Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Beginner

Default Cozumel/Grand Cayman and Beach

Hi- I am going on the inspiration of Feb 14. When I go to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, all I really want to do is go to the beach. Any suggestions? Should I do the excurssions that go to the beaches? OR should I just find a beach on my own? If I go to a beach on my own, what to I tell a taxi driver and do you know of any great places that I would love? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Cozumel/Grand Cayman and Beach

Cozumel and Grand Caymen are easy to do on your own.

For great snorkeling and a relaxing day in Cozumel, I would recommend Chankanaab park ($10-$12 taxi ride over) and about $12 pp for admission, snorkel equipment rental extra. There is sand to lay out on (lay down chairs under palapas), a rocky stair entrance to the water (that's why the snorkeling is so good), restaurant/bar, nature trail, replica mayan ruins, NO pushy vendors on the beach, a few small stores with good prices. For additional charge, there is mini-golf (about $2), and a dolphin encounter (you must reserve in advance) and sea lion show. We had a great day there, snorkeling and relaxing.

If you want more of a party atmosphere and don't care about snorkeling, other people have recommended a place called Paradise Beach. Admission and chairs are free, but they ask you to buy some food/drink. For $5pp, you can purchase a wristband for the water toys (trampoline, iceberg, floats, kayaks, snorkeling equipment)........$5 pp for unlimited use, although there may be a refundable deposit on some items.

As far as taxis, in Cozumel the prices are posted right at the taxi stands...they are per taxi, not per person. Just tell them where you want to go and confirm the posted price before getting in the taxi.

Grand Cayman is very safe and many people go to the 7-mile beach. I don't know what the situation is after the hurricane. Once you decide where you want to go, just ask the taxi driver to bring you there.

My suggestion........do more research before going so you know exactly where you want to spend your day. Check the destinations board, library books, GOOGLE.

Have a great cruise.
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:45 PM
southern T

Default Re: Cozumel/Grand Cayman and Beach

Just got back from Inspiration January 3 cruise.

Grand Cayman, your time is short. I would recommend a tour of the island. We went to the colony beach club which was fine, but nothing great. They suffered a ton of hurricane damage, especially to the Georgetown/7 Mile Beach stretch.

Cozumel, we did the Chankanaab Park thing and it was awesome. The sea was pretty choppy that day, and we still saw tons of fish. Its a very pretty place, and very close by taxis to the pier.

Absolutely, positively do dinner at Panchos Backyard. We were docked at Puerta Maya and ate at the one there, but there is the original one downtown. Very classy, not too expensive, think Chilis. But the food was awesome, get the chicken enchiladas with mole sauce, and the big margarita. You cant go wrong.

The shows on Inspiration were great, the food was hit and miss. The sushi bar was very good. So was the pizza. If you get Ian as a waiter tell him the couple from Orlando says hi. He is awesome.