a nice menu every night. Our waiter was wonderful and always brought pizza or something else for the kids, just in case. He also brought us an extra entrťe just to try.

The Drinks:
The drink special Carnival offers when you buy the glass and then get it refilled for $3 is a good idea if you like sweet tropical style drinks with almost no alcohol in them. The best way to know what you are getting is to order a drink with a call brand. I thought the free coffee was strong. The iced tea, lemonade and other free drinks were good.

Jamaica:
We went to Sunset Beach for the day. That was a nice place to spend a few hours. They do offer you unlimited food and drinks for $20 per adult. My husband always asked for extra rum in the drinks which they did for him gladly. The place was a little worn looking, the bathrooms were not clean. The food was decent, we had burgers and fries. The beach equipment was very worn and the life jackets were moldy.

Grand Cayman:
We decided to shop at this port and took the stroller, just in case my daughter became tired. Big mistake, donít take the stroller in to Grand Cayman, there are lots of stairs and itís very crowded with people and automobiles. We had lunch at this little restaurant on the beach down a little ways from the piers (Carnival recommends this place but I forgot the name). It had outside seating and seemed like a nice little place. My husband and I each had the special of Coconut Shrimp, my son had a chicken sandwich and my daughter had a hamburger. I had one drink and everyone else had soda. We shared chips and salsa as an appetizer. The reason I tell you this is because the bill was $75 before tip!! I thought this was an outrageous amount for lunch, about double what we would normally spend at a restaurant for lunch. Anyway, their menu is in Cayman Dollars and when we looked at it we thought how much of a difference can it be? Oh wellÖ.

Cozumel:
We went to Playa Mia for a day on the beach. This resort was very nice compared to the Sunset Beach in Jamaica. It was very clean and lots to do. They have the water trampoline and the iceberg. The water is very clear and the beach is clean. You can rent umbrellas and they have those blue raft/floats for everyone and they also have these beach lounge chairs for everyone, which is nice. We had the buffet which was ok, not a big selection. I was nervous about eating the food, but it didnít make us sick. Next time I would probably order from the menu or go to their grill. Everything was going great until the party boat arrived and about 200 people got off and then it became crowded and not so pleasant. They were only there for 2 hours and then left and it was nice again. On the way in we were approached to buy stuff and while on the beach we were approached, but they seemed to take no for an answer and move on.

The Spa:
I had a pedicure and a full body massage, both were nice, they do try to sell you their products. The pedicure was $25, but very basic. The massage was $125 I think and was worth it.

Camp Carnival:
My 10 year old went a few times and they had an overnight party for them on Friday night, he had a blast.

My almost 4 year old went three times. We took her after dinner and picked her up at 10pm. She loved it as well!

Shows:
My son saw the magic show onboard and LOVED IT, he thought it was better than the Blue Man Group which has been his favorite show until now!

My son and husband went to the juggling/ventriloquist act and thought it was wonderful as well.

Things I would do differently:
Eat in the dining room more often for lunch and breakfast, the food was much better.
Dress up for formal night Ė we didnít and it seemed like we were the only ones. The first formal night was much more popular than the second.

Things I would do again:
We felt very little motion in our cabin, so I would get a main deck middle of ship cabin again.

One thing I forgot to mention about disembarkation, especially if you are taking the bus back to the blue lot, watch the guys put your luggage under the bus and make sure it stays there. We saw them throwing luggage off and we also saw people looking for luggage after they were dropped off at the parking lot and having to return to the terminal. The whole disembarkation process took about 1 hour from them calling our tag color to getting to the car. We were the 3rd tag color called, I think being called after the point would probably be more chaotic.

I canít think of anything else, but please let me know if you have questions. I have to say Iím not sure I would do a cruise again, mainly because I didnít like being out in the middle of nowhere. That was a weird feeling for me. Carnival was wonderful, I think they do an amazing job of keeping the ship clean and tending to your needs. The employees really do try and work very hard. I would recommend the Conquest for families or anyone else!! There was a huge mix of people, families, singles, disabled, and seniors.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Back from Conquest Last Night (1/9) - Long Review

You did a great job on your review OhioT..we just sailed the Conquest on Dec 5th and while we had a Great Time. I am sorry you did not enjoy it as much as we did. I wish you had went on the stingray sandbar excursion..I think you would have really enjoyed it. I cant belive the price you guys paid for lunch. We did not eat on the island, I had no idea it was that high. I hope you try cruising again someday. They are all a little different.

