Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Beginner

Default Just off Sensation -- Carnival policy on entrees???

Hello all!

I just returned from the 4-day Sensation cruise to Cozumel today. My husband and I were with a group of 3 other couples. We cruised to Cozumel last year on the Holiday, had a ball, and wanted to try the Sensation.

We had to change our dinner times because the group was not given the same table even though we requested. We did get a table altogether but had to change to the late seating. Okay, we were happy that we were all at the same table.

We were assigned to the Ecstacy Dining Room. Our waitress was NOT friendly at all. We found this extremely disappointing because our waiter last year was extremely friendly. We also saw other waiters/waittress this year laughing and entertaining their guests.

Our waitress was very curt and to the point. We asked to try an extra entree' and was told that we could only get one entree at a time because it was a Carnival policy. I instantly thought she was being a tough Mom.....you have to eat your first meal before you can get another one! I thought that maybe that was a change because last year our waiter brought us extras all the time so we could try other items. I just read on another message that someone else waiter on another ship did bring extra entrees with the others.

So was she just being ugly with us or is this some new policy???? We weren't each asking for extra entrees, just one for the whole table.

We did enjoy the food overall, though. We were just disappointed with the service, particularly after having so much fun with our waiter last year.

My husband and I also were disappointed with our steward. When we first got on the ship, our room smelled like cigarette smoke and we actually saw cigarette ashes on the window sill of our ocean view window!!! YUCK!!!! Thank goodness I brought disinfectant wipes and lavender spray. The other couples in our party were on the other side of the ship and so had a different steward. Their steward met them the first day and called them each by name. Our steward didn't come by until the afternoon of the second day. And one day the bed was made, but the top sheet was all bunched down by the foot of the bed!

Overall we did have a great time on the cruise mainly because we knew other couples and still enjoyed ourselves. I was somewhat disappointed with the service, but I wouldn't say that it was poor throughout the ship. We just seemed to find two folks who did not exceed our expectations. I did indicate our disatisfaction on the comment card.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
sls

Default Re: Just off Sensation -- Carnival policy on entrees???

We had the same experience on the Sensation, only one entree at a time. Just back from the Destiny and they begged me to have more than one entree. I'm a fast eater so when I was done before everyone else they would suggest something else.

sls
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:40 PM
cajuncrab

Hi,
I doubt Carnival has a new policy regarding dinner. I think they know that all of thier cruisers love the fact that on a ship you can get what you want when you want it. On the Conquest last summer our waiters were awesome. They kept us laughing every night during dinner and even when we didn't ask for extras, they would stop by our table with something and say "here try this." And when we were half way finishec with anything - salad, bread, appetizer, entree or iced tea they would ask us if wanted more or something different. One night they brought us almost every dessert on the menu. And we never ate breakfast in the dining room, we ate at the buffet. But the last two mornings, we decided to be different finally. Our waiter saw us coming and came to greet us. He brought us to the back of the dining room so we could sit alone in front of the big window. He called it the honeymoon table. They were not really serving in that area of the dining room yet - they were trying to fill in the front areas first. Yes, our waiters were GREAT!

I can sympathize on the room cleanliness though, but unlike you, I neglected the comment card. I should not have done that though. When we arrived, we found a cigar on the bottom of the night stand, and some used panty hose in the closet.

Other than that, the cruise was fantastic.
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Sounds like you were unfortunate to get both a poor waitress AND a poor steward. They do indeed effect your enjoyment of the cruise so I am glad to see that you still managed to enjoy yourself and get past this. You did correct by noting these discrepencies on your comment card and it will be brought up to them an the Maitre D' will undoubtly demand an explaination. What you can do if this ever happens again is immediately notify the Maitre D' that your waitress is unsatisfactory and surley towards you and your tablemates and I can gty you the attitude will immediately change or you will have another waiter. Same for the steward, let the Hotel Director know and the situation will be corrected. They really do take any complaints seriously when placed in a reasonable and calm manner.
Jim

Old January 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to mojo2rusty Send a message via Yahoo to mojo2rusty

We were on the Conquest in December and had a wonderful Watriss. and assistant. At times I even wondered if they had other tables because they made you feel like they had your undivided attention. They were so intertaining and keep us in stitches each night. I actually looked forward to dinner to see what they had up their sleeves next. They gladly brought more of anything you ask for and brought stuff for everyone to share and try. We had the same dining experience on the Triumph in 2002.
As for the room steward, we only saw her a couple of times. One time we were walking down the hall to our room and she went to the door and had it opened by the time we got there. Guess she was trying to make up for the lack of attention to the room. Not that it was bad or dirty, but anything that had been left on the bed when you left was just dumped into the chair in the room.
But none of it had any major inpact in my cruise experience. they were both wonderful and can't wait to go again.
Sorry your you had a less than fun experience.

Carnival Triumph Dec 2002
Carnival Conquest Dec. 05, 2004
Old January 10th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I might add that not only should you report and comment on those that do not do their job to your satisfaction, please report those that do their job well and insure that they get the proper credit from their supervisors!
Jim

Old January 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
jim & lolita

We're bringing bungee cords and extension cords, but we did not think of lavender spray and disinfectant wipes. Thanks for the tip.