Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Aly612

Default DRINKING QUESTION???

If saling on a caribbean cruise.... Is this considered international waters? My boyfriend and i are going on our first cruise. He's 23, but i'm only 20. Would i be able to drink on the ship? Any info, greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: DRINKING QUESTION???

Same rules apply for drinking on the ship as they do on land in the United States. Yhe ports...another thing altogether.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Passenger

jleg is correct. You fun pass card will be flagged and you will not be able to purchase alcohol on the ship at all.

Carnival Sensation - June 1995
Carnival Sensation - July 1996
Carnival Destiny - June 1999
Carnival Glory - May 2004
Carnival Valor -
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Some ships have a policy that 18 to 20 y/o can have beer, wine and can gamble. They just can't order hard liquor.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

have your bf order all drinks, you should be allset. lol have fun
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Aly612

Default Re: Re: DRINKING QUESTION???

Do you know what ships allow you to drink beer and wine?
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Are you going with someone? You may have more of a problem than drinking as many cruise lines will not allow two folks your age to occupy a cabin without someone being over 25. Most times exceptions are made for married couples. Look into this before you show up and get turned away at the pier.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Papabill is right about that, I went on Carnival and so long as everyone is over 21 you are allset with no one being over 25 but if someone under 21 is in a cabin the other person has to be over 25 unless it is a married couple.

The ship serves everything to drink, when I said have your bf order it. It would mean he can always order it and you can drink it in your room, or try and drink it out in the open. I am not condoning (sp) this however it is observations made during my experience aboard one of these ships.

anymore questions ask away and you are doing the right thing by researching things first.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Passenger

That's great advice from PapaBill, I didn't even think of that. Take a look at carnival's policies.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age..._on_Board.aspx
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Policy.aspx

Also, it does not vary ship to ship on Carnival. These are company policies, not ship to ship policies. Perhaps CA Cruiser was referring to other ships on other cruise lines. You can find answers to most questions on Carnivals website under FAQ's (bottom of page)

Carnival Valor -
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Jim Randle

Drinking age on Carnival
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age..._on_Board.aspx

Minimum age to travel on Carnival
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Policy.aspx

Note the denied boarding and 100% cancellation penalty. They are serious about this.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:02 AM
runway

Our kids went on a cruise for their honeymoon and were 21 and 22 they had to have their marriage lisence with them and birth certificates and they were checked as they said "like they were going into a communist country". All joking aside they said that it was all verified and even the seals were chked to be sure not copies. They must have a reason for this , They had a great time but be very sure your ducks are in a row because it sounds like they will turn away anyone deviating from this.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Aly612,

Everyone is correct if you are cruising alone. You can't cruise if your BF is 23 and you are 20. Since you are under 21, you must have someone with you over 25 y/o, unless you're married, then you will need a marriage certificate.

But to answer your other question, RCI has their drinking age lower except for Alaska cruises. From their website: Guests eighteen to twenty (18-20) years of age are welcome to enjoy beer and wine. Ffor all Alaska sailings, guests must be 21 years of age in order to consume beer, wine and any other alcoholic beverages.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Shipbound

The age limit is inforced by the cruiselines it has nothing to do with being in international waters however if you are within 12 miles of the Uniterd States you are in the United States and you must conform with US laws. The reason CCL set the 21 age limit is to cut down on the parties during spring break .
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Yes that is true you are supposed to be 21 BUT >>>>we saw a ton of under age drinking on our cruise .My friend was even letting her 18 yr old have the drink of the day and nothing was ever said ..Just be careful !! Have fun

Old February 14th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Admiral

ALY, Pay attention to what these posters have said. If it is just you and your boyfriend, you will NOT be sailing on a Carnival ship. Never mind the drinking age. ON a RCI ship you can cruise and you can partake of beer and wine only. They do code your cards so they know your age and the machine that charges the drink to your account will not work so they will not serve you.
Jim

Old February 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Nyla

Once you get off the ship you can drink all you want. It's been my experience that bars in Mexico and the caribbean do not card anybody.
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Passenger

LISTEN TO JIM. Although what everyone is saying about the drinking on Carnival is true, you're only issue right now is your ability to get on the ship. You need to consider a different cruise line if you don't have someone who is 25 or older.

Carnival Valor -
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Beginner

Do any of you know how much they do search when you return to the ship like if you bought a bottle of liquior. Or in general what has your experience been?? We leave on Victory 2/27 from Miami to Cozumel.
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Everything you bring back with you is put through an x-ray machine so they do know what you have. They will 99% of the time tell you to go to a table on the side and they will tag your booze and deliver it to your cabin on the last day. You ar not supposed to bring it onboard for consumption.
Jim

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Ame

I went on a family cruise when I was 14 and was served drinks all the time only ONE time was I asked if I wanted an Al. or NON Al. drink And to think this was one of them Mickey Mouse type cruises 14 and able to drink to whole time I was on the ship. Wonder if my parents ever even knew but then again I never did see them much on the ship ... I spent most all my time parting at the night clubs on the ship.

=O) Ame
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:11 PM
cruisinfam

When we were on the fantasy last year we saw a young looking girl get ID'd at the night club on the ship by staff at the door of the club. She was old enough though, just didn't look it.