Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Darla

Default Car Seat

My husband and I are taking our 4yr old daughter on our cruise with us. My question is should we take her a booster seat for the tour rides or cab rides? I know that we are not the only people to take young children with them.

Thanks in advance.
Darla

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Car Seat

As a Car Seat Technician I always recommend parents take their child's seat whenever they travel.

I'm assuming that when you say booster seat you are not talking of a seat w/ a harness in it that converts to a booster, but one that "boosts" the child so they fit into a lap/shoulder belt??

That said... you need to think when you will use it.

Definitely from your house to the airport and then the airport to the hotel and/or ship.

Just for that, it's worth bringing. I know I read a review here a year or so ago where a mom thought they were taking a shuttle from the airport in Miami and didn't bring her young child's seat and they ended up trying to take a taxi... the taxi refused to transport the child.

For excursions... that depends on where you are going and what kind of transport you are using. You can only use the booster in seat belt positions that have both a lap and shoulder belt. Many of the islands have lax laws on seat belts in cars so you may or may not be able to use the seat.

You cannot use the booster seat on the airplane.

If you are envisioning just using the seat to and from the airport I would investigate a low back booster seat. You can get one for $20 or less practically anywhere, it will fit in the overhead compartment on the plane easily (you want to try and avoid checking it) and then throw it in a suitcase or in the closet once you arrive at the ship.

HTH

Any questions just give a yell :-)

Christine
Mom to Bethany, 3.5yo and CPST
Century 2000
Imagination (2) 2004
Sensation 2005
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I work as a police officer and I can tell you that it is very important for you to bring your child's safety seat. I know that triple a puts out a book which has every states laws on such things as seatbelts and child safety laws. You can also go on state websites and check what the laws are for those states. I know in maine the age means something but it also has to work with the height and weight of the child. I know that in Maine at age four they will still be in a car seat, not a booster seat. Email me if you can't find that book and I will look it up for you are work. Just let me know where you are headed.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Darla - you will find that most of the buses, vans and taxis do not have seatbelts the islands do not have seatbelt laws like we do in the states. Call your airline and find out what the height and weight requirements are for a regular seat, if your daughter meets those requirements you do not need to bring her car seat, if not, then you need to bring the car seat (not a booster seat). When you get on the ship, just have your cabin steward store it for you.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:02 AM
Beginner

If your child is riding in your car currently in a HARNESSED seat (ie a convertible seat w/ a harness or a combination harnessed booster that harnesses to 40lbs then you use it as a booster w/o the harness over 40lbs) then you can use this seat on the airplane as long as it is FAA approved. Most car seats sold in the US are FAA approved... a handful are not... just look at the stickers on the seat it will say it there.

Most airline will tell you that a car seat is not "necessary" but the FAA recommends all children that do ride in harnessed seats also ride in them on airplanes.

Here are some guidelines for using car seats on airplanes...

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx

The above has a very complete explanation of all the intricacies of using car seats on airplanes along with pertinent links to the FAA, AAP and other sites for supporting info.

Please note... in my last post I was clear about NOT using the booster on the airplane because you can only use HARNESSED seats that are FAA approved. There are currently no booster seats approved for use on airplanes.

The previous poster is correct... if you have a harnessed seat you should use that and have your room steward store it for you w/ your luggage if necessary. We did that on our last cruise and it worked really well. My daughter was 2.5yo at the time and we brought her car seat. Used it to and from the airport on both sides of the trip, as well as to the pier from our pre-cruise hotel.

We did NOT use the car seat on the buses we went on for excursions. We could of used the car seat in the taxi in Grand Cayman but ended up not doing so since we traveled to the beach on a bus and then returned in the taxi. I couldn't think of anywhere we could have stored the car seat while we were walking the beach.

We rode in buses for excursions in Ocho Rios... and for Cozumel. Buses generally don't have seat belts (even here in the US) and have different safety features than cars. You cannot install a harnessed car seat in a vehicle unless there are seat belts and the seating position is forward facing (even for rear facing seats). That means no rear facing or side facing seats.

Oh and about laws.... US laws vary but FL allows children 4 & up to use an adult seat belt. BUT... the laws of physics supercede any state law... so if in a crash a 4yo in an adult belt could be seriously injured as they don't fit the restraint. Most laws are written that the children the law covers be in an "appropriate child restraint" and that they are "following manufacturer's instructions." SO if you have a large 3.5yo (ie really tall and/or over 40lbs) instead of a harnessed seat there is little chance you will receive a ticket for it. Although I always advocate keeping children in a harnessed seat as long as possible.

Hope this clarifies my post some??

Christine
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Darla

Thanks for the info we always use our car seat in the states but wanted to know if we needed to take it with us. Like in the taxis at cozumel and beliz we would like to take her to a beach there but when we were there before we didn't take her so I didn't pay attentention.

Darla
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Update straight from 2004 Digest of Motor Vehicle laws. This is pertaining to Florida Laws I am assuming that is where you are leaving from

Every operator of a motor vehicle shall, if the child is 5 years old or younger, provide for the protection of the child using a child restraint device or a seat belt. For children 3 years and under, such restraint device must be a seperate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat may be used.

Violation of the seat belt law is a secondary offense, HOWEVER VIOLATION OF THE CHILD RESTRAINT LAW IS A PRIMARY OFFENSE.

I hope this helps you out.
Anymore questions you can find them or have them answered at
www.fhp.state.fl.us or
www.hsmv.state.fl.us

Have a great trip.

Post Edited (02-22-05 19:39)