Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Default where to store sail & sign card and camera when on the b

Looking for info. on what is a safe place to place your sail and sign cards, camera equip. and money for incidentals when enjoying a day at the beach while at port in the Eastern Caribean. Got any tips you could share. Traveled in the past in a group so it wasn't a problem, someone was always on the sand with the "goods".

Appreciate any help / advise that can be given.

D.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:23 AM
anniversarycruisin'

Default Re: where to store sail & sign card and camera when on t

Good question! Any advice out there? What have other cruisers done in this situation?
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

As for cash & cards, those water proof containers they sell in the gift shop are excellent, but as for the camera, you should make sure someone is watching those, or locked up in the safe in the stateroom.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

I read this somewhere a while ago....

Put your valuables in a sealed plastic bag, dig a hole in the sand (hopefully, noone is watching), bury your bag in the sand and then place your beach towel over the top to 'mark your spot' - of course you'd probably want to line up some sort of landmark in case someone moved your towel.

Not sure if I would use this method but did find it interesting and original.

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM
gatorclaw

The bury method works great. But (duh!) DO NOT FORGET IT!!!

You could be in a real world of hurt if you forget it. I was in Barbados and had safely hidden it in the sand. We had taken our stuff and an hour later or so went to have drinks (fortuately in the same area) and lo and behold, I hadn't dug up my wallet.
By this time it was dark... fortuantely I found it without too much trouble, but if we had taken a taxi all the way back to this ship. Oh boy... that would have been terrible.

Also, I would recommend getting a waterproof bag (I have an Aquapac ($40-$50) and it works perfectly) to store your wallet and camera both. Also I have a EPA- Marine camera housing. It's a flexible housing for your camera ($60-$70) so you can take it with you in the water and take hundreds of pics. So you a) keep your camera safe with you and b)have awesome underwater pics you couldn't get otherwise. You can buy both of those on Amazon.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

The camera should be a waterproof disposable if you know you are going to the beach and the S&S card is okay to get wet but I suggest one of those waterproof containers that you wear around your neck as being better. That said, it was I who did and posted the dig a hole in the sand and bury it under your towel, just make sure nobody is watching you and that you know where it is. We have done it many times placing them in a plastic ziplock type bag and 'play' in the sand until nobody is looking and drop them in and cover them quickly up. We then move the towel over just enough to cover it and know where it is so that we can retrieve it when we leave. It works but a locker is a better place and being able to take it with you is best.
Jim

Old January 19th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sclmkl

Hi,

I have a small waist pack which I put my wallet (canvas) which contains, money, cruise card ( plastic) I put the wallet in a ziptop sandwich bag and then in another one
(opposite direction) and I have never had a problem...I purchased the waist pack at walmart..It dries in a little while and I bring a couple of dozen baggies..I have been on 9 cruises and have swam, dived, tubed, kayaked and snorkeled and never lost a thing to water.. Even my cigarettes. .Just make sure the seals are tight and dont forget second bag. I also don't bring "good " cameras to the beach... I put that in the safe on the ship and use the disposable, either waterproof or regular on the beaches or where it might get damaged

Sue
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)
Default Re: Re: where to store sail & sign card and camera when

Too FUNNY!!! ,

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)
Default Re: Re: where to store sail & sign card and camera when

In Cozemel, some of the beaches had lockers with keys that could be rented. We used those and had no trouble. don't know about the beaches in Eastern Island. I will find that out my self in May.

I think the one man on the beach with the goods was a great idea if you have that option. Kind of like the designated driver theory....

In our case, that would be mom. She would not enjoy getting inthe water, but would be happy to watch.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sign and sail card is waterproof, you can swim with it in a zippered pocket and nothing will happen to it, the signature wont even wipe away. Cash well I don't know what to tell you there the same with the camera. I hate carrying anything on me anyways. Remember though you can go on and off the boat to get things as you need them you might want to look at your time frame and figure out how to budget your time to avoid carrying a lot of items. Good question though, and thanks for the hidden sand trick to who ever suggested it. I never thought of that.