Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Yeoman

Default Walk from French Quarters to ship?

Is it crazy to plan to walk from the French Quarters to the ship with our luggage? Luggage is on wheels and we plan to walk everywhere else (30 something and healthy).

The last time we went on this cruise, the ship sailed out of Gulf Port, MS. We didn't need to worry about it then.

Holiday May 2000
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Walk from French Quarters to ship?

Happy, our first cruise was out of Tampa and one of our ports was New Orleans and that was when I was 7 years younger. In New Orleans we got off the ship and walked to the French Quarters. It was a cold and windy day. It is quite a walk and to be dragging luggage around would definately be a drag (pun intended). The Frech Quarters get very crowded and there is almost a carnival atmosphere going on what with the Mimes, Fortune Tellers and all setting up aroung the Square. Let me just say this, I'm glad I didn't even carry a purse with me that day. Hope you have a good time.
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:41 PM
venice

you can do it but the problem is the streets are horrible and uneven so you would probably break your wheels or your heels
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
BoomPow

I would definately NOT want to be dragging luggage around Nawlins and especially not that trek from the ship to the Quarter! You are better off to spend the few dollars and get a cab.
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:55 PM
cali-croozer

What about a hotel near the Convention Center..........Hampton Inn and Suites.......can you walk from there? Thx
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Walk from French Quarters to ship?

I am leaving from NOLA in 12 days and driving in. I did a little checking around and found that the Holiday Inn Superdome was a block or so from the French Quarter and was about a mile from the port. They offer parking at $5.00 a day and a shuttle to drop you and your bags at the port. They have gotten pretty good reviews from Tripadvisor and it has a lot of amenities. The room itself was only $99.00 a night (Cruise Special), which is a steal at Mardi Gras time for a decent Hotel Room.
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Happy, I guess I misunderstood your question. You are staying in New Orleans and leaving from there? Yeh, it wouldn't be to bad to drag your luggage to the ship but for the price of a cab, I'd opt for the ride, as Venice states the trek is a little rough what with all the curbs and street crossings. Hope you have a nice time, the French Quarters are interesting to say the least. Happy Sailing
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, Grab a cab, it shouldn't cost much since it isn't far and you will save the wear/tear and aggravation.
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

.....we walked from the ship to French Q , with NO luggage, and
walked around sight seeing.....by the time we were walking back...
I was so tired and so was my friend. We ended up hitching a ride with a guy that was driving a luggage carrier around down by the port. I guess he felt sorry for us.

I normally would never "hitchhike" , but it was a port employee , and there were 2 of us...so we felt pretty safe. He was very nice and dropped us off right at the entrance.

I am in much better shape now , and I know I could walk the distance now....but I would never do it with luggage, I would be cranky by the time I got to the ship, and that is NO WAY to start a vacation.

eitherway -- have a great time.

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
lamom

As a native New Orleanian, I would not recommend walking from the French Quarter to the port. First, it is a long walk, with or without luggage. In addition, as another poster noted, the sidewalks are not all smooth and it will not be easy. You will not have to worry about Mardi Gras, it is early this year, February 8th. If you do decide to walk, I would suggest you walk along the Moonwalk, pass the Aquariam to the Riverwalk. Do not walk along the regular city streets. The traffic will be difficult to manuver.
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Yeoman

Thank you all for your advice! I remember walking along the area in front of the Aquarium but it was a liesurley stoll without luggage. It sounds like I'd be better off grabbing a taxi.

You're right Wakedreams, I don't want to start my vacation off grouchy.

Holiday May 2000