Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Surprise cruise for hubby

Hello,

I planned a western caribbean cruise on Imagination for March 24. It's a surprise for my husband of 14 years. He knows I've planned a trip for both of us to Miami, but he doesn't know that the following day, we'll be boarding a ship to Key West, and Cozumel. I can't wait to see his expression when we get to the pier to board. I don't know if I'll be able to keep the secret from him until we get there.

I got a hotel room through Priceline for the night before, I got great fares from Philly to Miami on Delta, I got a guaranteed cabin (I'm dying to find out what cabin I'm assigned to. I paid for a category 6A cabin, but I know it's not going to be on the Riviera Deck), I've got the babysitter (sisters make great, inexpensive babysitters), So far so good.

Our flight leaves to Miami at 7:40 p.m. so we'll be headed to the airport as soon as I'm off from work. I'm a high school teacher and our spring break starts on the 25th, but I'm taking a personal on the 24th. I want to take full advantage of the days, and come back in plenty of time to do something special with our three kids.

My husband doesn't have the slightest clue of what I have up in my sleeve. I've been to two cruises with Carnival, the first being on the Triumph from New York to Canada, and second being on the Ecstasy from Long Beach to Catalina Isand, and Ensenada. This is going to be his first cruise ever, and I'm dying to see his expression. I know he's going to be tongue-tied.

What us wives do!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Ricky Sr

Default Re: Surprise cruise for hubby

I THINK THAT IS A GREAT GIFT. I DONE THE SAME THING FOR OUR FIRST, I TOLD MY WIFE WE WERE GOING TO NEW ORLEANS FOR MARDI GRAS AND SINCE MARDI GRAS PARADES IN NEW ORLEANS STARTS 2 WEEKS BEFORE MARDI GRAS DAY THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO GET THERE A WEEK EARLY. ONLY SHE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WE WOULD BE TAKING A 5 DAY CRUISE FROM MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY AND STILL HAVE THE REST OF THAT WEEKEND THROUGH MARDI GRAS DAY TO SPEND IN NEW ORLEANS. SHE WAS ABSOLUTLY SPEECHLESS WHEN WE ARRIVED AT THE CRUISE TERMINAL. SHE ACTUALLY SAID THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD KEEP THIS FROM HER. SHE ALSO DIDN'T KNOW THAT I HAD ALSO GOT HER BROTHER AND SISTER-IN-LAW FROM COLORADO THAT SHE HADN'T SEEN IN ABOUT 3 YEARS TO COME ALONG WITH US. SHE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THAT UNTIL WE ARRIVED AT THE DINING TABLE ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF THE CRUISE. I'M NOT SURE HOW OR WHY WE DIDN'T RUN INTO EACH OTHER PRIOR TO DINING THAT NIGHT BUT IT SURE WAS A BIG SURPRISE AND THE CRUISE WAS GREAT. RICKY
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

WOW , that is awesome !!

I bet your husband is going to be VERY suprised!!!
keep it a secret -- it will be hard, but so worth it.

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Believe me, it's sooo hard not saying anything to my hubby. This morning, as I was helping him get ready for work, I almost told him, but I bit my tongue.

A couple of years ago, we had booked a cruise from New York to Bermuda, and had to cancel. Needless to say, we were both disappointed.

How can I spend 39 days without giving my secret away?
HELP!!!!

All I can do is envision everything, from our boarding the plane in Philly to being on the ship. When I went on my first cruise with my sister, I vowed to myself, that I would never cruise without my husband. Well, my second cruise was without my husband, it was with my sis and my mom, but this cruise is going to be super special.

The hardest part about cruising is the actual waiting for your cruise date to roll around.
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM
venice

if he comes to this website like you do, he'll know (smile).
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Admiral

OH keep the secret! It will be well worth it. Make sure you have a camera in your hand at the moment he realizes he's getting on the ship.

I think you ought to "lure" him to the pier saying "I just want to see the big ships before they take off", then SURPRISE you're getting on!

I love a surprise more than most, so I am living vicariously through you until your cruise!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Three summers ago, I planned a surprise trip to Niagara Falls. We had sent the kids to my mom's house in Puerto Rico, and we had plenty of time to do things.

