Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Got big discount with Carnival

Just to let everyone know who might not. We got a wonderful discount with Carnvial for having someone active in the military. They active person does not have to cruise but has to be related to you. Plus you have to fax Carnival a military ID to show that they are active. We were shocked at the price. We booked immediatly.

CARNIVAL CELEBRATION 6/03

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/05
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Got big discount with Carnival

Related how? Husband/wife, son/mother - what?

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would like to know what relationship qualifies also. I have two brothers who are on active duty right now. One is in Iraq and the other in Colorado but leaving within the month for Iraq too. God Bless our troops.
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM
tantra

If you don't mind my asking - What kind of discount are you refering to? My DW is retired Coast Guard with 20+ years. In the past we have had prices as good as $450pp ($650pp including the port taxes etc.) for a 7 day cruise on Glory for a guarantee 4a. Only other cost was tips. Are the military discounts even better?
Thanks
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Admiral

We have 3 sons in the Marines and last year Carnival gave us $100 military discount off per person. Carnival is the only cruise line that offered us this. Military and Airline familes can also book great deals on the Interline website.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Captain

We just booked the Triumph and got a $200pp discount for retired military.

AKcruiser

Old February 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

The active military member is my nephew. We are taking his mother. We got an ocean view, catagory 6A with possible upgrade for about $399.00 per person. It's a 7 day cruise.

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/05
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Admiral

While I think it is wonderful that Carnival and maybe some other lines are doing this, (I'm a Viet Vet myself), I would think it should only apply if the person in the military is in the booked party. Just doesn't seem right if it is just someone, someway related to your family and not even immediate family at that. Just my opinion.
Jim

Old February 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

As long as they are blood related then Carnival accepts that. He just got back from Iraq last week after a year. He is very happy for us.

GOD BLESS ARE TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/05
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM
First Mate

I agree with Jim, and I support our troops.

Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old February 17th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they allowed these vets to cruise with only paying port and taxes and even the immediate family such as spouse or Mom & Dad & brothers and sisters IF they are traveling with them. Other than that......not so much.
Jim

Post Edited (02-18-05 13:31)
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I talked to carnival about my trip and my brother who is active duty Army was going to be home from Iraq. They were going to give him a discount for the trip and me one because I am a past cruiser but they weren't going to do the military for both of us. Anyways I got a quote from them for a trip and I went to my travel agent and got a better deal he saved us $300.00 more than Carnival had quoted us with the discounts.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a good discount for everyone, or if it is just being in the right place at the right time. All these posts are somewhat the same with discounts but never the same. Everyone has had a different experience with the discounts they recieve or don't recieve.. I am confuse now. lol.

Victory
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Captain

I agree too Jim. I'm sure the rest of our family would like to receive the discount too, but when my children no longer qualified for a dependent ID card I feel their entitlement to a military discount should end as well. the other couple traveling with us is also retired military and thus have their own discount. Hopefully the cruiselines will take heed and offer the military person a port charge only fare if traveling with other family members thats a great idea!

AKcruiser

Old February 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

The only family members that qualify if the active member is not cruising are mother/father, spouse or dependent children under the age of 21.
If the active member is cruising they can book one cabin for themselves and one for an immediate family member listed above at the discount and can then book two more cabins at the miiltary friends and family rate which is usually about $40 more per person than the members discount for a total of 4 cabins.

Retired miltary can book one cabin and they have to be cruising in that cabin.

FYI new rule Widow/widower of retired miltary can now get the discount for their own cabin
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
CherieS

Why not discount ALL honorable discharges beginning from 1900s???? Why just 'todays' military? Mom, dads, aunts, uncles etc can't just walk into a commissary & shop, why military discounts for everyone?? It should be for the person that actually serves & spouse & children (like taxes). Many Nam Vets deserve a free cruise (or big discounts) more than the people with a list of 100 cruises under their names.
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are getting the discount because my nephews mother (my sister) is going with us and staying in the same room. She is the one who got us the discount.

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/05
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

I was on the Conquest two weeks ago and met a retired marine, he said he paid $600.00 total for him and his wife. He had a forward cabin with two port holes. Great deal. Believe me......that's not what I paid !!
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Does Carnival (or other cruise lines offer any discounts for other occupations? I think those in the military do a wonderful service for our country, but think there might be other occupations out there equally deserving of a disount.
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
First Mate

Wow, That's amazing since my sister in law who is cruising with me has a military ID and her brother is serving in this war right now. Wish I had known about that at the time I booked . Also, I just spoke to my sister in laws parents who went Feb 3 on the Sensation and they DID NOT get a discount for their son being in the military and no one even asked from Carnival. I don't think they expect people to just book and know you get a discount for being or having a family member in the military. They should ask when you book. But I am glad you did get a discount. Good for you. Always nice to save a few dollars!!!!

Old February 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

That was the first question that my TA at Carnival asked. They also include Fed-Ex, UPS, and Airline Employees.

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/05
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Captain

Carnival also offers AARP discounts. If in doubt ask to see what discounts are currently being offered before you book a reservation. The discount we recieved isn't offered on every sailing and isn't offered for every cabin category. It's lke all cruise fares...do your homework the better informed the better your chances are for a great deal.

AKcruiser

Old February 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Got big discount with Carnival

In many cases discounts like AARP are not as good as a TA can get you on his/her own. I'm both AARP and AAA but have never used that discount as it was not as much as other booking codes.
As for the poster that asked about why not all Honorably discharged vets? No, I don't even want one just for that as I personally feel everyone should serve their country if they can and yes I did for 7 years and I'm a Vietnam Vet, big deal. I did what I felt one should do. As for other professions? It is just those that can recipocate through discounts like airlines and other business. Are you thinking about police, fire, or teachers? While it might be a nice gesture it really wouldn't be right. I can see it now, a cruiseline employee gets stopped for speeding and tells the officer they need to let them go as they 'owe' them for giving them a big discount. Nope, not gonna happen. Police, fire and teaches do what they want to do out of a feeling of service and not what they can get out of it monitarily. (It shows with my pay and pensions I sure didn't get much! <>)
AS I said, I do think that during wartime it would be very nice and honorable to give a huge discount to service members and their 'immediate', (read that as mom&dad, brother/sister or wife and kids), families when the serviceman is with them and that's it.
Jim