Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Anita Morehart

Default Cozumel Excursions

I need some help from the experienced Cozumel cruisers. I have found on this website information about Nachi Cocom Beach Club and I looked at their website and have seen what they have to offer. The problem is that they are not listed on the Carnival website as an excursion. My husband thinks we need to stick with Carnival. He feels it would be safer(he is a prosecutor and has seen some ugly stuff). I looked at the Carnival website and found Playa Mia Beach Break Deluxe. It looks the same as the other beach but it has two dollar signs $$ and that is $50.00- $100.00 pp. The only difference I see is that a bus picks you up for the Playa beach and you would have to take a taxi to the other. We have 4 kids (8,9, and two 14) and are looking for the most cost effective excursion.

Thank you
Anita
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:25 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Cozumel Excursions

Cozumel is one of those places that is easy to "do on your own". The taxis are fixed rate and the prices to common places/beaches is posted at the taxi stand--we always confirm before getting in the taxi anyway. The prices posted are per taxi, not per person. With 4 kids, you might have to take 2 taxis.....I am not sure if there are van taxis and if their pricing is different (if this issue gets buried, try asking this specific question).

Anyway, last time we visited, we went to Chankanaab. Really enjoyed it. $12 per person to get in (not sure if your younger kids would be cheaper). It's a marine preserve and has great snorkeling (bring your own gear or rent it there). There are chairs to lay out in under palapas, a nature walk with replica mayan ruins and mayan village, small mini-golf (couple of dollars to play), restaraunt, clean bathrooms! There are no vendors on the beach to bother you, although, if you set up near the restaurant, the waiter will bring food/drinks right to you, if you want. There's also a small shopping area with good prices and no pressure.

To try something different, we might go to Paradise Beach this time. Free to use the chairs/umbrellas (of course, they'll want us to order some food/drinks). $8 wristband to use the water toys (water trampoline, "iceberg", snorkeling equipment--requires $20 deposit, kayaks and floats). (NOTE.......the price used to be $5, but is going up to $8 on June 1). With your kids, this might be a good option. Our 2 teen boys are looking forward to the water activities.

The bottom line is, it's easy to tour Cozumel on your own and if you're just going to a beach, it's a lot less expensive to go out on your own.
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:36 PM
cali-croozer

Me again.........I just looked up the prices for you on Carnival's website (we're leaving in a couple of weeks so I can access the prices). This way you know what you're comparing to.

Playa Mia Deluxe (includes transportation, open bar, buffet, water toys): $75
Playa Mia (includes open bar, water toys): $33
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:54 PM
Yeoman

I agree with cali-croozer, In Grand Cayman and Cozumel, I feel like I could stay there a few days just to enjoy the beaches and the clear water. I've been to both Grand Cayman , and Cozumel, 3 times, and hopefully this Sept. will be the 4'th. I'm hoping by Sept. they will have alot more of the damage cleaned up from last years hurricanes. Both islands are very beautiful.
If you can get your husband to go to Nachi, you can always take a cab to Nachi Cocom Beach Club. Just get the price straight before you go.

Also the Chankanaab Park is real nice, and not far from the ship. Paradise Beach is another good choice. No matter where you pick, its all a great choice ! No worries there mate !

Happy cruising;
david
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM
rosetattoo

Sailed on the Valor the first week of May and our group took a taxi to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. The beach was nice, bar with snack-type food available, lounge chairs and $5 to use floats, kayaks, water trampoline, etc. BUT, the water was filthy, dark brown with lots of debris floating around and it smelled horrible. Maybe they had a big storm pass thru before we arrived that churned everything up but I would never take a chance on going there again. Also, there are lots of rocks you have to navigate over to get into the dirty water, people were falling hard on the rocks trying to get in and some were crawling in on their hands and knees. I did not go in the water but my sister did and she came out of the water with debris all over her and she smelled terrible.
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Has anyone used Carnival's Highlights and Shopping tour in Cozumel? Was wondering if this tour stops for looks at sites around Cozumel before shopping. We kind of like to tour the areas to get a brief glimpse of culture and daily life. Just would like to hear from a person experienced in this Carnival excursion.
Old June 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Anita,
We cruised to Cozumel last July and did not take the ship's excursions because we decided to spend our money on the Xcaret excursion (which was well worth the money). Cozumel was very easy, once you get off the ship and walk through the shopping area there are plenty of taxi's to take you where you like. Checked the price before we got in, I think it was 14.00 or 15.00 for all of us (we had 2 adults and 2 teen boys) to get to Paradise Beach. It was beautiful the day we were there, water was perfectly clear and the beach was clean. The boys used the kayaks, water trampoline and Iceberg (which was harder than they expected). They really liked the kayaks. (worth the $8 if you think your kids will like those) My husband and I layed in the lounge chairs and hammocks all day with the waiter servering us, it was terrific. Had a great, inexpensive lunch. Took a taxi back to town for a little shopping before boarding.

My point is that we felt very comfortable in Cozumel on our own. We go again this July and I think we might try Nachi Cocom for something new but Paradise was wonderful.

Old June 1st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Anita Morehart

Default Re: Re: Cozumel Excursions

Thanks for all the great advice. Keep the information coming and cali let me know how your cruise went when you get back

Anita
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:25 PM
cali-croozer

Anita.............I will post my experiences when I get back.
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:31 PM
cali-croozer

rosetattoo........I think there must have been a storm churning up the area at Paradise Beach just before you got there. You are not the first one to post that the water wasn't clear and had debris in it (about the same time you sailed too). I've never been there, hopefully it will be clear when we go.

PS......Anita.......one tip I learned from another poster with children is to check out the facilities that are available before you buy the wristband at Paradise Beach. Although they usually have everything out, the day this poster arrived, it was very windy and she bought the wristbands before she realized that the water tramp and the iceberg wouldn't be out that day---and that's what her kids were looking forward to the most so, she felt the money was wasted that day. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather!!!!