Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Vickilynn

Default First time with Carnival

Hi everyone,
Although this will be our 5th cruise, this will be our first on Carnival. We are booked on the Carnival Destiny 2-27-05 out of San Juan. ( our first southern Caribbean cruise) We have previously cruised with RCCL, Princess and Costa. We chose Carnival this year mainly due to it's fabulous itinerary. ( Barbado, St. Thomas, Aruba etc.) Because of the number of negative reviews We have been reading, we sure would like to hear something positive. We are also looking for a nice hotel for the night before. We have reserved the Embassy Suites, but are looking at other options. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First time with Carnival

The Destiny is a very nice ship. Those that are complaining are usually the ones that were in what is known as the "night-owl" cabins directly over the Disco. After it was realized the problem in the location of these couple of cabins they were eliminated in the Triumph the next in line to be built and those cabins on the Destiny were reduced with the knowledge that they were noisy. The others complain because they do not like the fact that many Purto Ricans are also onboard. I leave that fact alone as I disagree with them on this point. The Itinary is fantastic and even more so if you are the type that loves to meet new people and cultures. The islands are really beautiful. Unfortunately there are those that want to sail to exoptic places but also want it to look like and act like the USA. Sorry, doesn't work that way as there are some very poor nations and people tend to speak their native language and not speak English all that well. <G> Go and enjoy and write your own review when you return. I for one think that the Southern Caribbean is the nicest cruise of all.
Jim

Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I could not agree more. I have read more positive cruise reviews than I have negative. I finally get a chance to sail the Destiny in July. I am staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan (formerly the Wyndham). It is directly across the street from the pier. Many say that you could walk vs. taking a cab. I'll see for myself once I get there. I have heard that the Embassy Suites is a nice hotel to stay at as well. If you are looking for a closer hotel to the pier I would try one in Old San Juan.

Legend OTS 12/26/07
Carnival Destiny 7/1/07
Radiance OTS 12/26/06
Carnival Destiny 7/17/2005
Carnival Inspiration 12/30/2001 - Honeymoon
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Passenger

We just did the Destiny last April and had a blast. We had done 2 previous cruises with Carnival with no problems but were concerned as well due to some negative reviews. The crew, ports, food, and overall cleanliness of the ship was fabulous! I did notice the Destiny is showing 'some' signs of her age, that is to be expected but nothing to complain about. There were some people complaining about the Puerto Ricans but we're from Canada and love the diversity.

In San Juan we stayed at the Wyndham as well and it was perfect.

As for the ports, Aruba is AMAZING and my favorite port so far! We rented a jeep from a place right outside the ship for $80 for the day. You can't get lost in Aruba because which ever way the divi-divi trees are pointing is the way back to your ship.

Have a wonderful time!

Triumph!!!

Destiny 04
Spirit 02
Paradise 99
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Happy Camper

Also any ship sailing from Peuto Rico will have many people from there on board - RCL, Celebrity, Carnival etc... So that should not be a deciding factor on choosing Carnival. Carnival has many things that others do not. But it is not for everyone. We love Carnival but the best way to know what you like is to do what you are doing and try it! Have a great time!!! Debbie
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Vickilynn

Default Re: Re: First time with Carnival

Thanks everyone for your insight. I really don't know why I was even concerned, after all, we 're going on a cruise! As far as we're concerned there just isn't any better vacation than a cruise! And you're right, how will we know unless we try it. Carnival Destiny here we come!
Thanks again, Vicki
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Vicki,
My husband and I will be going on our 4th Carnival cruise in April. They have all been fabulous. We went on the Destiny back in 2000 and had a great time. Of course Aruba was our favorite port. We have also sailed once on Princess which was great too, but we always go back to Carnival. We are nearing retirement and it was still fun for us. The only negative thing we have seen on any of our cruises was a guy on the Princess cruise. Something I wouldn't write on here. But that wouldn't stop us from sailing with Princess again. Go for it and enjoy.

until Hawaii/VanCouver, Carnival Spirit
Dave & Karen