He knew we were going somewhere, but didn't know where. I told him a couple of weeks before the trip, and he got all choked up, but this is the MOTHER of all surprises.

Has anybody done the Mayan Ruins in Tulum? I think that would be a great shore excursion. We won't have any problems with the language since we're both spanish, and speak the language fluently. My hubby doesn't speak english, so he will feel at home.

My husband doesn't get near the computer, let alone surf the net. He leaves all of that to me. So, I have a greater chance of being struck by lightning, than him coming across this message board.
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Yeoman

As a husband, I think what your doing is great ! Its awesome ! I would keep it a secret too. This is going to be a wonderful cruise for you both !
May you have sunny skies and smooth sailing ! Tell us about it when you return !

David
Sensation- 2005 (booked sept.24)
Conquest - 2003
Inspiration- 2001
Enchanted Isle- 1999
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Reality

You know, its funny.....I've read quite a few threads posted by husbands who wanted to surprise their wife with a cruise, and women posted that the guys shouldn't do so, and that they (the women) would be upset if their husband planned a vacation like this without their knowledge. Hmmmm.........
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Reality

Get, you live in the United States and your husband doesn't speak English? Nice.
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, Reality, you know how that saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." That's my husband.

About my husband planning a cruise for the both of us without my knowledge. Well, if it did happen (which I know it never will) I would keel over. Not because I would be upset, but by shock to know the trouble he would go through to plan the whole thing.

I wouldn't be upset of him doing it behind my back. If anything, I would be left speechless, tongue-tied, and starry-eyed. Whew!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Passenger

Just don't forget to pack his passport/birth certificate!

I did the same thing for DH for his 40th birthday this year, except I gave the cruise to my husband at Christmas because I couldn't keep my mouth shut until July.

Just keep talking to the people here on the boards so you'll have someone to talk to about your upcoming cruise!
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM
mlp412

What a nice surprise!!! Have a great time!!!!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Markie B

BE CAREFUL OF WHERE YOU STAY IN DOWNTOWN MIAMI. MANY OF THE HOTELS ARE NOT VERY NICE (AS I EXPIERENCED). YOU'RE BETTER TO STAY OUT OF DOWNTOWN!

HAVE FUN ON YOUR SURPRISE TRIP!
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's becoming soooo hard not to open my mouth and say anything to my husband.

One of the first things I'm packing are our birth certificates. We do have our passports...somewhere. Sometimes you put something away, and then you can't remember where, and it magically reappears when you least expect it.

My husband stored our passports in such a safe place he can't remember where. I've turned the house inside out looking for those coveted documents, but I can't find them. If we had a dog house, I would look in there too, but we don't.

Our pre cruise night will be at the Sofitel Miami Airport Hotel, and we'll be taking a taxi to port. I'm gonna "lure" him to port.

It's funny because just today he came home from work talking about one of his coworkers going on a caribbean cruise with his family in April. He was telling me how silly it is to go to Florida, or to any other place besides New York to start a cruise. IF HE ONLY KNEW. I was seconds away from spilling the beans, but I bit my tongue.

THIS IS KILLING ME!!
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Captain

Hang in there!!!

akcruiser

Old February 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal

Don't spoil the surprise. For my boyfriend's Christmas/birthday present, I surprised him with a 3 night....4 day cruise to the Bahamas. It was his first time on a cruise, so I didn't want to do anything longer in case he hated cruising. Also, that was all my pocket book could afford. Since I didn't have the actual tickets to wrap, I bought a little plastic boat, and had the catalog of the cruiseline. I wrapped them separately and made him open the boat first, then the catalog. He was really surprised. I think that made the whole trip even more fun. Then, I bought a cake, and he was surprised at dinner one night. Since then, he is addicted to cruising and we are counting down the days until our 7 night, E. Caribbean cruise onboard the Victory. This will be his first 7 day. Have fun on your cruise.
Old February 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paralegal, how did your boyfriend react when he made the connection between the plastic boat and the catalog? What was his impression when he saw the ship for the first time?
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
cajuncrab

Whenever you are with hubby and feel like you are about to tell him, shut yourself up by KISSING him. That should re-direct your thoughts.

