Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Default upper berths - children

I am curious about the upper berths that will be in our cabin. Is there any kind of rail to prevent a child from falling out, especially if we should hit some rough water. I have seen posts from adults who have been thrown out of bed during their voyages and really don't want the kids airborne during the cruise. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM
lyndamr

Default Re: upper berths - children

The uppr births all have railings, do not worry about that, they are protected.
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

I can confirm that they have a railing as well. In addition anyone that gets tossed out of their bunk if highly unusual. The ships are just a bit steadier than that. <G>
Jim

Old January 16th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Thanks so much!!!!
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the additional input. I think I'll make a trip to Toys R' Us and see if they have a portable folding rail system that might work. I know someone makes this product. but since we'll be starting our precruise travel this Friday I'd better get with the program and come up with a solution. I am not too worried about my 4 year old son, as he stays put once he falls asleep and he sleeps in a loft bed and has never fallen out. But my 2 year old daughter is a different story. Since we moved her to a regular bed (which is very close to the ground) I often find her on the floor or with head, legs or arms hanging over the egde, half off the bed on a regular basis. So I will come up with some sort of plan. Sometimes it pays off to be a neurotic and paranoid mom. I'd rather worry a little now than have to deal with an injury that could have been avoided while on vacation.

Thanks!
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had 2 kids in the upper berths on the Paradise, and the railings were fine in my opinion, they would literally have to launch themselves up to go over it. I wouldn't waste the space you will lose in your luggage looking for some other railing system. If you are really frantic about it, maybe you could find a heavy netting of some sort (marine?) that you could attach to the railing and to the ceiling? Maybe with velcro? or those screw in hooks? Just trying to be creative, but really, all 3 of mine slept on those bunks on one day or another during 2 different cruises, and nobody ever fell.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Beginner

I'm wondering if you can take the mattress from the bunk and put it on the floor. Yes, it will take up walking space but might also give some piece of mind to a worried parent of a tot. Just a thought.

Old January 19th, 2005, 05:04 AM
BigCraig

If you know your child is a restless sleeper it would have been wiser to put the mattress on the floor or sleep on the sofa or if you are of normal weight switch with them, no law suit waiting to happen, just use common sense, we as parents in this country need to start taking responsibility for our actions and be held accountable for our actions.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Admiral

I was able to get a portable railing at Walmart. It is very compact and takes up very little space in the suitcase. I thought that I should get it just for my own peace of mind and if once we get there, if I am uncomfortable with her safety then we'll move sleeping arrangements around. Thanks to all of you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated and I know it will help us enjoy our trip and add peace of mind.
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

OK - I may be flamed for this, but if you are that concerned about your children falling out of an upper berth, why not put yourself and your DH in the upper berth and let the kids sleep in the lower ones? I have seen many posts about concern for kids in the upper berths, but no one has ever to my knowledge suggested this option as an answer.

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
MichelleM

Target has a collapible bed rail. It's made by Safety First (or something like that) and is under $20. It collapses flat for easy packing.

From another paranoid mom with a rolly child
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey you kid only has one head, better safe than sorry. If you will sleep better know your child is protected by a safety rail you are comfortable with then its well worth the space it takes up in the suitcase. Follow your instincts.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:38 AM
Admiral

I agree. If you're worried about your kid, why put them up there in the first place? If the kid does fall and gets injured, you would know that the risk was there before. Just because the cruiselines say it's safe for YOUR kid doesn't make it so....

Hope all goes well!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas