Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Passenger

Default Just off the Carnval Paradise...

Hey everyone! I just got off the Carnival Paradise.

It was a pleasant surprise for us. I was expecting it to feel really small and maybe outdated...but that was NOT the case at all!

The ship is very nice, everything polished and kept extremely clean. The wood and brass was always being polished, windows and doors were kept streak and handprint clean. Everything just sparkled!

We went on the Pride last May so that is what we were comparing it to....I know I shouldn't have been, but we were! There seemed to be more lounges for people to go to for music and hanging out. There wasn't a disco like the Pride's Beauties...but that was okay.

The dining room was nice, very pretty with ceiling being elegant and lots of wood there too.

There was a great variety of food being served at all times in the other dining areas. Of course, 24 hr pizza was a big hit as usual with lots of people!

Room Service was really fast and there was a fairly good variety on that menu too. NOT huge, but good.

Our room steward was very nice and barely seen. But our room was always kept very clean and smelled great! I think they must spray something in there to make it smell so fresh. We had an ocean view room.....by the time DH had booked this trip(It was a complete surprise for me!), all the balcony rooms had been taken. There aren't a lot on the smaller ships.

We didn't do any excursions as we both had been to Ensenada many times before. So we just slept in, went to the gym, worked out and then had a late breakfast and then headed in to town. It was about a 10 minute walk. Nice day for it too!

I know a LOT of people won't eat anything off of the street carts, but really, they are COMPLETELY safe! I have done it MANY MANY times before. NEVER EVER gotten sick! The tacos are to DIE for! SOOOooo good! $1 will get you the best taco ever! I would NEVER drink any water while in Mexico though. We always take our own water when we travel to Mexico. So make sure you have bottled water when you go!

Some people at our table did do the wine tour and they enjoyed it. Some went to La Bufadora....if you have never been there, then do that one. The shopping is good there and the blow hole is interesting. But we had been there several times before, so didn't want to do that. We were looking for complete and utter relaxation with this trip....no schedules or other people to have to deal with!

If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask!
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Just off the Carnval Paradise...

Great review of your trip ... I plan on doing a Paradise run sometime this year hopefully.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Harry

this time let Art pack his own suitcase!!!

Old February 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
MDavis

MomOnTheGo: thanks for the review. I am going on the Paradise 2/14. You said that you worked out while on the ship. Did you participate in any aerobics classes? Do you know if they are free? I heard that they charge for pilates classes, but not sure about aerobics. My husband is like you, eats anything from the carts and has never gotten sick. We spent ten days in Puerta Vallarta and he and my brother-in-law took the bus each day into town to purchase food from the carts. It certainly is better! Looking forward to the cruise and can't wait!

Old February 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM
Passenger

MDavis....I had signed up for the Pilates Class (All classes are $10) but decided the night before NOT to do it since it was at 8 am and I didn't want to be pushed for time. If we decided to uh...*sleep* in then I would miss the class and be charged for it. So I called the night before (the spa had already closed) and left a message with the pursers desk and they got the message to the right person in the spa. So no charge to me.

The gym was smaller than the Pride's, but both DH and I liked the equipment BETTER! It was great! There were always machines available and lots of fitness balls and free weights. While on the treadmill one morning I was able to watch a whole school of dolphins playing in front of the ship! It was great! Sure don't have that at home! Ha ha

The spa also has daily specials for great treatments.....and if you participate in any of the on board seminars, they will give you a slight discount on a treatment as well. But they say which treatment! It is NOT just a general discount for whatever YOU want.

MDavis, if you have any questions, just ask away!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the review, we are going on the Paradise Dec. 05 for my daughter's 18th birthday. It is nice to hear from someone who has actually been on the same ship.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, also, does the Paradise have a waterslid?
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Yes, they do have a waterslide on the lido deck. Lots of kids and adults were using it!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Denver

Hello!

We were also on the Paradise Jan 28-31, 2005. We had a blast!! This was our first cruise and we cant wait to go on another. Land-legs take a little getting used to but other than that we were fine. I didnt really enjoy so much our dinner in the Formal dining room but we loved the dining room on the back of the Lido deck! I took alot of pictures but the ones of the show on Sunday night didnt turn out too well. How did you like the comedians? The first was great... I would definately reccomend this cruise to anyone! If anyone needs a hotel recommendation for Long Beach, we have a GREAT one!!

