Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:38 PM
patticake

Default ordered sandwiches etc. from room service for aday in port

we haave a agroup of nine five adults and four kids on the victory in july.

i have talked to someone who did order lunch made up from room service for her whole gang the night before their day in cozumel and put it in a collapsible cooler with ice all night , ready for the next morning.

has anyone else done this? i guess their are ice machines on every floor. next question,are the ice machines always empty? help, help, help what kinds of things did you order from room service with the sandwiches? were you able to get fruit, or drinks?
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ordered sandwiches etc. from room service for aday in po

We have never bothered to do this. If we get really hungry we either grab a bit of the local fare or go back to the ship.
Jim

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can order from room service - the sandwiches are quite good. You can even order in the morning before you leave for the day.

Can't tell you about the ice machines. Our ice bucket was always filled and that's all we needed.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:52 PM
cali-croozer

I know many people do this, but I don't know if you are supposed to bring food off the ship............if you have a collapsable cooler they might search it. I seem to remember the garbage can near the gangway filled with confiscated food. Now, if you just pack a couple of snacks in your bag, that should be ok. Also remember, it's HOT in port so some of the food won't be that good a few hours later. What is really important, I think, is to have water in port and, maybe a few snacks. We try to have everyone eat a big breakfast so we don't have to eat a full meal in port. It's all up to you in the end, just don't end up carrying everyone's stuff (I learned my lesson from last time......I was the one with the huge beach bag with everyone's towel, snorkel gear...........next time, everyone gets their own small bag!! )
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Patticake

dear calicrooser, i have to laugh, because i do not want to be the one carrying all the towels, snorkeling gear, and then also food and any medical needs for everyone. my husband does end up carrying things too. it is always, gramma do you have bandaids, or gramma do you have lip balm.? no one ever wants to admit they mightneed this stuff but always come tome for all of it. with five adults and four kids they always need something. thanks patticake.
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM
sls

A lot of ports don't allow you to bring fruit ashore. The Capers that are delivered the night before the port usually have a notice if you can take food off the ship.

sls
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on 7 Carnival cruises and trust me they do not check your bags when you leave the ship.
Tip you cabin steward before the cruise starts and tell him to keep the cooler filled w ice on port days.
Bring some tin foil to wrap the sandwiches in. You can also grab oranges,apples and cereal boxes to take along for snacking.
We find it easiest if everyone brings a knapsack (not bags that need to be carried) so you can bring lots of stuff .
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our cruise from Vancouver to Alaska, a woman tried to take a sandwich off the port and an employee wouldn't let her. He said the food was from Canada and you're not supposed to bring food into the USA unless it was cleared by customs. I guess because it had lettuce on it and your not supposed to bring in fruits or veggies. They'd probably be even more alert for people bringing food ashore in a more exotic place where food can be a problem and check peoples' bags. He didn't search her, she just tried to walk off with it.
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Admiral

It all depends upon your ports, its usually fresh fruits and veggies that they don't want coming into the country. Check your Capers the night before it will tell you. We usually have a big breakfast to hold us over then we either grab something on the island or come back to the ship for lunch.(One less thing to cart around)
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Yeoman

I can't imagine having to carry all our stuff plus food! Between the camera, towels, suntan lotion etc etc, the bag was already full. We did order the cookie tray from room service to snack on and brought bottled water, but no major meals. I would hate to miss a sampling of "foreign" food!

Holiday May 2000
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Being the one who carries most everything (since I'm usually cruising with 3 kids +- 21 yr old step daughter), I like to eat in the ports instead of carrying extra food. Ordering some cookies and stowing them away isn't a bad idea, but, hey, you don't have to pay for food on the cruise, so why not splurge and eat at the port? (Unless someone's a picky eater).