Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Bushwacker

Default Telephone

We have our first cruise scheduled on the Sensation out of New Orleans on March 3rd. Of course the wife is wanting to have a way for the family to contact us in case of an emergency or something. Is there an emergency number or way to contact you while on board. I know the cabins have phones. How are the rates?? Expensive I'm sure??
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Keri Send a message via MSN to Keri Send a message via Yahoo to Keri
Default Re: Telephone

I'm not sure about a telephone, but I'll be on the same cruise! It'll be my first time, but I'm going with my roommates who have been more than once!
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Keri Send a message via MSN to Keri Send a message via Yahoo to Keri
Default Re: Re: Telephone

Actually, i lied..I think we're leaving March 7th, its the 5 day cruise.
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Cost of ship-to-shore.....about $10/minute.

Old January 16th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Passenger

when you get your documentation there is a section called "communicating with the ship", the cost is 9.50 per minute, but you can have peace of mind that you can be reached. Also you can call from your room at anytime (I think for the same rate, but it may be a little more), on our first cruise we called home to our 2 sons twice and only talked a minute, it was worth the cost to us to know that the were doing okay.
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

we used the room phone twice , my mom stayed on the phone for awhile and ended up paying 150.00 for the call --- but she was glad to pay for it, and was happy that she had a way to communicate to home. we were stuck at sea during the hurricanes last AUG
so we had to have someone from home re-book our flights etc....

it was VERY nice to have that phone

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Susanne

On my last cruise, (about 5 years ago) I used my cell phone from the ship, (we were docked in San Juan) and the cost was minimal. Had very good reception. My carrier is Sprint. Talked probably about 15 min., and the cost was less than $10.00. Also, at the port in San Juan, there are telephones set up, and I've also used them in the past. It was like standing in a closet. The cost was MUCH cheaper than the phones on the ship. Alot of the crew use these phones also to call home, so there may be a line.
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Susanne

On my last cruise, (about 5 years ago) I used my cell phone from the ship, (we were docked in San Juan) and the cost was minimal. Had very good reception. My carrier is Sprint. Talked probably about 15 min., and the cost was less than $10.00. Also, at the port in San Juan, there are telephones set up, and I've also used them in the past. It was like standing in a closet. The cost was MUCH cheaper than the phones on the ship. Alot of the crew use these phones also to call home, so there may be a line.
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Susanne

Old January 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Susanne

Old January 17th, 2005, 02:36 PM
BigCraig

use the internet cafe, if you are on this board then no problem and cheaper then $10 per minute.
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Admiral

If you do choose to use a cell phone, check with your provider about which ports you're going to. In some cases, the "roaming charges" are very expensive. In addition, some of the "calling cards" you'll buy before you board won't work in the Caribbean.

Old January 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Passenger

So do longdistance calls from land to our room phones still cost the ship to shore cost?

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Whoever places the call from land to your ship will be charged about $10/minute.

Old January 18th, 2005, 05:22 AM
BigCraig

not exactly there jleg, you pay $10 per minute whether you are calling or receiving and if someone calls you they still pay long distance plus your #10 per minute receiving charge.
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:11 PM
hschipper

On the Victory, the costs was $6.99 per minute, not $10. Still expensive. We used our cell phones in San Juan and St. Thomas (calls from both ports were no additional charge with Cingular).
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM
jim & lolita

If we go with a group again, we will probably rent a satellite phone for $75 a week and $1.75 per minute, and then hope everyone will ante up for their airtime.
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM
First Mate

It is good to know about the phone costs - I enjoy not being bothered on my vacation and this is one way not to be. Of course if it is a true emergancy then it is good to know you can communicate back home.
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Admiral

if you want to be able to check in on what's going on back home, using the internet would be your best bet. Dash off a quick e-mail.