Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Beginner

Default Grand Cayman/Cozumel What to do?

I am having a little trouble figuring out what to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I am going on the Inspiration on 2/14. Honetly, what I really want to do is relax at a beach. But I was told we are not at Grand Cayman for a very long time and it may not be worth going to the beach? Is that true? If so, any suggestions at what I should do? I am all about relaxing. In Cozumel, I want to go to the beach. Chakanaa park? Is it fun? Or the Playa Mia Beach? Or even Paradise beach? What would u suggest? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Grand Cayman/Cozumel What to do?

We did the Stingray Swim and Snorkel with Soto's Cruises in Grand Cayman and had a blast. It was $24/pp, we went to two snorkel sites and the stingray sandbar. Trip took about 2.5 hours.

In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park for the day. We loved it. The kids snorkeled right off the beach, they had shade huts, beach chairs, restrooms, lockers, showers, bars and restaurants. They also have a botanical garden and a Mayan ruin replica. We did the sea lion swim and helmet diving here too.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Passenger

We were in Cozumel in Sept. 04 and went the Chankanaab Park for the Sea Trek Helmet Dive. The helmet dive was fun but the snorkling that we did there was the best! It was offered "free" by the tour guide who met us at Puenta Langosta for the helmet dive. Mario was the very understanding and terrific instructor for the snorkling since we'd never done this before. The beach area was very clean and nice and the water was very calm. No big splashing waves. Be far warned that you may see an iguana or so passing through at the park. They run wild there. We saw only 2 that day but it was enough to give me the willies the think that I could be on the sand relaxing and have one of them stroll up to me! Don't let that stop you going there because that is just a minor part of the whole trip which was WONDERFUL!

Be sure to take your underwater camera because you will have wonderful sights to take pictures of! Have a wonderful time!

D.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM
DarHat

In either place, you can take a taxi to the beach.

In Cozumel, catch a taxi right across from the main downtown pier to Paradise beach for $13/trip each way (taxis can typically hold four people - split with others, if you like). Admittance to Paradise was $5 each, I believe, and you get to use some of the water toys (small kayaks, water trampoline) for no additional charge. The waiters on the beach don't pester you too much. We had a plate of nachos and some beer for $reasonable. Your ship might go to other piers and they are all closer to Paradise. The cost of VW Beetles for rental didn't look too bad, if you'd like to drive all the way around the island and see what you can see. These are Old Beetles. Something like $50 per day, maybe it was less.

In Grand Cayman, I'm presuming you'll dock at George Town, you can catch a taxi right at the tender pier and go to some part of Seven Mile beach that looks good to you. We found one that charged $10 for beach admittance with no particular amenities. We didn't get off our ship particularly quickly and didn't hurry back but were on board long before it sailed. We weren't impressed with the shopping.

I'm pretty sure the beaches are, technically, free, but the little beach front resorts put out lounge chairs, etc, and will most likely hound you to pay up if can somehow avoid their gate. Think of it as reasonably priced extortion. In Grand Cayman, the cabbies appeared to be in cahoots with the beach resort operators. The taxis in Cozumel seemed more independent.

Your neighborhood bookstore or library probably has a guide to the Caribbean that can help you rather more than I can.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

In GrandCayman do the stingrays, it was great. We booked with Nativeway it was $25 a person.

11/15/03 Triumph First Cruise...So long ago, where has the time gone?
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Passenger

We went on the Conquest in Jun 03, and for the Caymans, we did two excursions (yes, in one day). We did the beginners scuba diving, they train you in a pool, then walk you out into the ocean, about 40 feet is the max. That was fun.

The 2nd excursion, was swimming with the stingrays. The water was a bit choppy, but they had life preservers, and you could swim with them and feed them as well.