And to all those other women out there who would be mad at thier man for planning a surprise cruise.....ARE YOU CRAZY? I would flip out at that kind of surprise. I think that would be awesome. And this is one of the best surprises you could give your hubby, I am sure. Have a great time - I know you will and good luck with not telling him! I have a big mouth...I'd probably cave in and tell my guy.
Old February 18th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I was not going to tell hubby at first about our cruise (and surprise him) but there was no way that i'd be able to keep it a secret. plus with all the expense--he had to know. but i'd thought about it anyway

Old February 21st, 2005, 07:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

After planning this surprise trip, I've run into a snag. I had all my ducks in a row, and now my sis can't babysit for me.

My husband still doesn't know about the cruise part, and he wants to take the kids to Miami. I paid a pretty penny for this cruise, and we just can't afford to take the kids this time, and besides I paid $209 rt plane tickets from Philadelphia to Miami, now the price has gone up to over $600 for the same flights.

As much as I would love to take the kids with us, this is supposed to be a trip just for hubby and me. We always do things with our children, we go on day trips, and such, but I want alone time with the father of my kids.

I have no problems getting another babysitter, it's the fact that hubby wants the kids along.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
TriciaB

Default Re: Re: Surprise cruise for hubby

Oh No!! Get another sitter!! Just tell your husband you want some alone time!!! It will be worth it!
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM
Admiral

You're gonna break down, I can feel it. It's coming soon. I know it. You can't stand it any longer and you're gonna spill the beans.

STOP

Don't do it. Tell your husband you want a vacation without the kids. You want to take a break from motherhood for a few days. You want to walk on the beach at night with him and not worry about the kids. You want to vacation with him without having to keep the kids occupied.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal
Default Re: Re: Surprise cruise for hubby

When he first saw the plastic boat, he was like "o.k.", but then I told him to open the second present and then he laughed. He was really surprised about the cruise and that was a fun way to ge things started. He thought I bought the boat for his "tub" time.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I HAVEN'T SPILLED THE BEANS YET!!!!!

We only have 5 more days before our cruise, and I'm really proud of myself. I've been able to bite my tongue, thus far. We're flying to Miami on Wednesday night, and our cruise is on Thursday.

I booked the Mayan ruins in Tulum excursion, and I'm very excited, but the dreams are killing me. The other night I dreamt that we had missed the ship in Miami and weren't able to go; the night after that I dreamt that we weren't allowed to board because I had forgotten to take my docs (including birth certificates and proof of identification).

This is supposed to be a stress free vacation, and I'm even stressing in my dreams!!!
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Admiral

getsemani, I am so excited for you. Congratulations on keeping the secret!!! You will be happy you did. Can't wait till you return and share your DH reactions and your cruise experience. I just told my husband what you're doing and he said "That would be so cool. How exciting" ! The weird cruise dreams are part of the pre-cruise experience. I've had many of the same, like going to the airport the wrong day, etc. When you return, you'll have "I'm still on the ship dreams"!! HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE!!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Yeoman

yes, I'm so proud of you ! You have held it all in, and planned your little heart away !
I pray that all the parts of your vacation will come together ! From the baby sitter, to all your flights, to your hotel at the port ! May your cruise be smooth sailing, and sunny skies ! For all you've done, you deserve the best of times on your vacation/cruise !

Let us know how everything turns out ! Post some pics in the photo gallery if you can.

Happy sailing;
david
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Passenger

I guess you did not find the passports. What you can do to see if he remember where he put them is to say lets use the passports to fly. They are alot easier than DL's.
But anyway glad you are holding out by not telling, and ENJOY your cruise!!

M/V Sun Princess 10-19-2005
M/V Paradise 02-2005
S/S Norway 05-2000
USS Gray 1978-1979
USS Kirk 1976-1978
USS Rathburne 1973-1975
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

i gave up on the passports. They're no where to be found, and he can't remember where he put them even if his life depended on it.