Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Familiar Face

Default Chicago Midway Departures

Has anyone out there flown ATA out of Chicago to San Juan ? ATA says we need to check in at the ticket counter 2 hours prior to departure. Departure being 6:30AM means checking in at 4:30 am . Not a problem however, I'm not sure if the ticket counter is open that early ?
Also, most airlines let you use the kiosk to checkin with eTickets however ATA had something about using the kiosks only if you had NO baggage.. Trying to contact an ATA rep -at the airport- has proven impossible . Has anyone had personal experience and would be able to answer my questions ? Thanks ! 38 days till Destiny !
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM
ClubORD

Default Re: Chicago Midway Departures

I think the 2 hour rule is crazy EXCEPT for the holiday season which has gone by recently. I am an airline pilot, not for ATA, and travel through MDW every once in a while and would show at the ticket counter between 515 - 530. MDW is an airport used by mostly leasure(sp?) travellers and the flights tend to leave a bit later than the business preferred flights out of ORD so you will beat the big 700 - 900 rush at the security lines.

Also be sure to check the weather anticipated when you leave. Many times flights will not be cancelled until the morning of due to fluctuations in the weather forecasts and actual arrival of an approaching snowstorm. The weather is not the airlines fault and will not compensate you if you do not arrive in time. If the weather looks a bit shady it may be worth your while to explain to the airline how you are concerned about getting to your destination in time, and ask to fly stand-by the night before just in case.

Hope it helps.
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Chicago Midway Departures

I agree the 2 hours is excessive however I'm still looking for anyone who experienced Midway and ATA who may have other answers.
Thanks though for your input -specially the stand-by thought !