Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Guaranteed ocean view cabin

Hello, everybody. I booked a guaranteed ocean view cabin on the Imagination sailing on March 24 from Miami. Does anybody know if there's a way I can find out what my assigned cabin is? What is the kelly method, and how does it work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Guaranteed ocean view cabin

you should have your documents by now
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:21 AM
bjkeen

If you booked a "guarantee" you do not have an assigned cabin. With a guarantee you are guaranteed the same category that you paid for and possibly an upgrade. Your docs. will not have a cabin number on them. When you reach the port the Porter will tell you your cabin number so you can write it on your luggage tags. Calling the cruise company will not help either. They do not decide which cabins the guarantees are until the assigned are all booked. So often the cruise companies do not know which cabin you will have until just before you get on the cruise ship.

Years ago, when I first booked a cruise the ta gave me a "guarantee", my ta did not tell me that she was booking me a guarantee and I had specified the cabin that I wanted (an assigned). If you book the cabin that you want by giving the cabin number (providing it is available) this is called an "assigned" cabin. That was not what I received. Needless to say, I never used this ta again. She should have told me in advance that she booked me a guarantee. Some people love guarantees. A couple of people from my cruise group always book a guaranteed status. It is cheaper than an assigned cabin and you may end up with a better upgrade than what I pay for with an assigned. On my last cruise, a couple in my group booked a guarantee and paided a lot less than I did, and they got upgraded higher on the ship than I was. Some people I cruise with do not care where they are located on the ship, as long as they are on the ship when it sails.

It all depends on what you require. Do you want a guarantee? Do you want a cabin assignment? Does location matter to you?

Feel free to email me if I can be of further assistance to you. Just put in the subject line that you are from cruisemates, so I don't delete your email.

Happy Cruising!
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your input, folks.
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Admiral

The Kelley method involves going onto the Carnival website and buying a bon voyage gift and sending it to yourself. You select the cabin number for your gift and an "error" message returns for every cabin you select until you hit the one you are currently assigned to. You do this for every cabin on the ship until you get a "hit." That's when you know what cabin you are assigned.

Problem is, you are only assigned that cabin at that point in time and your assignment can change at any time.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

getsemani,

I book Gty always (5 cruises). Last August on the Sensation, I was able to use kelly and found our rooms (we had two together). We were about this same distance from cruise sail date. The numbers held up all the way to the dock.

Also, in our docs, the room listed as Gty, however there were a bunch of numbers in a row on the back of (I think) the sign and sail document. Embedded in the numbers were the same ones we found on Kelly (a letter, then 4 numbers)

It may not work for everyone this way. Also, I read that the cruise line has to their passenger list to homeland security at about 72 hours prior to sail. So evrything is mostly in place by that time.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Normally even with a GTY your cabin will be on your documents. Now if the ship isn't sold out you may not have it listed on your docs and it might just say GTY on them. In that case they were not sure which cabin they would place you in until very close to sailing so you just tell the porter when you drop off your bags that you haven't been assigned a cabin on your docs and he will look it up on the manifest and provode you with the proper luggage tags to fillout quickly and place on your luggage.
Jim

Old February 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

You guys are great! Thanks
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

You guys are great! Thanks.

I think it would be time consuming to check cabin by cabin until I hit the right one. Would I have to type in the cabins that are still available, or all cabins on the ship?
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
sailgirl@comcast.net

Topcat, How can you get 2 rooms together and still book a guarantee? We have always booked specific room because we need to have the kids (teens) near us.
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

sailgirl - you cannot use a guarantee to book two rooms if they need to be close together - much better to go the assigned cabin route. Problems can occur if one of the cabins is upgraded and the other is not.....even if you request when booking the guarantee that you be close together, you can end up on different ends of the ship and even on different floors.

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Sailgril & Lisa

I booked both the rooms at the same time, GTY and my TA linked them together for dinining preference.

When we got our docs, our rooms were side by side.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Admiral

If you use the Kelly method, you don't have to check every cabin on the ship, unless you booked a 1A! You are "guaranteed" at least a cabin in the category you booked. So, if you booked an oceanview, you only need to check 6A's and up, an inside cabin, 4A's and up, etc.

If your ship is sold out you very likely will have already been assigned a cabin if you are sailing in March.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
stutts

If you go to funpass on Carnival site. (works even if you have already filled it out) there will be an option at the bottom of page to finish funpass or order gifts, If you attempt to order gifts from here your cabin number will automatically show up. It does not work just going to order gifts you must fill out funpass and go from there.
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Stutts, I just tried ordering gifts through the Funpass to see if I'm already assigned a cabin, but every time I clicked on the "order gifts" button, I kept getting this message in red: object reference not set to an instance of an object.

What the heck does that mean?