Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:17 PM
desrtskies

Default 1st time cruiser question

My husband and I are taking our first cruise on the Inspiration on April 11th out of Tampa. We were wondering which night is the formal night of the cruise?

Also when taking excursions, we are planning on doing the dolphin swim in cozumel and the stringray city tour in grand caymans, what should you bring along with you? For example, are there lockers to put your id and money and digital camera, or video camera in. Or should you not bring things like digital cameras or video cameras with you on excursions. What advice can you give us virgin travelers?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Susan
Inspiration 4/05
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 1st time cruiser question

I would get underwater cameras for the excursions, that way you will be able to keep your more expensive equipment dry. However, if you want to take it with you ashore, you can. I have not been to Cozumel, but I would not worry about leaving your cameras on the boat at Stingray City, there is always a crew member onboard that watches over your things. As far as your money and id, you can get a waterproof wallet or bag to keep them with you. If you want a video of what you did ahore most tour operators for Stingray City do have people doing a video of your experience that you can purchase from them. I thought it was a bit pricey $30 to $40, but much less expensive than having to replace your own camera.

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Yeoman

The wife and I sailed on the Inspiration in 2001. By far, this was the best cruise we have ever been on. The service, crew members, and the atmosphere onboard was terrific !
That was a week long party for sure ! I (we) couldn't complain about anything all week. It was just perfect !
That was one cruise, if I could've stayed on-board for another week, I would have for sure ! it was just simply awesome !

We had the late sitting for dinner, but I can't remember what night was the formal night.
The food was wonderful everynight in the main dining room. We did eat Breakfast in the main dining room a couple mornings, and it was good . But usually, we went to the buffet for lunch.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, and may you have sunny skies all week !
Try to give us a review when you return, if you can.
Happy sailing;
david

2005- Sensation (Sept.24) booked
2003- Conquest
2001- Inspiration
1999-Enchanted Isle
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Admiral

buy an underwater camera for your excursions. Leave the digital/video camera locked in your safe in your stateroom.
Channunkaab National Park - yes they have lockers, and you can purchase a video of your dolphin swim.
Most folks just wear their bathingsuits under a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Make sure you have a good waterproof sunscreen. If you have your own snorkel gear, bring it along. The Sting Ray excursions provide snorkel gear. If you want to snorkel after your dolphin swim you will have to rent it either on the ship or at the park.
Formal night is Usually the night of your first full day at sea.
Don't bring a lot of cash on your excursions, just enough for cab fare, tip, food and small souveniors. For large ticket items use your credit card.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

desrtskies,

We did the dolphin swim in Cozemel, summer 03. Yes, they do have lockers and we used them. We did not have any trouble, but you would have to decide for yourself if they are for you.. A lot of people were using them. I didn't hear of any problems myself.

We did take an underwater disposable camer and got some great pictures.

Formal night is usually the 2nd night of the cruise on a five day and the 2nd & 6th night on a seven day.

Have fun!

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:59 PM
First Mate

I've tried the disposable underwater cameras and have always been disappointed with the results. This year I bought an underwater plastic casing that was specifically designed for my digital camera (check your manufacturers website to see if one is available for your camera...most do).

I took a lot of pictures when we went snorkeling in St. Thomas. My pictures turned out so amazing. I have a few of some sea turtles and if I didn't tell you that they were 20-30 feet below us, you would think that I took them on land standing about 2 feet above them. Same vivid beauty with the stingray, starfish and coral reef/fish. The clarity that you get from your digital camera far exceeds any disposable. Some of our family members took pictures with their disposable cameras. They can't believe the difference between theirs and mine.

Let me know if you'd like to see any of my "underwater pictures"

Have fun!
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Passenger

if i were you i"d do sting ray city with a local right off the ship. its alot cheaper and you can go as soon as you leave the ship. that way you have more time for the beach and shopping. they will drop you off anywhere youike.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
First Mate

Hi, I did both those excursions last March and I brought my wallet with my money and sign and sale card along with a towel, sunscreen, underwater camera and bottle of water. They have lockers to use while at the park and they do take photos and videos of the swim for you to purchase. I took my camera and had one of the group members take a picture of me and the dolphin and purchased the video. Also in Grand Cayman I went with sotos cruises and took the same things even though I drank the lemonaide on the boat and purchased the video of the snorkel trip! I had no worries of my things being taken on either excursion. Have fun and don't worry.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last year, while cruising to Nassau, I took a cheap backpack (gotta love Wal-mart) and kept my shorts/tshirt/sunscreen/sunglasses, etc in it while snorkeling. I covered it up with sand under my lounge chair since my friend and I were in the water at the same time. It kept all my stuff clean and dry and then I just threw it over my shoulder when we left.

I liked having all my stuff with me and I also kept my money&credit cards in a "fishing license" holder (waterproof) on a lanyard around my neck while snorkeling.

Nobody ever bothered my stuff, but I felt more comfortable "wearing" my money on me.

Just an idea that worked for me........

Happy Cruising!!

Old February 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM
desrtskies

Default Re: Re: 1st time cruiser question

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we are going to take your advice and get the underwater camera for the Stingray tour and swimming with the dolphins. I will probably bring my digital to Cozumel since I can use the lockers but leave the video camera on the ship in the room safe. I also will definitely go and buy a waterproof pouch at Sports Authority. Does anyone know what they are called exactly?