Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:16 PM
mlp412

Default What IS safe to drink in port?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but, what is safe to drink while in port.? I know bottled water or soda of course but, what if we go to a restaurant while in Mexico or Jamacia and they don't have bottled drinks? There would be ice in the sodas or even ice in the drink if we had a Pina Colada or something. Am I wrong or would that be a no no? We have always carried bottled water with us before and not eaten except on the ship so it wasn't an issue. Don't want to get sick--we'd like to visit Carlos and Charlies and Margaritaville.
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What IS safe to drink in port?

Most major places [like the ones you mentioned] distill their water.
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:28 AM
bjkeen

My cousin travels all over the world while working. He says, "Do not eat salad in other countries." Salad is washed in local water. He says, "You are right about the fuu fuu drinks made with ice, if you drink them and you get the water into your system." This is a good way to get sick. He also said, "While traveling he only drinks bottled water." Once in the early days of traveling, he ate a salad in another country, consequentially he picked up a nasty parasite. He was very sick all the way home, and for a couple of weeks before the doctors found out what it was.
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:50 AM
First Mate

We drank drinks with ice in Costa Maya at Uvero Beach. They get their ice from a company
that pasturizes the water. We did not have a problem. We each had about 7 drinks.
We just ask about the ice and explained why we were concerned.
Happy Sailing.............
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:49 AM
JD

Just drink all the BOOZE you can it kills all the germs JD
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Cactuscruise

As a traveler and a food lover, I've eaten the food and drank the water in the many places ( the US, Europe, the carribean, and in the Pacific) and never gotten sick. Maybe I'm just lucky but this is 2005, it's not like many 30 years ago when in a lot of places the water wasn't treated. How can you possibly avoid the water? Not drinking the tap water, okay. Not using the ice, ok. But the food you eat is prepared with the same water so how can you possibly avoid it? Take your trip and enjoy the food, drink bottled water if you choose but unless you don't eat anything on land you can't avoid the water.
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM
First Mate

Personally, I would err on the side of caution. If you want to eat or drink while in port then take precautions for what you can and get immunizations before going.

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:49 AM
groupof6

Never had a problem in Coz-any drink @ C&Cs They say the good ice has a hole in it (not sure).
Most of the ports rely heavily($$) on the cruise ships and cannot afford the rep of bad food or illness.
same common sense as in the states should get you through.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
mlp412

Thanks!! I appreciate all of the input--I know I'm probably over obsessing about it.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Passenger

As stated above, better be safe than sorry. Ice, fresh fruit and salad are often questionable. Many folks can get away with it, but it's not worth risking your cruise.

Bottled anything; soda, beer, water are of cours fine.

I too have been fortunate; travel to Mexico 6 time/year. Europe as well. Never gotten more than a little rumbly, but my wife came down with a high fever bug last trip to Acapulco and it was pretty alarming.

Get used to 'no ice'.

Karl
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Admiral

As you know, anything bottles is fine. Just make sure the bottle is sealed before you open it. Water in ports like Cozumel etc is mostly purified so no worries on the drinks but be cautious of anything sold from street vendors. As for the ice in drinks, as someone else said, the alcohol kills the bugs. <VBG>
Jim

Old February 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

This is getting me concerned--How about the croydon plantation tour in Jamaica--They serve fresh fruit etc. and fruit drinks --and lunch--would this all be safe?? or is it something we should avoid?? ps we don't drink booze or coffee etc.

Old February 15th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Yeoman

We have been on 2 western Caribbean trips and DH has never seen Cozumel while "healthy". He ate a taco (with lettuce)in Costa Maya and was a cheap date the next day as he only consumed Kaopectate for the next 24 hrs. I could just tell him about the wonderful drinks at Carlos & Charlies <G>.. Some lemonade drinks in Jamaica made him a very nervous parasailer.(no potty in the air lol) on the next trip to Cozumel. He is a good sport...we will see if he "learned anything" from this experience on our next cruise. ....

Drink the tequila with some salt and No lime (it will save you from having to sip Kaopectate cocktails)....... and then have a nice wheelchair ride back to the ship...

Enjoy!

Lesley

Conquest
Glory
Valor
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

I have never been to Jamaica YET...but in Cozumel. the cruise ship even encourages you to eat food at places like Pancho's Backyard, Carols and Charlies and some other places. I know they could not afford to send anyone to a place that would make them sick. Ask your cruise director or at the purser's desk for a list of recomended places to eat...and if it is a place that is a ship's tour I would think you would be very safe eating their food....BUT if all else fails...ask the Ships Doctor for his/her recomendations before hitting shore
Have a great trip!
Chyna

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Admiral

karessamom....I wouldn't worry. Established firms/tour destinations [not street vendors] have a "vested interest" [read: "a desire for mney for future business"] in making sure you stay healthy.
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I were married in Jamaica and spent a week exploring the island. We ate fruit, veggies, drank iced drinks with no problem. Same with Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. I guess maybe we are lucky, but I would have no problem doing it again.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Immunizations won't protect you from "bugs" (parasites) you might get in Mexico.

Bottled mexican beer! Yum!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:14 PM
e

Usually they will tell you aboard the ship which restuarants are safe to drink in.
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:21 PM
mlp412

Thanks again for all of the advice!! My hubby will be fine--beer all the way for him but, I don' t drink so the alcohol killing the bugs adivce won't work for me! !!!!