Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Patticake

Default the lagoon at chankanaab park

I am confused about the two different areas at the park. we are going in july on the victory. there are nine of us five adults and four kids ages 5 1/2, 8 1/2, 11 1/2, and 12 1/2. I think i understand the snorkeling area where you enter the water on stone steps.

now how deep is the water in that area? i do know the two older kids could handle this with no trouble. also we are bringing our own snorkeling equip. but do not have the float boards. can you rent just those there? can i buy those somewhere and pack. how bulky would they be? I know i would like a float board and i am not afraid of deeper water. this is a family trip. i am the grandma. my kids all can handle this area.

the two younger kids would probably like a beach area with sand where you can walk into the water and play. i am thinking this is the lagoon and they said it is very shallow. what do they mean by really shallow. someone mentioned on here that there is an area like that also at chankanaab. ibelieve it is a small area. also the two older girls would like also todo that too. could someone explain the setup of this park to me and how far these two areas are from each other. i am hoping there is a sandy beach going into the water. chankanaab really sounds like where we want to spend the day when we are in cozumel. thanks patticake
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: the lagoon at chankanaab park

The snorkeling area gets deep quickly..........as it is an marine preserve, floats are not allowed, but vests are. They do rent equipment at the park.

There is an area, with a sandy entrance to the water, where families with small children hang out. Although some people call it the lagoon it is not. Be aware that the "lagoon" is and has been closed for some time. Don't mistake this with the swimming area I just described. The lagoon is closed for swimming, but the nature trail takes you around it and you can get some beautiful pictures there.

The 2 areas are within walking distance, but not sight distance so if you want to stay together, you'll have to pick one spot or the other. I don't know if the sandy/shallow area has chairs and palapas. The sandy "beach" near the snorkeling area does have palapas and chairs. I would try to "park" there first, so you have access to shade. Then, you can explore and maybe just spend time at each of the spots. We left our things on our chairs, under the palapas when we snorkeled and went on the nature walk. Just take your valuables with you.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Patti, this is an awesome park, very clean place. Everyone will have fun, something for all. I am so excited about going again, was there in 02, going again in May. We are taking our 23 yr old daughter this time, can't wait for her to see this park! We didn't eat, was to busy. Had a pineapple drink (the drink was in a pineapple) ) as we were leaving. The snorkeling is great. If I remember correctly, the beach area was about waist deep, great for the little ones. We had our own snorkel masks, rented safety vests. They rent lockers. My husband purchased the helmet dive at the park for $50. Taxis run all day long between the park and the ships. Plenty of taxis waiting outside the park to take visitors back to town. Just hop off the ship, catch one of the many taxis, enjoy )
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Patti, My husband and my youngest(7 1/2) rented lifevests(US$5 each) at Chan.Park for their snorkelling-they both are not very good of swimmers. It was a great place for our family: nice gardens,snorkelling,beach area, etc. Wish we would have had more time there!!

Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

They will hand you a little brochure with map of the park as you enter. They do refer to the sandy beach area as 'the lagoon'. I'm 5'1", and I walk out halfway and I'm about waist deep. Perfect place for kiddies. There are several loungers under palapas in that area. If you go to the Chankanaab website (which I posted somewhere on here), the bottom photo is 'the lagoon' I'm speaking of. It's beautiful.

If you keep walking about 30 feet along the waterline (rocky area), there's the other beach. It's in plain sight of the 'lagoon'. LOTS of loungers and palapas there on a wide area of white sand. There's a lifeguard stand and the dive shops are located behind that. I had my own snorkel and mask, but rented fins and vest at $3 each......as it was my first snorkeling experience....Wonderful! At age 62, I finally discovered the beauty of undersea world. I was amazed at the colors of the fish, and the reef, and there are underwater statues. Be sure and take a waterproof camera. I had a disposable Fuji camera, and the pictures are fantastic.....like postcard quality.

Don't miss walking through the botanical gardens. There are replicated Mayan ruins, and some of the most beautiful flowers and plants I've ever seen. Also - HUGE iguanas - but they just sit on rocks and sun themselves, might stare at you, but won't move. The kids would probably like that.

I would NOT recommend letting your little ones go into the water by the snorkeling shore. It's quite rough getting into the water, the steps are slippery, and it drops off almost immediately to very deep water.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
cali-croozer

Cotton..........about the lagoon. There has been a lot of confusion about it because some have heard it is closed for swimming. I have my Chankanaab brochure and the lagoon is what I would call the lake you walk around on the nature tour. That is closed for swimming. The sandy beach area does not have a name on the brochure, just the number 8 for the sea trek and snuba meeting place. Maybe the brochures have been updated with new names, I went in 2003.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I just want to assure people that when they hear the lagoon is closed, they are not talking about the swimming area for small children. There was a thread about it awhile back and people were almost in a panic about it.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM
cali-croozer

PS................about the snorkeling area and sandy beach area.........when I said not in sight of each other, I pictured a family putting their things down and maybe separating, but still keeping an eye on each other. In that case, I don't think you can see both areas from one spot or another, unless you are in the water.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
BoosterMom

What everybody has said here is correct. We have been there twice, once where rocky area is and once on the little sandy beach. They are separated by the restaurant. This time we parked on the little beach (it isn't real deep and there is a row of jetty like rock formations that separate the shallow from the deep area. When we wanted to snorkel, we just walked over to rocky area where they are rock steps to go in. You can also snorkel on the other side of these jetty rocks off the little sandy beach. We were just there in January and from the sandy beach you can watch the Snuba and Dolphin Encounter excursion groups.........Be sure and order some nachos and a pina coloda from either George or Victor! Wonderful waiters!