Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Beginner

Default Hurricane Season

Okay this may sound like a stupid question but when is hurricane season? We are goin on the Holiday in July out of Mobile. I hope that i have not done a boo boo by booking at this time. Never thought of hurricanes til my little sis that is goin ask me about it. I am from Oklahoma i know bout tornados don't know a thing bout hurricanes. This will be our first time to cruise and my sis's second time. There first time to cruise was not a good thing boat rocked lots and they could not go to one port because of weather.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Hurricane Season

If I remember right I believe it's August - November

11/15/03 Triumph First Cruise...So long ago, where has the time gone?
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Nope, Hurricane season actually starts in June but the hieght of the season is in September. I really would not worry much about hurricanes as you just chance ports.
Jim

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:32 PM
tanner2

Default Re: Re: Hurricane Season

At least the prices are cheaper during hurricane season, never hurts to take a chance. We have been on 3 cruises during hurricane season, paid all most half price !!!!!!
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Admiral

The official hurricane season is June 1 through Nov. 30. The odds of a storm rise as the summer progresses. The peak times are in Sept. up to around the 1st-2nd week of Oct., then drop off sharply.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal

I live in Florida, and the hurricane season is from June 1-November 30. I would say you are more likely to have problems towards the end of August through September. My boyfriend and I were booked on the Triump last September and we kept our fingers crossed the whole month that our cruise wouldn't be affected by one of the many storms we encountered. Unfortunately, our fingers were not crossed tight enough because our cruise was affected. Carnival did make up for the change in intinerary and the number of days by giving us a $100pp onboard credit and 30% refund on that cruise. Even though Carnival compensated us for the change, I still would never book late into hurricane season again.
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM
DENISE H

we went in oct after all the hurricane one of our ports of call was to grand caymans
but carnival cancel the port of grand cayman because there was damage to the port
during the hurricane we went to a differnnt port instead that was the only problem we had hope this helps you
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Prices are cheaper after the end of August but not because it's hurricane season. They're lower because all the children are back in school and there's less families going. Peak sailing times are June, July and August and any other times the children have vacation such as spring break and President's week.
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Yeoman

The wife and i have always sailed in Aug. and Sept. So far we have been real lucky. We've only encountered 1 tropical storm out of 3 cruises.
The prices are diffently cheaper.That's a plus, but a risk we take. But the real reason we sail then, is because of our jobs. Thats about the only time we both can take off together.

Okie, Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Happy Sailing;
david

1999- Enchanted Isle
2001- Inspiration
2003- Conquest
2005- Sensation ( booked Sept.24)
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
cinnamon girl

Does this hurricane season also apply to the Pacific? We are booked late September on Vancouver to Hawaii.
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:24 AM
bjkeen

June through November. We had our quota of hurricanes here in Florida last summer. I am hoping it will be a long time before we have more.
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:42 AM
Admiral

We also always book our cruises during hurricane season and only once was our cruise affected. Even then, we still went to different ports and the cruise director did an AMAZING job of setting up shore excursions for us on short notice. With all of the advanced warning systems they have these days, you should never have to worry about getting stuck in the middle of something major. Can't beat the price for sailing during this time...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Prices are cheaper when school is in session AND because of hurricane season. We are booking again in September this year, although the hurricanes certainly changed our itinerary last September!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:30 PM
bjkeen

Normally the ships Captain tries to stay as far away from hurricanes as possible. There was a ship that sailed into one of the hurricanes last summer (I don't remember which one) beats me why they cruised that close. There were people with broken bones.

I have cruised in October too. The prices are much cheaper than in the summer. Everywhere I have cruised the water was smooth, except for sailing into the Tropical Disturbance. And for some reason everytime I sail to the Bahamas; I get in a nasty storm returning home.
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM
Passenger

"Does this hurricane season also apply to the Pacific? We are booked late September on Vancouver to Hawaii."

I would say yes, but very seldom do huricanes make it to Hawaii. So I would not worry about it to much.

Keep your count down going, Enjoy
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:45 PM
candy15

We cruised during hurricane season, but I guess it was towards the end--Oct 22. We had gorgeous weather, and all our worry was for naught! Hope you have the same.
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM
candy15

Hi, John. We're thinking of sailing the Triumph in Oct. We've gone only in October two other times (Western Caribbean and Mexican Riviera) and had great weather. I wonder if our luck will hold out. But am wondering how the Triumph is. We sailed the Destiny in the past--are these ships pretty similar? How did you find it? Thanks so much.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM
bjkeen

Much to my surprise I was told by my Sister-n-Law who lives on an island in the (South Pacific) that the hurricanes develop on that side of the world and travel this way. She says they never have hurricanes over there.

Guam has tythons (hurricanes).
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Hurricanes, typhoons and tropical cyclones are basically regional names for these storms. The storms forming in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexica, the Caribbean and N. Eastern Pacific are hurricanes. The storms in the South Pacific, N.W. Pacific and Central Pacific are Typhoons and Cyclones, depending on their location in the Pacific.
I'm not a meteorolgist but hurricanes don't form in the south Pacific and travel to the U.S. When hurricane season arrives and you watch the weather channel, you will see that they pay a lot of attention to storm systems coming off Africa moving east and to tropical depressions forming in the Gulf and Caribbean.
There is a lot of info. about these storms that can be had by checking " Ask Jeeves", Google, etc. Whatever they are called, they are bad news for sure.
If I remember correctly, the word " hurricane " is a Caribe Indian word meaning " big wind with bad spirit " or something to that effect. Sounds like they named it right.