Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Jeff K.

Default New Orleans Parking

Is the parking at the port in NO convenient? Can you walk to the terminal from the parking lot? Could I drop off passengers and baggage then walk and meet up with the rest of my party? Is driving yourself to the port congested and time consuming? Any other tips about No will be apprecaited. We are sailing with a party of 7 and looking to make embarkation simple.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: New Orleans Parking

I hadn't been to N.O. since the construction began. But yes, you can drive up to the terminal, let off your passengers, (family) and then go park right there at the terminal. I usually park under the bridge if I can. After you park, you can walk over to the terminal and rejoin your friends and family.
If you get there the night before, there are some motels close to the terminal, that has cruise specials, so you can leave your automobile there at the motel. The Motel takes you to the terminal, and pick you up after the cruise. Hopefully someone here can give you the names of the Motels.
Your going to have heavy traffic there at the terminal, no doubt ! You have 3000 people coming off, and 3000 people going on.Just take your time,and you'll be fine.
We usually get there around 11-11.30 am Sunday Morning. Go through the process, board, and usually eating lunch by 1.00 - 1.30.
Your going to love the Conquest. She's a huge, beautiful ship !

Happy Sailing;
david
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the word. I'm minus 12 weeks and counting until that parking nightmare. I'll get to NOLA on Saturday, and sail on Monday. I plan to spend Sunday reconnoitering parking around the terminal area--if the wife doesn't keep me down on Bourbon St for too long. Having never seen the Father of Waters, I'm more interested in the Riverwalk myself.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Jeff K.

Thanks for the info. Anybody have any more info on lodging and parking would be great.
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Yeoman

I stayed at the Ramada Limited in Metarie. They offered free shuttles to the french quarters and the airport. We're staying there again in April. There was also a K-mart (or was that Wal-mart?) right behind it in walking distance. Nice quiet area. If you were to park your car there for a week, I don't think anybody would notice.

We're cheapo's! We'll take the FREE shuttle to the french quarters then take a taxi to the port. hee hee

Holiday May 2000
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: New Orleans Parking

There's a lot of construction going on at the New Orleans port. The entire parking lot was torn up on Monday (1/10) when we arrived back on the Sensation. It was a little crazy.

Last January when we cruised there wasn't construction. My husband parked at a covered lot a few blocks away. It was a pain to go back and get the car (waiting in line at the parking garage), then waiting in line to pick us up at the terminal.

If you could find a way to park at another location and take a taxi to the terminal, I would encourage you to do that.

Depending on when you go, you also need to keep in mind that Mardi Gras if Feb. 8. But there are parades in and around downtown New Orleans beginning Jan. 22. As a native, it's tough to navigate with parade traffic. I can't imagine getting around as a tourist!

Metairie or Kenner is a good alternative to staying in downtown if you want to save a few dollars. There are hotels near the port.

Good luck!
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM
OhioT's

We just returned last Sunday on the Conquest. We parked in the Blue Lot, there is a sign that says "Official Cruise Parking" they bus you to the terminal. We arrived a little after 11:00 and the lot was pretty empty, in fact we had planned to just look around and then come back but we saw people getting out of their cars and getting ready to load on the bus so we just parked.

Anyway, they have people there who will help with your luggage and then you wait for the bus. They load the luggage in to moving vans and you get on a large coach style bus. We sat in a lot of traffic because there were 2 freight trains holding everything up. We tried to drive up to the terminal, but a police officer wouldn't let us go, she gave us directions to the lot.

I think driving and dropping off luggage at the terminal would be more trouble than it's worth. It's very congested and there is only one street basically getting through and it's filled with shuttles, taxis and other large buses.

Returning, you have to claim your luggage first and then get yourself to the bus, there are porters there to help as well. Like I said before, make sure you see your luggage get on the bus and make sure it stays there or you will be going back to the terminal to find it. I did see them throwing bags off the bus.

PS We bought a roll of flourescent duct tape and covered our luggage in it so we could locate it in the terminal....which is a sea of black bags.
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Passenger

We are sailing the Conquest on 1/23 and booked a room at the Maison St Charles. They will let you keep your car there for $14 the first night and $5 for the remaining nights. Also included in the bon voyage package is a limo ride to the terminal. We are staying there Saturday night and the price is $89 plus the parking. Hope this helps. We heard they charge $12 a day to park at the pier.