Dee & DJ
Carnival Paradise 01/28/2005
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Yes, the shows were OUTSTANDING....I think they were definintely on par with those on the 7 Day Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Pride....SHOUT was wonderful. I got great shots of the dancers! My kids were so exicted to see the costumes!

Were you one of those Hairy Chest guys on the lido deck? They were hailarious! If that was your first cruise, then I am sure you will go on another one!

The formal night food was okay...I thought our first night was incredible....lobster and prime rib! OH MY! DH had two entrees each night!

Glad you had a great time, too!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Denver
Default Re: Re: Just off the Carnval Paradise...

No... My FiancÚ said he was going to be in that contest but when he seen the guys up there he was SOOO grateful he didnt do it!! I loved SHOUT! It was a great show. So sad now that we missed the dinner the first night. Lobster and Prime Rib... OH MY!! We will definately be going on another one very soon! We stayed on Upperdeck (U82 & U87) My brothers went with us. I was very impressed that our beds were already put together just by mentioning it when we were going to early check-in. I even got the steward to show me how to make a monkey towel!!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Denver..I know what you mean about the whole Hairy Chest Contest thing...I told my husband JOKINGLY that he should do it....(he is NOT that hairy!)and I was so glad that he wasn't that adventurous! HOW EMBARRASSING! It was funny to watch though! There is NO way I would want to "judge" that contest! I think they were downing quite a few beers in ordedr to just do it!

We were on the Empress Deck. Nice room with ocean view!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Mom, Did you have a lot of noise above you? I will be on Paradise 3/21/2005. I will have ov on Empress deck under mall. Which room were you in?
I have really bad allergies to perfume, was the room scent really strong?
Also, was the lines for the pizza long? and was the pizza really that good? I am a pizza snob, if not good would rather eat other stuff. sweets .
Did any body with your group use camp carnival? if so how was the staff? and activities?
Did you eat breakfast at the buffet? how was it? The breakfast in dinning room is early, may not get my DD to it in time.
Did the grill outside do steak sandwiches or just burgers and dogs?
Was there punch and lemonade all day long at the Lido deck?Trying to budget for trip.
Did you do Catalina? how hard was it to get a tender?
Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

WE stayed at the Best Western Long Beach. We paid $110 for our room which also included the shuttle and babysitting our van for the length of our cruise. We had the most gigantic room we have ever had. It was beautiful and they were bringing in all new furniture and drapes. I would definetly stay there next time [ in Dec, we are already planning our next trip, I think it is a sickness ]
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Okay, Tia...Here I go to answer your questin in the order you asked them:

We had NO noise above us....We were In E10...nice room....no balcony but window and away from the elevators! No crying babies either! ONE night there was a smell of cigarettes...but it went away. From then on out, our room had No smell except US! WHat is an ov under the mall? Sorry...just not savvy to that term! Ha ha

THere was NEVER a line to get pizza. On any cruise ship I have been on there has never been a line! Hhhhhmm.. We really liked the pizza...not to "saucy" and the crust was light....not at all cardboardy!

It was just myself and my husband....so I can't tell you anything about Camp Carnival, except that the ONE time I did see the kids with counselors, it looked like they were having a great time. Faces painted, making crafts and oh yes there was another time we saw them eating ice cream sundaes!!

We never ate breakfast in the main dining room...always in the other. THere was always plenty of food available. You could have them make you an omlet, or go for the already made scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, there were bagels, toast, assorted sweet rolls, bowls of fruit, yogurt.

I only saw hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill out on the lido deck. Punch and lemonade, water, tea and coffee were available all day at all the drink stations.

Our trip was the THREE day..not four day, so I can't help you out with the tender for Catalina. SORRY!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Thanks Mom for the review. We will be on her this Monday and I was starting to wonder if folks sailed on her, now my fears are now unfounded! Since we are doing the 4 dayer I'll try to answer TIA question when we get back.

Suzieb
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
MDavis

Denver, when we go 2/14 on the Paradise, we are staying in U98. We have never had a suite before. Did you think it was worth the extra money, or did you get upgraded?
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mom thanks for the answers, My room is an ocean view- ov and we are a floor
under the mall above us.
Denver when you said the dinning room on the back of the Lido deck, did you mean the buffet?
Buffet food is usually cold or old, was the buffet food really that good or should
I really try to make the dinning room for lunch dinner?
Denver we had a cat 12 suite, but I had to change date and that same room was $200.00 more per person- they really jerk you around on spring break.
we are kind of near the elevators but it looks like there is some kind of wall between my room and elevator, I hope so I a light sleeper.

45 more days till party time!!!!