CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cruising down the Mississippi--What's it like? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/201725-cruising-down-mississippi-whats-like.html)

jajones January 31st, 2005 03:53 PM

Cruising down the Mississippi--What's it like?

For those who have done this, what's it like cruising down the Muddy Mississippi?

Post Edited (01-31-05 15:53)

cotton January 31st, 2005 05:37 PM

Re: Cruising down the Mississippi--What's it like?

Bumpy! It's not too bad, but the river is so swift, there are some bad patches to get through. Fortunately, it takes several hours (into the wee hours) to get from N.O. into the Gulf, and you'll probably be asleep for part of it......I'm assuming you're sailing out of N.O.

JoeMo January 31st, 2005 06:11 PM

Cruising down the Mississippi--What's it like?

We been down the mississippi 3 times now, and we have enjoyed it every time.
It is about 8 hours down the delta, and there are many sights to see, inland
seaports, towns, oil rigs and small boats going every which way. We almost skipped
dinner the first night out just to watch, but were kinda' hungry.
On the return trip, wake up early and enjoy the ride UP the river, it is awsome.

sa7776 January 31st, 2005 06:55 PM

It is awesome. You can feel the boat going around the curves and the scenery is great.
It is usually just after midnight when you clear land.

Cruisingrandma January 31st, 2005 06:58 PM

I thought it was so cool too. Lots to see and Just different then being in the ocean. You have to experience it for yourself. Happy cruising...

Lizzy January 31st, 2005 09:54 PM

When we came back down the river it was around dinnertime. When the ship turned into the river from the ocean, we all thought "what was that"? I did feel better with land on either side of me. You start to see oil rigs before you turn back down the river. It was neat to see along with some "civilization" on either banks.

cherylroy January 31st, 2005 10:13 PM

For all who have done this (and I have cruised down the Mississippi 5 time)...have you been there when the water turns from BLUE to MUDDY. It is soooo cool! Like a straight line -- one side blue...the other side Mississippi Mud! Just wondering if anyone else saw this
cheryl

Lisa W. February 12th, 2005 02:45 PM

It is fun to watch the river captain get off or on depending if you are coming or going.

themomtk February 12th, 2005 09:13 PM

I enjoyed my trip down the Mississippi. there is so much to see. The only way I noticed was there is a bump you feel on the ship when you cross over to the ocean.The sun set was very nice on the river. I was able to see all types of ships and barges. Things I don't get to see everyday. Then to awake to the best sunrise every on the gulf of Mexico.