Old January 10th, 2005, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

Great review, my friend and I are off on the Conquest this Sunday 1-16-05. It is our first time cruising.

We plan to do sunset beach in Jamaica, and Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman.

What are some good things to do in Cozumel?
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the review. My husband and I are off on the Paradise 2/14 but are planning on taking the kids (wil be 4 and 15) in June of 2006. Great advice on the stroller. Was the stroller overall not a good idea to bring or did you use it other places, as well as on the ship?

Mary
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Good review OhioT - don't forget to post it in the readers reviews section of the board.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
OhioT's

Default Re: Re: Back from Conquest Last Night (1/9) - Long Review

In regards to the stroller, I probably would not have brought it had I known how difficult it is to get around. The elevators are slow and unless you want to carry it up and down stairs, then I'd leave it at home. I brought the stroller hoping that my daughter would do more sleeping in it and we could walk around, but this only happend once. She was too worked up most of the time. I have a bigger umbrella style stroller that allows her to lay down, so it was more cumbersome than a regular umbrella stroller. Grand Cayman is just too small and crowded. It would have been fine in Montego Bay and Cozumel....but remember, you have to take it on the bus or taxi with you.

In regards to Cozumel, we wanted to take the Tropical Safari 4 X 4 where you ride Jeeps around and have fun...but the excursion coordinator thought it would be too uncomfortable for my little daughter and dangerous since the jeeps are open. We did see them leaving the pier and it looked like fun, but he was right, it would have been too risky. Cozumel also has the dolphin experience, nobody wanted to do this with me so we skipped it. The party boat that came to Playa Mia looked like fun for the single, childless people. It had loud music and an open bar. There are also various other snorkel tours, and other jeep tours. I heard the Paradise Island excursion was fun.

I kept all my Carnival Capers and excursion info, if you want me to fax it over, email your fax number to me at monica@bluemoonspices.com and I'd be happy to send you whatever you want. I don't have prices though, just information.
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:24 PM
cali-croozer

Can you tell us more about Playa Mia? Did you take a taxi over and how much did it cost? Was there an admission fee to the beach? How much did it cost to rent an umbrella? Chairs for rent? Cost to use the water tramp and iceberg? Any other details or tips........

Thanx
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:29 PM
OhioT's

Playa Mia:

Taxi ride $14.00 each way
Admission was about $36.00 (my husband doesn't remember because it was in pesos, he said about 300ish pesos, there were four of us, but my daughter got in for free, so the $36 was for the three of us, two adults and one child)
Buffet was $10 for adults and $5.00 for kids, they do have a grill with burgers and a menu to order from
Umbrella was $4
The trampoline and iceberg were free
The blue water mats and beach chairs were free
Peddal boats were free
I had one beer for $3.00
Massage was $75/hour (I didn't get one but noticed the price)
Banana boat ride was $12 (again, I didn't participate, but noticed the price)
They did offer hair braiding, uncertified scuba diving, parasailing but I didn't notice the price on those.
When you arrive a man will come over and wipe off the beach chairs for you, I tipped him $1
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:37 PM
cali-croozer

Thank you for the details! Not inexpensive, but sounds like a nice place.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Admiral

We went to this beach and booked it through the ship..29.00 per person and that includes all you can drink while at the beach.

Old January 11th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Yeoman

Ohio T,
Sounds like you had a wonderful time . Thanks for the review . You did a great job too.
I must ask you, would you cruise again on the Conquest ?

Rob,
There is alot to do in Cozumel ! You have the Turtle farm, City of Hell, Dolphin Encounter and Swim Tour( worth every dime ), and ect. Go to Carnival.com and view the list of excursions for Cozumel .
If you get hungry, go by Fat Tuesday's and get you a Nacho Fajita w/ Chicken or Beef. Don't forget to get you one of there great drinks too. There called a " Attitude Adjustment"
The glass makes a great keep sake also.

Happy Cruising To All;
David
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
OhioT's

Yes I would cruise on the Conquest again!! The only thing I really didn't like is being out in the middle of nowhere, it's my own anxiety that would prevent me from cruising again, nothing about Carnival or the Conquest. In fact, if I did cruise again with my kids I would definately choose a Carnival Fun Ship. If I cruised without the kids, I'd probably go for something more upscale.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

David W.

You are confusing Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman has the Turtle Farm and Hell not Cozumel.

Cozumel has the dolphin encounter.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Yeoman

Opps ! Sorry about that ! Guess I got a one track mind ! I got to remembering how good Fat Tuesday's really was ! !
Thanks for catching that !

Happy Cruising all;
david